Turn right at t-Bird i-th hand pub Hindley. Wigan away, Sat 16th,3-0'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Turn right at t-Bird i-th hand pub Hindley. Wigan away, Sat 16th,3-0'clock

Post by DJBlu » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:36 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:35 pm
4-1

I just hope there's no trouble at the ground.

Absolute shite.

Optimism back next week. Sorry but you can't defend that display.
How are you going to summon optimism after this?
I controlled an aircraft today with King Juan Carlos I of Spain on it. This has been my highlight of the day. I knew after that it was all down hill.

I'll admit it's going to be difficult but there is that little hope that Phil Parkinson might actually get the bottle to resign. This hope is what is driving me on.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Yeah he has to go now. This has been abysmal season.

Hopefully we'll be competitive in League One with new owners, a new manager and a decent team.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:24 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:51 pm
As an aside...Another howler by Remi. I’m certainly far from sold on him over Alnwick despite his shot stopping ability.

Can’t wait to clear the decks. Donaldson has to be one of our worst ever players. Magennis - Id love to see his average touches per game, he’s shit. Lowe is gash, Hobbs is shit, the two Everton loaners are championship deadweights at best, Buckley is stealing a loving when he’s not being paid, Noone is crap, Ameobi can’t be fecked. I think Gary O Neil, Wheater and Beevers are good lads though!
Plenty of contracts up in summer. Namely:

Ben Amos
Mark Beevers
David Wheater
Jack Hobbs
Marc Wilson
Mark Little
Andrew Taylor
Jonathan Grounds (loan)
Gary O'Neil
Josh Vela
Callum Connolly (loan)
Joe Williams (loan)
Will Buckley
Craig Noone
Yanic Wildschut (loan)
Clayton Donaldson

It'll be fascinating to see who out of that lot gets offered an extension to join these, who are contracted to 2020:

Ben Alnwick
Remi Matthews
Pawel Olkowski
Jason Lowe
Luke Murphy
Erhun Oztumer
Sammy Ameobi
Josh Magennis
Connor Hall

Chances are it will be a very very different Bolton next season... if we get that far (which I'm sure we will, once the court-steps willy-waggling has ended and King Ken topples from his throne)

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:24 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:51 pm
As an aside...Another howler by Remi. I’m certainly far from sold on him over Alnwick despite his shot stopping ability.

Can’t wait to clear the decks. Donaldson has to be one of our worst ever players. Magennis - Id love to see his average touches per game, he’s shit. Lowe is gash, Hobbs is shit, the two Everton loaners are championship deadweights at best, Buckley is stealing a loving when he’s not being paid, Noone is crap, Ameobi can’t be fecked. I think Gary O Neil, Wheater and Beevers are good lads though!
Plenty of contracts up in summer. Namely:

Ben Amos
Mark Beevers
David Wheater
Jack Hobbs
Marc Wilson
Mark Little
Andrew Taylor
Jonathan Grounds (loan)
Gary O'Neil
Josh Vela
Callum Connolly (loan)
Joe Williams (loan)
Will Buckley
Craig Noone
Yanic Wildschut (loan)
Clayton Donaldson

It'll be fascinating to see who out of that lot gets offered an extension to join these, who are contracted to 2020:

Ben Alnwick
Remi Matthews
Pawel Olkowski
Jason Lowe
Luke Murphy
Erhun Oztumer
Sammy Ameobi
Josh Magennis
Connor Hall

Chances are it will be a very very different Bolton next season... if we get that far (which I'm sure we will, once the court-steps willy-waggling has ended and King Ken topples from his throne)
Oz will be readymade for League One, should the new manager bring him back into the fold. It was alarming that Parky was trying to sell him in January. He's already scored a pile of goals in League One. Losing him to a potential rival for next season would have been such a big mistake.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:17 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:10 pm
there is that little hope that Phil Parkinson might actually get the bottle to resign. This hope is what is driving me on.
I very much doubt he'll fall on his sword right now. For a start, it would seem like jumping ship just as it hits the rocks, and I think he's the type to go down on the bridge.

Also, purely practically, he might be days away from finally being free of Ken, which would be like taking off the world's tightest pair of shoes. In that instance, his main job would be convincing the new owners he could take us back up, which he managed before under embargo. Personally I'm not sure he's the right choice (and anyway new owners almost always have their own ideas - Warburton?) but he'd be daft not to at least hang about and throw his hat in the ring.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:29 pm
Jugs wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
there is that little hope that Phil Parkinson might actually get the bottle to resign. This hope is what is driving me on.
I very much doubt he'll fall on his sword right now. For a start, it would seem like jumping ship just as it hits the rocks, and I think he's the type to go down on the bridge.

Also, purely practically, he might be days away from finally being free of Ken, which would be like taking off the world's tightest pair of shoes. In that instance, his main job would be convincing the new owners he could take us back up, which he managed before under embargo. Personally I'm not sure he's the right choice (and anyway new owners almost always have their own ideas - Warburton?) but he'd be daft not to at least hang about and throw his hat in the ring.
I mean, what you say all makes sense from his point of view. But from a fan's point of view, he has to go now. We can't take it anymore. Starting our slowest CM at right back when he has two fit and competent right backs available was just insane, and I'm beginning to think that he might well be a madman.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 pm
Oz will be readymade for League One, should the new manager bring him back into the fold. It was alarming that Parky was trying to sell him in January. He's already scored a pile of goals in League One. Losing him to a potential rival for next season would have been such a big mistake.
Fully agree on Oz, at the moment he's the thing I'm most looking forward to with a new manager/division. He got 15 goals a season in a team finishing 14th then 19th, so you'd think he could do even better in a team hoping for a higher berth.

Not sure Parky was trying to sell him though. Lee Bowyer said there was a loan lined up on the proviso Ched Evans came to us, but only a loan.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... on-bowyer/

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:32 pm
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:29 pm
Jugs wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

I mean, what you say all makes sense from his point of view. But from a fan's point of view, he has to go now. We can't take it anymore. Starting our slowest CM at right back when he has two fit and competent right backs available was just insane, and I'm beginning to think that he might well be a madman.
I can't argue with that. But he won't go. And we have much much bigger fish to fry this week (hopefully God not longer than this week).

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:58 pm

If Parky chucks his hat in under a new owner they can feck right off wiping the slate clean with fans and they will sell about 5000 season tickets...

We’ve had enough.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:30 pm

A tale of two full backs. Mark Little can't get a game with us for some reason. Olkowski who's form had dipped but improved again over the last fortnight, is relegated to the bench and we ask a centre midfielder to play there. Said centre midfielder gets skinned, injured and booked all in the first minute and we go a goal down from the free kick he's conceded.

Robinson. Chose Wigan over us for footballing reasons. We made him look like Cafu.

Add to this our appalling set pieces, players showing no gamesmanship or leadership and the freezing out of players like Little, Ozthumer and ALF before them. Tough hand or not, Parkys stamp is all over this current shambles.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Making myself a hostage to fortune here but I'm almost as sure that new owners would replace him as I am that he won't resign.

If he gets bumped off, he gets a pay bump, and while managers rarely want sympathy I reckon more than a few wouldn't begrudge him that fiscal farewell, after the ludicrous hoops he's had to jump through. Trouble is, he's added plenty of his own, as described. Too many hoops spoil the plot.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:30 pm
A tale of two full backs. Mark Little can't get a game with us for some reason. Olkowski who's form had dipped but improved again over the last fortnight, is relegated to the bench and we ask a centre midfielder to play there. Said centre midfielder gets skinned, injured and booked all in the first minute and we go a goal down from the free kick he's conceded.

Robinson. Chose Wigan over us for footballing reasons. We made him look like Cafu.

Add to this our appalling set pieces, players showing no gamesmanship or leadership and the freezing out of players like Little, Ozthumer and ALF before them. Tough hand or not, Parkys stamp is all over this current shambles.
I'm actually laughing. I mean, it's just farcical. A ridiculous error of judgment by Parky.

And it's true - he's alienated players. Good players that could have been useful at this level, and especially at a lower level. I read last week that Little is already off this summer and you can't blame him. But what a talent he'd have been at League One level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:30 pm

I like Little, I think he would have been useful, and I don't like the way Parkinson has excised him. But let's not get carried away: for all that he was a threat going forward, he was also quite capable of being a defensive liability. It's the balance that a modern full-back must strike and I remember him quite often getting pelters on here.

In the last home game before he was dropped for Flanagan, he completely let Matt Targett (No.21) go for Fulham's opening goal (at 0'08" here):

Two home games before that – another 1-1, this time against Ipswich – he'd let David McGoldrick (yes, that one) wander past him to set up Joe Garner (yes, that one) for the late equaliser (at 1'38" here):

Then he got sent off at QPR for a frankly crap lunge on Luongo – possibly more inept than malign, but gormless nonetheless; we subsequently lost 2-0 and he was out of the team for six weeks. Came back in at Derby; for their second early goal, he was on the edge of the area vaguely waving offside while Vydra tapped in, and I daresay that was Parky's mind made up that Flanagan was the more solid (if much, much less attacking) right-sided option. (0'44" here)

Again, I like(d) Little and personally I'd have given him more time than Parkinson has. It's all a bit Andranik, but those comparisons only come when the blokes in the team fall short, and too many of them have done just that. As usual, their manager takes some of the responsibility and all of the culpability. This is his squad, and while we'll never know how much more of a chance we'd have had if he hadn't been feeding on scraps, it's Parkinson's job to select the best men available, and frankly today that didn't happen.

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:03 pm

Just seen match highlights on Quest. Know how you feel, it's hard down here at the bottom of the league. At least you still have a chance of staying up, We'll be visiting up there in a couple of weeks but really it looks like both teams are done for. Just to add we're playing a lot better lately but luck isn't going our way. Referee today was very poor, made some glaring errors that cost the team a victory that may just have provided a glimmer of hope. What with you and Rotherham losing we could have made up some ground.

I hope you can still get out of it seriously.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:10 pm

OrtonCakeBingoBongo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:03 pm
Just seen match highlights on Quest. Know how you feel, it's hard down here at the bottom of the league. At least you still have a chance of staying up, We'll be visiting up there in a couple of weeks but really it looks like both teams are done for. Just to add we're playing a lot better lately but luck isn't going our way. Referee today was very poor, made some glaring errors that cost the team a victory that may just have provided a glimmer of hope. What with you and Rotherham losing we could have made up some ground.

I hope you can still get out of it seriously.
It's gone, mate, we're down with you. Bigger worry at the moment is what financial shape we'll be in by then, and whether Ken Anderson will happily send us into administration or liquidation in order to get slightly more bang for his buck. Compared to fights like that, relegation is a stubbed toe: a bright sharp pain that's quickly diminished.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Not sure what fighting with police and stewards has to do with being a rubbish football team with a stubborn and seemingly clueless manager who lose every week? Frustration I understand, but what does all that solve?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:51 pm

In regards to Little, both goals Forest scored in the last game last season were partly/fully his fault. Those mistakes look to have sent us down, until Sir Aaron stepped up.

Olk should start every single week. He got the confidence up against Millwall, and is one of 4 or 5 we have that is confident on the ball.

Today wasn't the first time Lowe gave away a silly free kick that led to a goal. The 3rd I think.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:04 pm

Is Lowe a bit shit or is it cos he plays for us? Can’t make my mind up...

He’s not a fuxkin fullback!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:26 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:04 pm
Is Lowe a bit shit or is it cos he plays for us? Can’t make my mind up...

He’s not a fuxkin fullback!
I like Lowe but as a central midfielder. His best games for us have been in a combative middle three.

I get Parky may not like Little now but he's a right back. If there were doubts about Pav's fitness then Little should have started. You don't, imo, start putting square pegs in round holes.

I thought I was past caring too much these days but today's result left me as low as Stoke and black Sunday. Even the pies were shit today. In Wigan FFS!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:44 pm

Haha
We’ll be back, I’m sure.
Wigan can have today...we’ll meet again in opposite directions I reckon. A fan base half the size of ours - there’s no way they will be above us consistently. This season has been the biggest chore, really put me off my football. But it’s in the blood...

Sort the ownership mess.
Get on an even keel.
Build again, new manager, new players. Play some football for a change! Score some actual goals!

One last shithouse defeat at Rovers to take then that’s it, we’ll have a ‘New manager’ thread in no time!