Backs to the Millwall, Sat 9/3 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Backs to the Millwall, Sat 9/3 3pm

Post by Dujon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 am

This is, again, a genuine question:

PP was up in the stands on Saturday was he not? Over the years I have stood at pitch level on many occasions and been seated, or standing, at a level a few metres above that. I even ran the scoreboard on one occasion, which afforded a wonderful view of the play. Many sports seem to expect the manager/coach/strategists to be positioned above the play; I have always found that more educational than standing on the bylines feeling the thundering hooves of the players and trying to untangle the vision of players near and far and their actual position on the field.

As a spectator, and if possible, I will always look for some sort of elevated position, just as is the positioning of the TV cameras.

So, in your opinion, is an elevated view point advantageous to a football team's manager (assuming that s/he has some sort of communication with the staff within the technical area ? ) Is it a requirement that s/he be present in the technical area?

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:24 am

Good post and something which has always fascinated me. Surely it is much easier to see if you are executing your game plan from above the action. Big Sam used to sit in the directors box for the first half alot during his time at Bolton.

There is no rule that stipulates that the manager must be in the Technical Area.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:32 am

Allardyce often espoused the higher angle, which - as any fan who's sat in a few different places will know - can give a much clearer indication of formational strengths and weaknesses. I used to interview Sam for a regular managerial-advice Q&A and when this topic came up, he even suggested Sunday League managers might try to source an umpire's chair for that extra bit of height. By the same token, he acknowledged that he often had to run down to the dugout to impose his will and force of personality on his players or, often, the referee.

Interestingly, in today's BN, Parky acknowledges not just the superior angle but also the relative calm of the gantry, from which he watched the game. A different perspective, literally and metaphorically.

"I enjoyed it – it’s a fantastic view from up there and you are calmer when making decisions, there’s no doubt about it. You are not caught up with the hurly-burly, arguing in the technical area, the fourth official and the linesmen etc.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... m-on-high/

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:34 am

All a matter of personal choice I reckon. If we weren't clinging desperately behind the rest like tin cans on a wedding car, P.P might have the chance to sit in the directors box in a suit instead of touchline coaching in a tracksuit; something managers far above us do regularly. I think they need to be able to assault/harangue fourth officials and kick a water bottle or two about a la Maurinho and Arsene Wenger etc.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:43 am

Because most managers (and especially the most tactically astute minds on the planet) spend their time in the dugout, they must be better at spotting formational strengths and weaknesses from the touchline than the average fan. Because it's not easy, at least for me when I sit on the first row lol (which isn't often, granted). I guess they know exactly what they're looking for.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am

Particularly in the day of prozone et al I seriously doubt there is any significant tactical benefit to it. It may have a placebo-like effect on the manager though which isn't necessarily to be sniffed at.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am
Particularly in the day of prozone et al I seriously doubt there is any significant tactical benefit to it. It may have a placebo-like effect on the manager though which isn't necessarily to be sniffed at.
Depends how quickly Prozone (or the video analyst or whatever) is feeding back to the manager. If - to pluck a potential but entirely theoretical possibility from thin air - a defender is standing too deep off his man and dragging his mates backwards, you're far more likely to notice that from the stand than from the dugout, and far more quickly by yourself unless you've got a constant feed of info from someone who's on high.

Actually, thinking about it, wasn't Ju Darby regularly stationed up in the stands for this reason?

I'll defend the point Sam (Sam!) made, but there's also a relevant modern reason. I genuinely wonder if Parky's predilection for safety-first - as discussed on this thread "after the second goal" - might be lessened if he has more of an overview.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Just on the subject of a more aerial view. A good few years ago I had tickets high up in the west stand for a few games. From that viewpoint, I came to realise what exceptional vision Claus Jensen had on a football pitch. He regularly found passes and openings that nobody at pitch level had any right to be able to see.

Oh to have someone of his quality again
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Couldn’t tackle for shit though Jensen! Ha!

When I sat behind PP at Elland rd t’other week he gave me the impression of man on the edge...hence why I wasn’t surprised he got sent off and banned. Understandable really - we are all sitting here expecting him to be out of work soon enough. Anyway I’m not surprised he relaxed a bit more up there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:32 pm
Just on the subject of a more aerial view. A good few years ago I had tickets high up in the west stand for a few games. From that viewpoint, I came to realise what exceptional vision Claus Jensen had on a football pitch. He regularly found passes and openings that nobody at pitch level had any right to be able to see.

I sat high up and thought Jensen was vastly overrated. Went missing when it counted and was too scared to put a challenge in. Not a patch on Per.....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:42 pm

I once arrived back in the UK on an Air India 747. It approached Heathrow directly along the Thames and started to bank left directly over Stamford Bridge. A match was taking place. Sitting just before the wing I had a perfect view of a goal scored by the opposition (the scorer was in pink!)
I could tell the goalkeeper was far too far over by his post and a goal was on the cards....

Drones, that's what Parky needs...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:42 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I sat high up and thought Jensen was vastly overrated. Went missing when it counted and was too scared to put a challenge in. Not a patch on Per.....
Vastly overrated to a Gary Madine fan. I'm sure he'd live with that :D

Agree re Per though. The complete midfielder. As good a footballer as Jensen was, and he WAS good, like dibble said - he couldn't tackle a good dinner!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:56 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:42 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Vastly overrated to a Gary Madine fan. I'm sure he'd live with that :D

Agree re Per though. The complete midfielder. As good a footballer as Jensen was, and he WAS good, like dibble said - he couldn't tackle a good dinner!
Michael Johansen and Per were both exceptional. Such a shame that Allardyce realised too late that a small lad could be useful....

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 am

I thought Johansen left of his own accord when his contract was up?

I seem to remember Johansen being underused in the 97/98 season, but maybe he was injured for a lot of it ... Then again, I can't recall who we had on the right wing back then. Was it Pollock?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 am

Jugs wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:58 pm
Michael Johansen and Per were both exceptional. Such a shame that Allardyce realised too late that a small lad could be useful....

I seem to remember Johansen being underused in the 97/98 season, but maybe he was injured for a lot of it ... Then again, I can't recall who we had on the right wing back then. Was it Pollock?
ISTR the big idea in 97/98 was playing 3-5-2, with new signings Cox and Elliott at wing-back and Fish in the middle of the back three. Then Elliott knacked himself in the first week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997%E2%8 ... ppearances

League appearances that season for midfield possibles:
Per Frandsen 38 (0)
Alan Thompson 33 (0)
Jamie Pollock 25 (1)
Andy Todd 23 (2)
Scott Sellars 22 (0)
Jimmy Phillips 21 (1)
Neil Cox 20 (1)
John Sheridan 12 (0)
Michael Johansen 4 (12)

1998/99, Johansen started 43 league games, a number topped only by Jensen, Frandsen and Cox.
1999/2000, he was top appearance maker with 47+1 (presumably including playoffs). Then he left. Can't blame Sam, then.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:42 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 am
Jugs wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:58 pm

ISTR the big idea in 97/98 was playing 3-5-2, with new signings Cox and Elliott at wing-back and Fish in the middle of the back three. Then Elliott knacked himself in the first week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997%E2%8 ... ppearances

League appearances that season for midfield possibles:
Per Frandsen 38 (0)
Alan Thompson 33 (0)
Jamie Pollock 25 (1)
Andy Todd 23 (2)
Scott Sellars 22 (0)
Jimmy Phillips 21 (1)
Neil Cox 20 (1)
John Sheridan 12 (0)
Michael Johansen 4 (12)

1998/99, Johansen started 43 league games, a number topped only by Jensen, Frandsen and Cox.
1999/2000, he was top appearance maker with 47+1 (presumably including playoffs). Then he left. Can't blame Sam, then.
Cheers!

Yeah, Johansen was class for those two seasons in the Championship. It's crazy to think that was now 20 years ago.

And Thompson - what a belter he had 97/98!