He said it's Wednesday on Tuesday, who could argue! - Shef Wed (H) 12/03/19

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: He said it's Wednesday on Tuesday, who could argue! - Shef Wed (H) 12/03/19

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:40 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:38 pm
We've had half a dozen free kicks stoic the edge of their box. This tactic of everyone standing still while we hit it at the first defender just isn't working
Like Blackadder Goes Forth and the gargantuan effort to move Field-Marshal Haig's drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
We've had half a dozen free kicks stoic the edge of their box. This tactic of everyone standing still while we hit it at the first defender just isn't working

Genshaw for set piece coach!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Sammi and O go, it goes back, Matt ballons one but we get lucky. Luca send a nice one in and....Sammi now and....Buckley and....Donaldson overheads it and...they get a goal kick. Another visitor has a lie down, the crowd not happy (apparently) and mic lads have a chatathon and a reminiss. Mac wins a corner for us and.....Luca and....Beevers and...a handball shout and....Sammi hits one wide. A few home fans wander off to supper (or somewhere) as we talk of Wigan. We really need at least a point tonight, but....anyway, Luca has another free kick as Mathias comes to the party. Comes to naught as Fletcher leaves the fray.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:41 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Genshaw for set piece coach!
Peter Thompson I think called it within the first few weeks of the season...Parky needs some help on the attacking side through an attacking coach. Whether it’s stubbornness or budget we may never know.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:46 pm

I'm trying to be positive but whatever possessed Parky to think Magennis and Donaldson would be anything better than absolute shite for us this season is beyond me.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Why was Calumn Connelly taking that? Maggenis last league goal was a free kick from a similar distance...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Better team has won.

Jaded performance. Emotional weekend looks to have taken it's toll.

Hoping that Rotherham and Millwall both fail to get points tomorrow. If so then no harm done.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Six mins, Donaldson and....Westwood grabs that. Okowski sallies fort, Sammi and....he can't make ground. They sally, they play passing and.... Foster? comes on for them. Scores that would have been really good had we managed some points. Mic man cahts happily on as we guess what's happening and...we get a free kick via Mac. Two mins plus left and......and....Luca? and......not one for free kick of the year then? Westwood wallops and....Connell put a cracking pass in that mic man reckons Buckley should have had a go at. And, four mins added and.......Mathias shoots and Matt has to save. He wallops and....a long-ranger sails over our bar. I'm thinking that's about it by now folks from the Peter Brough of football reporting.... :wink: Oh, wait and....no, it ends up back with them. Buckley tries, Okowski sallies and....Connell , Sammi and.....that's that.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:54 pm

Our battles are directed sir?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:57 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm
Hoping that Rotherham and Millwall both fail to get points tomorrow. If so then no harm done.
Hmm - except we're a slice nearer the end. The status quo don't work for us, we need to move the dial.

Anyway, onwards. Hopefully with a new owner.

Wigan in the 18 games since the advent calendars went up: W2 D6 L10 (8pts, 0.44ppg)
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 21.53.26.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 21.53.26.png (104.32 KiB) Viewed 2502 times

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Ameobi had his best game in weeks on Saturday. Tonight I think he's had his worst.

Magennis has a thankless task. We could have had the excellent Fletcher up there instead and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. Our midfield and wingers create nowt for him and still haven't sussed that he wins the majority of his headers so stand about 10 metres away from him.

What a bloody frustrating night
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:06 pm
Ameobi had his best game in weeks on Saturday. Tonight I think he's had his worst.

Magennis has a thankless task. We could have had the excellent Fletcher up there instead and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. Our midfield and wingers create nowt for him and still haven't sussed that he wins the majority of his headers so stand about 10 metres away from him.

What a bloody frustrating night
Yes I agree. Ameobi's role and performance gave me hope on Saturday. I have been saying for months, that we need him as our best attacker in forward positions rather than chasing full backs into our own area. Today, he was terrible though.

I think we were pretty unlucky to meet them at their very best, organized and using the bits of quality they have to the maximum. But we can't afford to be unlucky at this stage.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Be nice to drag Wigan down with us with a win on Saturday. He has to try something different though - Lowe in midfield along with Williams and O Neil is so limited offensively.

Ameobi has to play regardless...there isn’t anyone else like him in the squad (except maybe the ostracised Oztumer...what a waste of time and money that was).

If I never see Buckley again it will be too soon.

Magennis or Donaldson...Magennis and Donaldson...it’s like being ask to chose between which leg you want breaking...I know it’s a thankless task but neither offers any movement, or an outlet.

Still
You can’t fault anyone’s effort. It’s a shame we can’t improve the set pieces - keep it tight and trying to nick one.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:31 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 pm
Be nice to drag Wigan down with us with a win on Saturday.
Worth noting that Rotherham are without Will Vaulks, their key man, for three games. Their next three games are QPR away tomorrow, which might at full strength have been winnable, then Norwich at home on Saturday and Derby away after the internationals. We should look to overhaul them in that time; our first game after the break is QPR away...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Lovely thought, but where are the goals coming from?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:02 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 pm
Lovely thought, but where are the goals coming from?
Wherevs :D

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:16 pm

Fingers crossed my man 👍

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Would be nice to hear why we didn't stick with the winning team from Saturday.

I don't think Taylor or Buckley did anything to warrant their lack of inclusion. I would like to think that it is a fitness decision but seeing as we've got most players playing the full 90 I doubt that is the case. I do think that the shift was to get Connolly at LB whilst Lowe covered in midfield, but again, why change a winning formula?

Definitely need a win against Wigan on Saturday.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:57 pm

I thought Connolly at left back was a good move. At least he doesn't take minutes with a throw-in like Taylor. And has more pace than Taylor. He did well.

I don't think it's a coincidence that we won on the weekend without Lowe in midfield. He's not contributing anything right now, and hasn't for quite some time. Has zero composure on the ball, and just gets in the way when others have it.

Would have started Lucca instead of Lowe. The Everton chap played well ... couldn't believe he was subbed.

Poor decision-making again cost us. Shooting from outside of the box should be banned.

Noone/Buckley - doesn't matter which one plays, they contribute jack-sh1t.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 am

PP said the medical opinion was that Buckley and Taylor would be risks to play twice in four days after not playing much football. I can see that. We also have an arguably more important game still to come this week.

But I do think it’s a mistake that only a couple of days after enthusing about the Connolly/Williams midfield duo, he breaks it up to place Connolly at left-back. Personally I’d have put Lowe or even Noone there.

But then I suppose that’s somewhat square-peggery. Another guy we’ve missed a lot from last season is Jedi. Again, scrabbling round in the dirt, sometimes you find gold and sometimes just crap. Sadly Grounds is more of the latter than the former.