Time for someone to cage the fly-away bird? (Norwich (A) Sat. 2018-12-8 15:00)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Time for someone to cage the fly-away bird? (Norwich (A) Sat. 2018-12-8 15:00)

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:16 pm

Fair play to them for putting in a performance like that against the top of the league after everything that's gone on.

This week can f*ck right off, though.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time for someone to cage the fly-away bird? (Norwich (A) Sat. 2018-12-8 15:00)

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:20 pm

They’ve shown great spirit there as well, credit where it’s due. We’d of lost that 5-0 under Lennon/Freedman. I’m afraid the off the field stuff means we’re still going down with about 10 points fewer than anyone else but at least there is no shame.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:20 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:03 pm
We must concede more last minute goals than almost every other team in all 4 leagues....
I’m struggling with that? Normally we just concede early and never get back into it!

Bristol City and Millwall are the only late ones I can think of (that have affected the result).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
We must concede more last minute goals than almost every other team in all 4 leagues....
Classic confirmation bias, PT.
https://www.soccerstats.com/timing.asp?league=england2
Soccerstats splits concessions into 10- or 15-minute sections. I assume it’s not yet updated with today’s figures, and it’s a different question to the hypothesis you present but in terms of goals from the 81st minute onwards (so “late” rather than “last-minute”), 16 of the division’s 24 teams had conceded more than us: Villa, Birmingham, Blackburn, Hull, Ipswich, Millwall, Norwich, Forest, Preston, QPR, Reading, Rotherham, Sheffield U, Sheffield W, West Brom and Wigan. Of these, Preston and Blackburn had conceded more than twice as many late goals as us, Millwall almost three times.

I understand it’s annoying, but there’s plenty of actual shit to wallow in without needing to invent it... :|

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:35 pm

Well that was a big kick in the knackers.

At 0-2 I thought the roof was going to fall in but was so proud of them and the way they got back into it. Norwich are top of the league and their fans were howling for the full time whistle.

Absolute scenes in the away end at Beevers equaliser. We're Bolton though. It was bound to end like that. I'm just glad it wasn't Jordan feckin Rhodes
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Ken Anderson is not my favourite person....!
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:28 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Soccerstats splits concessions into 10- or 15-minute sections. I assume it’s not yet updated with today’s figures, and it’s a different question to the hypothesis you present but in terms of goals from the 81st minute onwards (so “late” rather than “last-minute”), 16 of the division’s 24 teams had conceded more than us: Villa, Birmingham, Blackburn, Hull, Ipswich, Millwall, Norwich, Forest, Preston, QPR, Reading, Rotherham, Sheffield U, Sheffield W, West Brom and Wigan. Of these, Preston and Blackburn had conceded more than twice as many late goals as us, Millwall almost three times.

I understand it’s annoying, but there’s plenty of actual shit to wallow in without needing to invent it... :|
Go on then I'll bite....how many fans today were comfortable when we got back to 2-2, it was almost inevitable that we would concede in the last few minutes....in games over the past 2-3 years when we just need to hang on with a few mins left we do tend to normally concede.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Instantly thought Sammi did it on.purpose. Imagine he's off in Jan, with whomever else can help us raise a few quid.

Feels like the end days

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:42 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:28 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

Go on then I'll bite....how many fans today were comfortable when we got back to 2-2, it was almost inevitable that we would concede in the last few minutes....in games over the past 2-3 years when we just need to hang on with a few mins left we do tend to normally concede.
I don’t disagree. I doubt anyone was cocky.

But then, most football fans would have been the same. “Typical [insert team name]” exists amongst almost all sets of supporters. Football has this habit of harpooning hubris, and those of us - you, me, a million others - who’ve been through it all before have learned to expect the worst. And the worst often happens, and it leaves a mark - I still can’t think of Rotherham without remembering a vital late equaliser we conceded there in, oh I dunno, 1991 I think. But when you say we’re the worst at it, well judging by the data available, it’s just wrong.

Will wanderers keep kicking us in the balls? Yes, and we’ll hurt. Does it happen more to us than others? Demonstrably not.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:53 pm
Instantly thought Sammi did it on.purpose. Imagine he's off in Jan, with whomever else can help us raise a few quid.
We are entering the season of the tactical suspension. Will he serve his suspension next Saturday (home to Leeds) or on Sat Dec 22, the long trip to Brentford?

Then again, I genuinely don’t think Sammy is that sort. He’s not a calculating conniver, he’s a big daft galoot.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 pm

DSB please stop being so obnoxious....you knew exactly what I meant.

We do have a bad habit of conceding in the very last minute of games when we need to hang on....I didn't mean specifically this season (the stats don't tell the full story - like stats don't), we haven't conceded that many important last minute goals this season because we've normally been behind going into stoppage time....but generally we do struggle to hang on and when we have been ahead or level in important games we do have a tendency to concede in stoppage time....

Cornish White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Cornish White » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Don't want to sound too optimistic - God knows I don't - but we're still, despite all the shit, not adrift of at least six other teams.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:27 pm
DSB please stop being so obnoxious....you knew exactly what I meant.

We do have a bad habit of conceding in the very last minute of games when we need to hang on....I didn't mean specifically this season (the stats don't tell the full story - like stats don't), we haven't conceded that many important last minute goals this season because we've normally been behind going into stoppage time....but generally we do struggle to hang on and when we have been ahead or level in important games we do have a tendency to concede in stoppage time....
Mate I don’t think there’s any need for abuse. I’m not being obnoxious, I just disagree with you.

Two years ago, in the division below, we were excellent at defending narrow leads. Last season we were poor but we won 10 league games, and eight of them were by one goal, so we can’t have been that bad at late giveaways. Indeed, I’m sure Burton and Barnsley fans will find it rich that Bolton fans can complain about late goals after the frankly miraculous end to last season. As you correctly note, this year we haven’t had many leads to defend, but Derby didn’t equalise, Reading didn’t equalise, Birmingham didn’t equalise.

I’m not picking on you, it’s the concept that “this only happens to us” that so many fans of so many teams have. Like I say, it’s confirmation bias: we pick the memories to suit the mindset. At the moment we’re all horribly low but it’s not always been like that. I hope we can protect a few leads (or hard-earned comebacks from two down at Premier-bound clubs) and make a fist of staying up. I’m sure you do too and on that we can agree without any noxiousness at all.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Cornish White wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:52 pm
Don't want to sound too optimistic - God knows I don't - but we're still, despite all the shit, not adrift of at least six other teams.

Absolutely. Off-field problems naturally overshadow footballing matters but it should be noted that despite recent results being truly horrendous, a point today would only have had us in the bottom three on goal difference and we'd have been just one win away from five other clubs.

Ps. You've been a member since 2016 yet you've delayed your first post for over two years. What was it about today that finally tipped you over the edge? :D

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:42 pm
This is how it will go down: We'll score what we think is a 91st minute winner, jump around in ecstasy and jubilation - before Norwich grab a further 2 goals and win it for real.

Then we won't win again for the rest of the season and get relegated.
How close was I?? We definitely had the last minute jubilation snatched away from us! :D

Commendable effort today. Sounded like they had a good go and we did very well to come back from 2 down at the league leaders on their patch.

It's impossible to put into words how a fan feels after an ending like that, but that's football.

It'll be interesting to see how the players react after that last minute winner. They've not being paid and now they've been slapped at the death in the worst possible way. Shit house.

Cornish White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Cornish White » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:41 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 pm
Cornish White wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Absolutely. Off-field problems naturally overshadow footballing matters but it should be noted that despite recent results being truly horrendous, a point today would only have had us in the bottom three on goal difference and we'd have been just one win away from five other clubs.

Ps. You've been a member since 2016 yet you've delayed your first post for over two years. What was it about today that finally tipped you over the edge? :D

Being 340 miles away now and only getting to see them on tv I don't feel it fair to comment on performances I don't see.
However off field antics are another thing. Being a supporter since 1953 it breaks my heart to see what's happening to the club and that there are now generations that, with the exception of BSA era, have only ever known dross on the field and strife off it.
Nothing but admiration for the kids ( they're all kids at my age ) that spend their money and time travelling the length and breadth of the country every other week - they deserve better and so do the people of Bolton.

I don't know what I want most - Britain out of Europe or Anderson out of Bolton.quote]

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:33 am

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:25 am

A strange game. Let's have it right, I can't stand them and their (and our) positions makes sickening reading. However Bolton are right above us in the bottom three so in a bizarre sense I should be applauding their victory. But won't.

I saw another thread on the forum about who is likely to join you in League One next season and well, it doesn't really require an answer. ae:) . Thing is though you still have time to save yourselves. Haven't Bolton just come up from there this season and you should be nearer the play-off places right now. We don't play again until April which is some time off, but if it stays as it is both teams could either be out of it by that time or hanging on a potential six pointer or something. It's no fun down here at the bottom of the league I know. :-|

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:58 am

The saving grace last season was that we had a really good run. What I fear is we are beginning that run but aren't getting the victories for the performances.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:54 pm

OrtonCakeBingoBongo wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:25 am
A strange game. Let's have it right, I can't stand them and their (and our) positions makes sickening reading. However Bolton are right above us in the bottom three so in a bizarre sense I should be applauding their victory. But won't.

I saw another thread on the forum about who is likely to join you in League One next season and well, it doesn't really require an answer. ae:) . Thing is though you still have time to save yourselves. Haven't Bolton just come up from there this season and you should be nearer the play-off places right now. We don't play again until April which is some time off, but if it stays as it is both teams could either be out of it by that time or hanging on a potential six pointer or something. It's no fun down here at the bottom of the league I know. :-|
Good day Bongo. Nice to hear from you again. When asked for a crystal-ball
reading, Mystic Meg refused on the grounds that the playing field was too steep for cattle to graze on never mind play football. She donated her fee to the players wages fund.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?