The Ballad of a Reading Goal. Wild expectations. (H) 29/Jan/19

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Ballad of a Reading Goal. Wild expectations. (H) 29/Jan/19

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:02 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:35 pm
So if Reading are an accomplished side. *snort*, how the fxck do we "drag Millwall or maybe Wigan into it"? They, surely, must be pure diamond in comparison?
It's a small sample - five or six games - but since their new manager took over (Dec 23), Reading have a higher points-per-game ratio than Wigan. Not by much, admittedly - four points from five games rather than four points from six - but if they are to have hope, it would be from that. Same for us: Wigan are bottom of the form table over the last six, eight and ten league games (we're respectively 20th, 22nd and 22nd again). Rotherham are also down there; Millwall are not, but a Cup run might distract them.

Worth noting on the other hand that last night's was Reading's first league point on the road under the new manager - they lost 1-0 at Millwall and 2-1 at Derby. Reading have been shit away for ages - in fact, today is an anniversary of sorts: since winning at Burton last Jan 30th, they have won just one away league game in 23 attempts (W1 D9 L13). But they nearly did last night, because we're very beatable indeed.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:02 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
So if Reading are an accomplished side. *snort*, how the fxck do we "drag Millwall or maybe Wigan into it"? They, surely, must be pure diamond in comparison?
It's a small sample - five or six games - but since their new manager took over (Dec 23), Reading have a higher points-per-game ratio than Wigan. Not by much, admittedly - four points from five games rather than four points from six - but if they are to have hope, it would be from that. Same for us: Wigan are bottom of the form table over the last six, eight and ten league games (we're respectively 20th, 22nd and 22nd again). Rotherham are also down there; Millwall are not, but a Cup run might distract them.

Worth noting on the other hand that last night's was Reading's first league point on the road under the new manager - they lost 1-0 at Millwall and 2-1 at Derby. Reading have been shit away for ages - in fact, today is an anniversary of sorts: since winning at Burton last Jan 30th, they have won just one away league game in 23 attempts (W1 D9 L13). But they nearly did last night, because we're very beatable indeed.
My main point was "How do we..."
I don't think we can drag ourselves into anything, never mind other, independent, clubs...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:20 pm

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:05 am
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:37 pm
Oh dear PP.

How to lose all the fans in one foul swoop.
BN: PP defends decision to sub Connell and gets as close as he's ever come to 'berating' fans.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... fans-fury/
I am absolutely shocked, I have got to be honest. We played a young kid who is 17, on Friday we gave him his debut, and as a staff we contemplated a big risk starting him again with the demands of the Championship football. We started him but any more than 60 minutes is going to be a risk. Everybody on the bench could see he was tiring and I am not going to get one of our young kids injured.

When I took him off, and the reaction, I was so shocked. I thought 'surely people will realise I am doing it to protect the kid'. It wasn’t because he hadn’t played well. And it changed the whole atmosphere of the ground – it was very, very difficult to play.

I'm honestly shocked and I'm not bothered about the fans having a go at me. But the atmosphere created on the pitch for the players – their team – in such a great game...

But not only that, I put another young kid on and young Joe has been terrific for us and yet he’s had to play in that kind of atmosphere. It is only the character of a proper team that got us back into the game tonight. I am so proud of them.
Elsewise:
I thought the first half was even. We knew they would have possession and take risks at the back. We pressed them high and won the ball back, got into some good positions, but our selection of pass wasn't as good as it needed to be.

Second half I thought we were terrific. We had some great chances. We had a bit more conviction in our pressing and they weren't really in the game. You're always going to be dangerous on the break with Aluko and Barrow and players like that but it was a soft penalty. We were unlucky to get that given against us.

The lads were brilliant to get back into it. The atmosphere was difficult to play in and they've come back fantastically well.
I just don't buy it, Parky.

Why is it always Bolton who have these stock excuses for not playing kids? "Oh, we're fighting relegation/promotion/he might get injured" when so many other clubs just play youth and crack on with it?

And it's not even just youth. I remember when Sasa was given his debut and Todd was given hell for subbing him after like 60 mins, even though he was outstanding. I think he said "I can never sub him again after that reaction" afterwards. It's literally always the same with Bolton managers and we're all - as fans - a bit sick of it

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:25 pm

Personally, I'm getting very sick of it all. To the point where I'm thinking "Why am I bothering with this shit?"
I mean, why? It's costing me money, time, effort, and stress.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:36 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:25 pm
Personally, I'm getting very sick of it all. To the point where I'm thinking "Why am I bothering with this shit?"
In fact, fxck it. I have a dog needs walking, a garden needs tidying, a meal needs cooking, a book needs reading, a life needs living ...
Goodbye
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:43 pm

That is not a f*cking penalty!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:43 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:06 pm
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:02 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

My main point was "How do we..."
I don't think we can drag ourselves into anything, never mind other, independent, clubs...
As I said, hard to see it happening :)

Reading signing Nelson Oliveira potentially solves their main issue, of not having a decent centre forward. Oliveira was first choice for Norwich in the Prem 2-3 years ago, and looked decent last night. Then they have Barrow, Aluko, Swift, Bacuna and Baker in midfield, all with upper Championship or Prem experience. Bacuna in particular was good last night. Yiadom was good too at full back. Once the manager full settles in, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them climb the table.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:45 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:36 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
In fact, fxck it. I have a dog needs walking, a garden needs tidying, a meal needs cooking, a book needs reading, a life needs living ...
Goodbye
I know what you mean. Other things become more interesting than the games. Last night I had a band rehearsal, last Friday I was out, the Monday before I was playing scratch five-a-side... there was a time I'd have swerved all those things to fanatically keep in touch with the match, but now I just get the pocket-ping of a BBC Sport alert saying we're behind again, and I'm glad of something else to focus on.

They'll always be my team, my club, my badge, and on occasion I'll drag my sad arse around the country to watch them. But like a lot, at the moment, it feels like a thankless trudge.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:54 pm

I wrote:and on occasion I'll drag my sad arse around the country to meet up with some chums, have a beer and a laugh, watch some footy. It never feels like a thankless trudge.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:04 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:54 pm
I wrote:and on occasion I'll drag my sad arse around the country to meet up with some chums, have a beer and a laugh, watch some footy. It never feels like a thankless trudge.

You had me at "beer".
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:47 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:07 pm
I accept Parky's explanation, but at the time the sub was a very annoying moment. Connell didn't seem tired, and had had a really good first 25 minutes of the second half. He looks a real talent. Composed, really good left foot, good awareness. He looked our best player, and he didn't appear to be breaking sweat. At 17, it seemed unlikely that he had run out of energy, and it certainly didn't look like that to the naked eye. In addition a 36 y/o O'Neil and a 34 y/o Donaldson both playing in roles that demanded a lot of running seemed more obvious candidates to be subbed. Still Parky is in a position to know much more than we do, so we have to accept his view.

I hadn't really heard the crowd turn on Parky like that before, and it was quite shocking. I really felt that Parky might resign after the game had we lost. The moment of the sub was just the trigger event for the fans to really express the view that we are going nowhere playing like this imho, except to L1 and a near death experience off the pitch, at best. It is a sad and demoralizing situation, but to me we have reached the point where any change at all is worth a try, even if with the state of the club it is very unlikely to change our course.
Completely agree - I accept entirely his explanation- and as I said last night perhaps if he had put on a more attacking sub (Pritchard is a like for like midfielder I know) and showed intent he might have got away with it. But it’s a pressure cooker this one - people will get behind the lads but there can’t be many now who wouldn’t change this dinosaur and his tactics. We never have the ball, we run out of steam chasing the game and let opponents dictate every game at our place. It’s an embarrassment, at home especially. When a questionable decision is made he’s going to get ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’. People have had enough and it’s going to happen again and again. I feel for the two young lads who were involved in the sub.

There are a lot of fans with season tickets not going - there will be a big drop next season in League one unless a more progressive manager is found. Who wants to watch Fleetwood dominate possession and see us try and nick a 1-0?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:36 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Goodbye
Bollox Spots, you just get yourself ready for Saturday. Think of the entertainment. Picture Clayton Donaldson leaping at a loose ball and hitting a thunderous shot forth like he did Tuesday. Trouble is, he was facing the East Lower at the time and it was supposed to be a pass. Sammi's face when it screamed past him was a picture. Where else can you watch jewels like that?...... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:18 pm

It seemed like Parky had a game plan that he was trying to stick to despite evidence to the contrary. Maybe he had Connells fitness in mind but I really so doubt that to be the main deciding factor.

I like Parkinson but the decision to bring Connell off is indefensible in my opinion.

We've watched games of utter dross at times with very little to cheer or get excited about. We finally end up having a youth team player performing to an exceptional standard and he gets brought off so that we can serve up the same dross we've been subjected to for the past few weeks.

Maybe Parkinson is trying to get sacked.

Our style of play means we've got Gary O'Neil up front for some equally baffling reason. Donaldson going wide to collect the ball means no one in the center other than late arriving midfielders...

Reading last night shouldve been a game we were trying to win. Taking off the best player and giving the main striker little time off the bench suggests wed set up to eek out a point.

It's hard for me to feel sorry for Parky after that sub. Pritchard couldve easily come on for Lowe, O'Neil, Ameobi, Noone, Donaldson. The boos were warranted, sadly. Hopefully its a wakeup call.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 am

There was a moment, a brief moment, 3-4 minutes before Connell was taken off, where he was beaten on the inside, and rather than stop and chase as his mind wanted to and as he would have done 5 minutes earlier, his body kept moving/drifting in the wrong direction. If we could spot it in the Upper West, I suspect the coaching staff would have seen that and other cues.

Wasnt' happy to see him replaced, given that Lowe and Noone had been shockingly bad, and at that point in the game Magennis for Donaldson seemed the obvious sub, but can understand it. What does Magennis have to do to start a home game ?

I suspect Parky knew it wasn't going to be a popular decision, and for that reason put another kid on, instead of Murphy.

Although our skill level is undoubtedly low, it's the poor decision-making that is the hardest to take. Best summed-up that our last kick of the game was a 40-yard short from Lowe, when he had 4 players at the far post to aim at.

Note Ameobi's resistance to shoot whenever in the attacking third took over in injury time (finally), and he put in a great cross for which 3 of our guys were lining up for, and suprise - goal.

If our decision-making was right 80% of the time (instead of the current 40%), it might make up for some lack in quality. Although nothing can make up for Donaldson falling over the ball every time he's in some space.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!