Saddle up for a Cupset? Bolton v Walsall (FA3), Sat 05.01.19 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Saddle up for a Cupset? Bolton v Walsall (FA3), Sat 05.01.19 @ 3pm

Post by Jugs » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 pm
5-2 and one that hit a post....Wow.

What I saw first half was them harrying, bullying and atacking us like black friday at Selfridges. Most teams seem to know we'll try for damage limitation for forty-five minutes and hope the opposition don't score. Second half with two up front and the bugles sounding the charge we really took it to them. We should be able to play 4-4-2 with four at the back and Vela in the old Campo role beind two in midfield. A lot of our problem is a "job done" attitude and turn away like they have all the time in the world, especially on throw ins. Games can be intense for ninety minutes and Walsall never stopped trying even at 5-2 down. We should maybe take a leaf from that book. Okolwski took about five minutes to take a throw second half.

Cook was their M.O.T.M. for me and we still don't seem to learn a static player will always loose out to one coming in at speed. Cook won loads in the air with that method. The only players I can recall winning much from a jumping on the spot were Denis Law, Juegen Klinsman and Kev Davies. (Oh, for a young SuperKev back at the Unibol). Wheats and Bevvers are fine with balls coming straight at them, but diagonal ones catch em out more often than not. That sid, they defended well enough and Beevers was un lucky with the deflection.

For them, their point man, Ferrier, got right on my wick and I was glad to see him carded. He was pushing, dragging, pulling and shoving all game and howled like a banshee any time anyone went near him. For us, quite a few impressed, not the least Maggennis and Donaldson. I think Wildshcutt has shot his bolt here though. Who was the young lad who came on? Not seen him before?
This has been my issue ALL season. Lack of urgency and aggression at home. At 0-0, Alnwick wastes so much time with his goal kicks, it drives me round the bend. If PP tells them to slow things down to frustrate the opposition, all that's actually happening is it's frustrating the home crowd.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:25 pm
Here's the highlights for anybody who didn't see them. That, my friends, is what you call a bullet header... :oyea:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46706810
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:48 pm

Yes and I forget to Wright this , for me still parky out because till now he doesn't know the best and the strength for his player .
Last edited by elhadj on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:32 pm
5-2 and one that hit a post....Wow.

What I saw first half was them harrying, bullying and atacking us like black friday at Selfridges. Most teams seem to know we'll try for damage limitation for forty-five minutes and hope the opposition don't score. Second half with two up front and the bugles sounding the charge we really took it to them. We should be able to play 4-4-2 with four at the back and Vela in the old Campo role beind two in midfield. A lot of our problem is a "job done" attitude and turn away like they have all the time in the world, especially on throw ins. Games can be intense for ninety minutes and Walsall never stopped trying even at 5-2 down. We should maybe take a leaf from that book. Okolwski took about five minutes to take a throw second half.

Cook was their M.O.T.M. for me and we still don't seem to learn a static player will always loose out to one coming in at speed. Cook won loads in the air with that method. The only players I can recall winning much from a jumping on the spot were Denis Law, Juegen Klinsman and Kev Davies. (Oh, for a young SuperKev back at the Unibol). Wheats and Bevvers are fine with balls coming straight at them, but diagonal ones catch em out more often than not. That sid, they defended well enough and Beevers was un lucky with the deflection.

For them, their point man, Ferrier, got right on my wick and I was glad to see him carded. He was pushing, dragging, pulling and shoving all game and howled like a banshee any time anyone went near him. For us, quite a few impressed, not the least Maggennis and Donaldson. I think Wildshcutt has shot his bolt here though. Who was the young lad who came on? Not seen him before?
That would be 17 year old Scouser and Irish youth international Luca Connell. I believe he's considered one of the brightest prospects at the club, so hopefully this is the first of many appearances.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:22 pm

For the best part of an hour we were appalling. The worst we've been all season. Vela had possibly the worst half of football I've ever seen from a professional. Wildschutt confirmed that he can run and do nowt else.

Going in at half time a goal down was a blessing in disguise because Parky had to change things. By putting another player within 20 yards of Magennis we actually realised we could hurt them and for a ten minute spell actually played some good football.

Chuffed to win but that finally put the myth about Parky to bed for me. We can't play football because we don't have the players to do it. Rubbish. Walsall out footballed us with league 1 players for an hour.

Let's get this shocker of a season over and done with and for God's sake employ someone who wants us to play football.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:13 am

This isn’t a criticism but Vela is crying out for a move away, his performance levels have dropped badly in the last year or so. Gets into the squad by virtue of being ‘home grown’ so maybe Connel can take that mantle now (or we can put that England youth keeper on who seems to have disappeared instead of the bloody goalkeeper coach).

Noone set up 4 yesterday, has to be one of his better days. Keep him on the left...

A big shot in the arm for those calling for 442 as well. I’d back this squad to get results in league one using it - Lowe plus Vela/Murphy/O’Neil should be enough centrally. I would imagine we would get turned over most weeks at championship level, but then we lose most weeks anyway so I would understand the argument it’s worth giving a go now given we need some points to stay up.

Not a good day for Beevers going off the highlights. Very disappointed to see him out muscled and lose a big standard aerial battle for the first.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:14 am

Oztumers had it under Parky as well. I’d like to see him underneath our next manager, depends who goes first I guess.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Not sure about this "will it persuade him to go 4-4-2 vibe". We did play 442 v Rotherham (and Stoke?). Changes in a cup game is hardly reflective that he's given it up
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:59 pm

Bet Doidge is pissed - he’d either of started or come on yesterday. Won’t get a better chance of goals this season.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:18 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:59 pm
Bet Doidge is pissed - he’d either of started or come on yesterday. Won’t get a better chance of goals this season.
More than you know mate, he's gone home.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:18 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:59 pm
More than you know mate, he's gone home.
Hopefully he's taken the ball with him so we don't have to suffer more. Feck all chance Ken will stump up for a new one!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:04 am

The really unfair thing about all this is that the core of it all, "Bolton Wanderers Football Club" and its fans, are all just about the game of football' nothing else, nothing. The financial politics and mechanics aound the fringes have almost obliterated what we're about. No football, no club, no money for anyone to make. Rats, please make an orderly line along the banks of the Croal and float off and try your luck on the Irwell or the Mersey. We might be broke but at least we'll have a bit of pride left.

Poor control of funds, excess and bad spending, bad management, greedy players and greedier agents have well and truly xxxxed up the beautiful game. If our current situation isn't proof of this, then what is? The game's owned by foreign currency, chickens, hamburgers and product advertising. For the supporters, very little of it concerns kicking a football; about 90 minutes per week generally.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 pm

Bristol City away... I think that’s that then!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:07 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 pm
Bristol City away... I think that’s that then!

The most common response to the club's "who do you want in the next round?" tweet was "Anderson away".
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 pm

I saw one special breed tweeted (in response to that thread) “Anderson’s funeral” 😱😞