Crataegus monogyna. West Brom at home, Monday 21st Jan 8-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Crataegus monogyna. West Brom at home, Monday 21st Jan 8-0'clock.

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 am

As a Wanderer living in London who doesn't get to watch many games, I thought I'd post a few observations on last night's match:

[*] We didn't really play that badly and there was a point in the second half when I thought we'd get at least a draw. Obviously we are lacking in quality up front, but bar that I wouldn't say we're too far off being competitive in this league.

[*] Clayton Donaldson is a willing runner and I don't hate him, but at this stage in his career he is barely good enough to be a back-up in the Championship. If we can't bring in a better striking option we are probably going down.

[*] Andy Taylor was awful last night and didn't look anywhere near the required standard. Has he been that bad all season? I know he's done a good job for us over the past few years, but if that's now his level then he needs to be cut asap.

[*] Pritchard looked good and it would be disappointing if he isn't now given more opportunities.

[*] On a related note, are our youngsters way off meriting a chance, or is Parkinson too conservative to roll the dice with them? Given that our senior players haven't exactly been setting the world on fire, I would have thought playing some Academy players might have been given a try. West Brom are pushing for promotion, have a squad full of former Premier League players, yet they started an 18 year old youth player last night.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:43 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 am

[*] We didn't really play that badly and there was a point in the second half when I thought we'd get at least a draw. Obviously we are lacking in quality up front, but bar that I wouldn't say we're too far off being competitive in this league.
Swallowing the after-match frustration, I'd tend to agree as a whole, Gun, but as ever we didn't finish off our chances and gave away two softish goals (the first was pub Sunday league standard) After that it was all more Sherpa Tensing than Rambo, a tale too often told. Hit and hope is always the game with us, but we're not S.A.S at getting the troops forth. No support is almost mandatory now and we always let the school bullies take our apples and sweets away. We're more predictable than the weather.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:04 am

I fail to see what relevance " we didn't play too badly"has got to do with our situation right now, are we Play the right way type fans or is reality we could do with a touch of doggedness win no matter how ugly.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:44 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:04 am
I fail to see what relevance " we didn't play too badly"has got to do with our situation right now, are we Play the right way type fans or is reality we could do with a touch of doggedness win no matter how ugly.
Did I say I was happy that we didn't play too badly but didn't win? Obviously I want us to win, but I'm not sure "doggedness" as you put it is our major issue right now".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Doggyness. That's definitely an issue.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:30 pm

One thing I wondered last night as I thought what might happen if WBA moved up a gear - are our players always so lethargic because we spend the game chasing the ball? Or is it deeper - the hot water not running for long at the training ground meaning players aren’t hanging around like they might of previously? It was mentioned a couple of times that WBA had been warm weather training in Dubai - no chance for us!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:59 pm

^ I know what you mean re lethargy. We get a throw in, in the opposition's half and players are ambling around some with their back to the ball and nobody seems to have any sense of urgency.

Likewise with contentious decisions. Nobody berates or harangues the ref. I watched a lower league side the other day get an opponent sent off due to their mass protest at a strong challenge.

It's little things like that and our dreadful set pieces where I believe a different manager could get more out of this group of players
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:49 am

The set pieces could be fatigue as well - lapses in concentration, giving away cheap free kicks to buy a break in play. It’s an old squad not getting the training benefits of the majority of this league. Wouldn’t surprise me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:28 am

The thing about set pieces and the like to me is about the spirit and determination. I don't think people aren't trying but its clear there isn't the same group spirit and belief and drive there was last season at times. Perhaps this is due to personnel or the general malaise at the club. Also there are only so many times players can scrap above themselves to get a club out of trouble.

Last season after a horror start we ground out wins and there was always a spirit in the group and a feeling that they believed they had a chance. Even when all looked lost. The group always had a last push - as seen by the Forest game. Yes we got a bit lucky but there was a spirit and scrap mostly - after bad runs we usually found a way to turn it around briefly.

This season for me there isn't that same spirit or belief. For whatever reason. It just feels more resigned.

Its why we concede those sloppy goals because there isn't that desperate determination to keep it out of our net.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:39 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:49 am
The set pieces could be fatigue as well - lapses in concentration, giving away cheap free kicks to buy a break in play. It’s an old squad not getting the training benefits of the majority of this league. Wouldn’t surprise me.
They play in the image of the manager officer and to be quite honest watching him being interviewed could induce a coma, personality of a plank.