The cheer us up memory lane thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The cheer us up memory lane thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:46 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:54 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 pm
Battering Spurs 1-0 at WHL. Think we hit the woodwork 15 times that day

Reading Play off final at Wembley

Drawing with Bayern Munich in the UEFA cup.

Magic, Magic Days.

As an aside I was talking to my daughter about Nathan Blake the other day. He was on telly talking about an FA cup match. Wasn't really listening. In the late 90's we played Wimbledon at Selhurst Park. It was a boring windy horrible 0-0 draw. Nathan Blake was called offside 15 times by the linesman, much to our disgust. When I got back that night MOTD did an analysis of Blake and the offsides. Turns out he was onside 13 out of the 15 decisions. THAT's how fast Nathan Blake was.
Wow I can't believe someone else has Tottenham 0-1 Bolton in November 2003 has their favourite memory! That was just a magical game, it is not normally mentioned in our famous games. We went into it really struggling with a record (I think) of W1 D6 L4, following the miraclous 2002/03 escape. Tottenham were their usual (of that time) underachieving, overpriced, arrogant selves still clinging to their glory period of the early 70s. We absolutely murdered them, Okocha ran the game, he hit the bar from distance three times, then after approx 67mins, just when it looked they might come into it, Okocha hit another pile driver that hit the keeper before he could move, and Nolan tucked home the winner. Delirium!! I was there with my then gf and her Tottenham supporting friend and my mate. Even she came out of the game talking about Okocha. We went onto beat Everton and Leeds directly after and ended up 8th. Average crowd that season was almost 27000! We beat them the next season as well, another wonderful day out, another Okocha pile driver set up Stelios for the winner.

Other favourite memories include our first foray into Europe against Plovdiv. Great trip on the supporters plane. Wonderful scenes at the small Bulgarian (Burgas?) airport with thousands of whites fans singing songs. Great stop at Nessebar where everyone enjoyed a pint or two. Great times.

Tons of great games in the Prem era, my favourite period, but I particularly remember another rarely mentioned 1-0 home win against Norwich. We played well, won 1-0 but I particularly remember thinking I was watching the footballing equivalent of the Haarlem Globetrotters. We had top, legendary players all over the pitch. Candela played (he hit the bar from 25 yards), Speed, Okocha, Stelios, N'Gotty, Diouf, SKD wonderful players all over the pitch. Stelios scored a top class goal from 25 yards to win it.
It was indeed a magical game. 16 years ago?!!!!!

The best bit was trying to catch up with my Spurs supporting friend after the game. We'd arranged to meet in The Gilpin Bell (a Wetherspoons about 1/2 mile up from the ground). He was a no show so I called him and he said " I ain't coming. Seen you hit the bar too many times already today" :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Difficult to pick just 3, so I'm going to lump all the White Hot Years into first pick. Liverpool @ Anfield, Gooners away etc etc...how I'm expected to pick one from that lot :mrgreen:

Next up is Atletico Madrid. Sat in the East Lower with my Spanish mate who has supported Atletico all his life and Bolton for the last 20 years. He had a Madrid shirt on with his Bolton scarf and sang for Wanderers all match. The stewards tried to make him take the shirt off and all the fans in the vicinity told the stewards to fcuk off and leave him alone. Great match, atmosphere and watching Aguero walk was the icing on the cake :oyea:

3rd was 2-2 against Arsenal at The Reebok. I think that match was a fair summation of that era under BSA. Arsenal swanning around like they were God's gift, we sticking one in the eye and Okocha taking the utter piss out of them. Absolutely glorious :pray:

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:47 pm
enrdentw wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:29 pm
It's not in my top 3 but this was a really good game that I went to with mates from school when I was 16. Kevin Poole was between the sticks...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 247008.stm
Not the best quality, but this is that game highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jVZFxUGHsE
Thanks TD, brings back great memories!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:48 am

In no particular order:

The Reading play off final. Real Roy of the Rovers stuff.

Arsenal away in the Cup. We took 5,000 to Highbury midweek (John Motson: "They've turned the Clock End into Burnden Park!") and beat the holders for the second consecutive season.

And either Blackburn away when we won promotion to Div One in '78 or the draw in Madrid to put Athletico out. Celebrated that one in a Madrid hip hop club until 5am!

Happy days!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:57 pm

Munich away probably my favourite overall occasion. Reading play off or Swindon semi fave games, certainly as a youth anyway. More recently that Birmingham cup game is up there for sure, beating yernited at the Reebok under megson was a good ‘un...Ipswich 4-1, West Ham Okocha game...all days it just seemed to click.

How about some not so obvious ones:-

Beating Liverpool 2-1 to top the premier league under Allardyce, Holdsworth sticking one through Westervelds legs.

The 4-2 v Tottenham when we played some total football under coyle.

The smashing of Wolves 3-0 at burnden the day of the scrap. Proper game that one.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned so far, but what a team and performance we had here....and that J.J free kick will live in memory forever.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKgCXWGM3wY
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Honourable mention must go to Leicester at home 2002, when Ricketts scored a late, late equaliser after Mike Riley tried to do us over. Incredible game that.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Just a general video to bring a smile to the face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqlzwty63yc
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:18 am

Not exactly vintage - we'd just gone down from the top flight for the first time in 30 years - and there's no match action as such, but here's a little nibble on us in 1964/65...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks for that DSB, Memorie there. Freddie Hill, there was a talented lad. I worked for Frannie Lee for a short time (on loan from my boss at the time) and Freddie worked in the warehouse and Mike Summerbee on sales. Happy days.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Ground improvements, 1993 style. After all, we'd gone up to the Endsleigh League First (ie second) Division.

beer_swiller
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by beer_swiller » Mon May 06, 2019 7:25 pm

Not been on this forum for a few years but do read the posts. At this point in my life I feel I need cheering up after the debacle of recent times.

I'm going back, way back to the League liner train. Burnley were the first set of fans to use this but the Wanderers used it soon after for their trip to Bournemouth's Dean court.
On this train was the latest technology, well it was new to me. Video clips of famous games and scorers on the many screens scattered about in a carriage. A disco was supposed to be on but I never saw it. That was a long journey for a two nill defeat. That game featured on Match of the Day.
Another trip was to Southampton in the cup. We'd booked the train from Trinity Street but there was a rail strike but, the staff from the Club put on coaches as an alternate. We secured a two all draw down at the Dell. Great days out.
Denn

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 06, 2019 8:51 pm

What's the league liner train? Never heard of it, sounds class.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Walkley_owl
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Walkley_owl » Fri May 17, 2019 5:14 am

Made two trips to Burnden, once for a cup tie in 93, iirc correctly we had to borrow a yellow kit as we'd forgotten the away shirt, sat in the side stand as a 12 year old, think it was 1-1.

Second trip was your first PL in 96, peed it down and was on the open terrace next to the flood light, Whittingham for us but ended 2-1 to you, got it in my head Curcic scored for you.

Random memory, you played at Bramall Lane late 96, ended up going as a family friend couldn't go and he borrowed me his season ticket, best mate was a blade so went with him, Shez played for you, Friday night game.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue May 28, 2019 8:56 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:51 pm
What's the league liner train? Never heard of it, sounds class.
]

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 28, 2019 10:57 am

Thirty years ago today, we won the Sherpa Van Trophy. Marc Iles asked Phil Brown and Dean Crombie about it:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... once-more/

...and I wrote something about it.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -memories/

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 28, 2019 12:40 pm

Cheers DSB enjoyed reading those. Thanks for correcting Brownies error regarding our league form at that time. We went into the final on the back of a long unbeaten run.

I'd forgotten how finely poised the game was until Chandler's deflected effort. Them hitting the post and the Cat making a couple of good stops.

30 years ago. Unbelievable
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:40 pm
Cheers DSB enjoyed reading those. Thanks for correcting Brownies error regarding our league form at that time. We went into the final on the back of a long unbeaten run.

I'd forgotten how finely poised the game was until Chandler's deflected effort. Them hitting the post and the Cat making a couple of good stops.

30 years ago. Unbelievable
Frankly it might be one each as I'm now not sure whether Crombie's assist came from Savage (my claim) or Chandler (his). Frankly both may as well have been left upfield while defending corners, as Savage was about 5'4" and Shirley Chandler was hardly a muscular presence...

EDIT

Hard to tell from the goal (start at 18'45") but judging by Crombie's celebratory arc and the rapidity of Chandler's arrival on the scene, I think it was indeed Jeff not Robbie.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:32 pm

Something worth having a read of. Puts things in proportion although historical rather than relative to today. Interesting, as is Tommy's book. Didn't know about that, but I'll look out for it.

https://www.leighjournal.co.uk/news/100 ... mmy-banks/