He said it's Wednesday on Tuesday, who could argue! - Shef Wed (H) 12/03/19

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: He said it's Wednesday on Tuesday, who could argue! - Shef Wed (H) 12/03/19

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:19 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 am
PP said the medical opinion was that Buckley and Taylor would be risks to play twice in four days after not playing much football. I can see that. We also have an arguably more important game still to come this week.

But I do think it’s a mistake that only a couple of days after enthusing about the Connolly/Williams midfield duo, he breaks it up to place Connolly at left-back. Personally I’d have put Lowe or even Noone there.

But then I suppose that’s somewhat square-peggery. Another guy we’ve missed a lot from last season is Jedi. Again, scrabbling round in the dirt, sometimes you find gold and sometimes just crap. Sadly Grounds is more of the latter than the former.
I think Bruce said it best "we're not very good" - though he was stronger. Our lack of goals means we struggle against sides who are technically better than us. How many times last season did we "dig in" long enough to conjure up a chance for Madine/ALF and score against a better side than ourselves?

This time round against poor sides like Millwall we look a decent side because overall I think we are better than last season. But we lack goalscorers and they make the difference in so many games.

Completely agree re Conolly - and I'd have not disrupted that at all - even if it meant Wilson playing left back if Taylor really was struggling.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:25 am

He changes sides constantly and always has an excuse.

If we don't beat Wigan and the other results go against us, I'll probably chuck in the towel.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 am

Jugs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:25 am

If we don't beat Wigan and the other results go against us, I'll probably chuck in the towel.
Reality is we've been going down for a while.

Its all about what happens with the takeover, IF it happens what their plans are and how they want to proceed next season now. Has been for a while to be honest.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 am
Jugs wrote:

Its all about what happens with the takeover, IF it happens what their plans are and how they want to proceed next season now. Has been for a while to be honest.
If you think we're already down, would you rather see Hall given some game time now? Because watching Magennis and Donaldson at times is painful. Granted, they did well against Birmingham as a pair, but Magennis was so off the pace last night and had no understanding at all with Ameobi.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:10 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:20 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 pm
We'll be relegated at the end of this season.
You seem positive that you think we'll last that long? :D
That's the best 'positive slant' I can muster. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 am

Jugs wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 am
Jugs wrote:

If you think we're already down, would you rather see Hall given some game time now? Because watching Magennis and Donaldson at times is painful. Granted, they did well against Birmingham as a pair, but Magennis was so off the pace last night and had no understanding at all with Ameobi.
I mean Hall couldn't get games at a league one side...so I'd say probably not.

I'd like to see Connell play as many games as possible - however, IF Basran et al get in first they need to get him tied down on a contract.

I suspect Basran will be keen to develop younger players and improve that pipeline so be interesting to see what structures he puts in place. A director of football probably is a necessity now. We need a constant that sits above a first team manager a constant who dictates player recruitment and development strategy. We cannot have a revolving managerial door that leaves no legacy and means overhauls are frequent.

Interesting times but for me I'm looking to the future not the next few weeks as I think ultimately they will prove an inevitability.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Connell has to start on Saturday.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm

The only difference between the teams was quality in the area. they scored 2 good goals (the first one, out of nowhere).

We looked as good as them in every other department, but when you've got lads on 30k per week finishing, you've a hell of a better chance at winning games. Money buys you goals, goals get you points.

thought it was a pretty good effort, to be honest. We're just shit in the oppo's area
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:51 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm
The only difference between the teams was quality in the area. they scored 2 good goals (the first one, out of nowhere).

We looked as good as them in every other department, but when you've got lads on 30k per week finishing, you've a hell of a better chance at winning games. Money buys you goals, goals get you points.

thought it was a pretty good effort, to be honest. We're just shit in the oppo's area
Pretty much this. And the Millwall game shows how much difference a goal can make to the performance thereafter....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Scoring first is key, obviously. The striker situation is the same for us, Rotherham and I am guessing Ipswich. Supply is part of it but we lack movement up there.

Hall I would be tempted with - there’s no way on Gods green earth signing the don up for another season is a good idea so why not integrate him given he is contracted for next year? What harm can it do?

Connell should start if only to try and persuade him to sign for the new owners.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:00 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Yeah maybe. It was a dull game until they scored and then they came alive and played with - as Bruce put it - a swagger. Had we scored first, maybe we'd have had that swagger ...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:16 pm

Jugs wrote:
Thing is the other tail-enders will all be scrapping like demons to stay up. I just hope we lose our "there's still time" attitude and do like wise. There is no time left, none at all. It really is now or never....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 am
I mean Hall couldn't get games at a league one side...so I'd say probably not.

I'd like to see Connell play as many games as possible - however, IF Basran et al get in first they need to get him tied down on a contract.

I suspect Basran will be keen to develop younger players and improve that pipeline so be interesting to see what structures he puts in place. A director of football probably is a necessity now. We need a constant that sits above a first team manager a constant who dictates player recruitment and development strategy. We cannot have a revolving managerial door that leaves no legacy and means overhauls are frequent.

Interesting times but for me I'm looking to the future not the next few weeks as I think ultimately they will prove an inevitability.
What is this statement based on? Do you not think all chairmen / owners want this at every club in the country?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:06 pm

One of the group of companies is a young talent agency for lower league players I think. Got that from the exchanges on WW between Ken(s mate) and Basran(s mate or possibly ceo).

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:06 pm
One of the group of companies is a young talent agency for lower league players I think. Got that from the exchanges on WW between Ken(s mate) and Basran(s mate or possibly ceo).
Is there going to be a conflict of interest?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:34 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:44 pm
What is this statement based on?

Oi! Stop with the awkward questions.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Not a fecking clue.
Surely it’s no different to Lee Anderson trousering a sum every time we signed a player?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:41 pm
malcd1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Not a fecking clue.
Surely it’s no different to Lee Anderson trousering a sum every time we signed a player?
Perhaps other rejects may come here but I'm sure he won't be able to be their agent / advisor and then sign him for Bolton. Of course, Lee did not have an official position at Bolton.

Parminder will own us. Not sure how that will all work. Minefield.