The next manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The next manager

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:02 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:21 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 am
Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am
DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:30 pm
Crazily Lee Bowyer's contract negotiations have broken down at Charlton.
Oh no they haven't!
Good. Thuggish, racist, Cockney c*nt. :)
But bad, because he wants Oztumer, who could be very useful in the third tier under the right manager.
See, I'd say that the prospect of Oztumer staying will have more to do with whether or not Parky's still here, than it would Bowyer being down there, no?

And I've absolutely no doubt that he will be more than useful at this level, as he's already proven himself to be. Again however, if Parky isn't here to freeze him out once more.

My hunch is that if he's offered a return to London after twelve months of not playing up north, and that return offers him a second chance at making it at Championship level, he will probably take it regardless of who our manager is.
This, really. I completely understand Bruce’s point about Oz’s alienation under Parky but this is about more than us. A second-tier team is better than a third-tier team. A second-tier club in your hometown, well that’s even harder to turn down.

As a side note: any player who hated Parky could quite reasonably have walked by now, contract or no, under cover of the non-payment. True, some might be worried about what next, but if I were Oz I’d be confident of getting at least a third-tier offer. Interesting, then, that he hasn’t.

Again, for clarity: I think Bolton, and certainly Oz, would be better off without Parky this coming season. But it seems fairly obvious to me that the (or rather some) fans hate Parkinson far more than the players seem to.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:02 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
...will probably take it regardless of who our manager is.
... it seems fairly obvious to me that the (or rather some) fans hate Parkinson far more than the players seem to.
Players want to play. I don't see what a player's view of a manager has to do with it. When someone interviews for a job at Rolls Royce, they don't apply for the job on the basis of who their line manager's going to be. Maybe it's different in your world, maybe you actually would turn down £200,000 per annum if Xxxx (enter a name of your choice here) was your editor, but in reality, I doubt it. And the converse is true, if you've got a job then you've got one... Better than the dole.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:32 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
... it seems fairly obvious to me that the (or rather some) fans hate Parkinson far more than the players seem to.
Players want to play. I don't see what a player's view of a manager has to do with it. When someone interviews for a job at Rolls Royce, they don't apply for the job on the basis of who their line manager's going to be. Maybe it's different in your world, maybe you actually would turn down £200,000 per annum if Xxxx (enter a name of your choice here) was your editor, but in reality, I doubt it. And the converse is true, if you've got a job then you've got one... Better than the dole.
Which is fair enough to an extent – even if many many players have expressed clear preferences (good and bad) about playing for certain managers, whether it's our old friend John McGovern signing for Cloughie at four different clubs, the similar record of Nobby and Sam, or the converse: clearing off ASAP. But I'm still not sure precisely what your point is.

If Oztumer wanted to play (as opposed to just getting paid for sitting in the stands, presumably on a booster cushion) then presumably he'd hate Parkinson and want to leave, because in that instance he's sure to "want to play" somewhere else.

Or maybe you're saying that it doesn't really matter who the manager is, which adds something of a spin to more than a few posts on here :D

(For the record, I've never resigned to flee an editor, but I have known many in my industry who have jumped as soon as possible, whether to lesser jobs or to freelance, in order to avoid a bad boss. As it happens, and you can believe this or not, but I've genuinely just heard of another one this very day.)

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:06 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:03 am
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Enoch wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Oh no they haven't!
But bad, because he wants Oztumer, who could be very useful in the third tier under the right manager.
See, I'd say that the prospect of Oztumer staying will have more to do with whether or not Parky's still here, than it would Bowyer being down there, no?

And I've absolutely no doubt that he will be more than useful at this level, as he's already proven himself to be. Again however, if Parky isn't here to freeze him out once more.

My hunch is that if he's offered a return to London after twelve months of not playing up north, and that return offers him a second chance at making it at Championship level, he will probably take it regardless of who our manager is.
This, really. I completely understand Bruce’s point about Oz’s alienation under Parky but this is about more than us. A second-tier team is better than a third-tier team. A second-tier club in your hometown, well that’s even harder to turn down.

As a side note: any player who hated Parky could quite reasonably have walked by now, contract or no, under cover of the non-payment. True, some might be worried about what next, but if I were Oz I’d be confident of getting at least a third-tier offer. Interesting, then, that he hasn’t.

Again, for clarity: I think Bolton, and certainly Oz, would be better off without Parky this coming season. But it seems fairly obvious to me that the (or rather some) fans hate Parkinson far more than the players seem to.
'Hate' might be too strong a word, but he's definitely frozen out some very solid players - players who would have reason to dislike him because of that. Reminds me of Dougie in that sense (and with all the chopping and changing, too).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:15 pm

Jugs wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:06 pm
...it seems fairly obvious to me that the (or rather some) fans hate Parkinson far more than the players seem to.
'Hate' might be too strong a word, but he's definitely frozen out some very solid players - players who would have reason to dislike him because of that. Reminds me of Dougie in that sense (and with all the chopping and changing, too).
He has certainly overlooked some. Little and Oztumer last season, there will have been others before who slip my addled memory now (do please help).

That said, Little couldn't tackle a fish supper and Oz is something of a luxury No.10, so both had tactical reasons behind their absences (even if I'd disagree with those decisions). And, likesay, Oztumer is still at the club, and even in Little's wide-ranging exit interview the strongest emotion he expressed toward Parkinson not picking him was bemusement. He says he was "forced out" but by the fiscal f*cktastrophe, not Parky:
I’ve been forced out. You just can’t predict what is going to happen there. Even if they find a buyer within the allotted timeframe it’s going to be panic stations. And as a footballer coming out of contract you need to make sensible decisions for your career and for your family. You can’t do that over the course of a week...

The manager said I was fitter than I had been the previous summer but then he signed Pav (Pawel Olkowski) and that was that. I’m not angry, I’m not going to start moaning and groaning, I was just gutted that the move hadn’t worked out...

The manager said [in December] if I wanted to go out and get more games, find another club, I could. But I honestly looked at the team and thought I was getting back in there. We were losing games left, right and centre, so I was thinking ‘surely he has got to put me in at some stage?’ And at that point I wanted to kick on. I’m confused why that wasn’t the case but that’s life.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... rivalries/

Either he's a Zen master or Parky's not the great evil. Even players he doesn't pick don't seem to hate him. Unlike under Freedman or Lennon, there's been nothing leaking out about discontentment with the manager himself. I guess we'll seen when he leaves but he genuinely seems popular with players from the kids to the crones.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:05 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:32 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Which is fair enough to an extent – even if many many players have expressed clear preferences (good and bad) about playing for certain managers, whether it's our old friend John McGovern signing for Cloughie at four different clubs, the similar record of Nobby and Sam, or the converse: clearing off ASAP. But I'm still not sure precisely what your point is.

If Oztumer wanted to play (as opposed to just getting paid for sitting in the stands, presumably on a booster cushion) then presumably he'd hate Parkinson and want to leave, because in that instance he's sure to "want to play" somewhere else.

Or maybe you're saying that it doesn't really matter who the manager is, which adds something of a spin to more than a few posts on here :D

(For the record, I've never resigned to flee an editor, but I have known many in my industry who have jumped as soon as possible, whether to lesser jobs or to freelance, in order to avoid a bad boss. As it happens, and you can believe this or not, but I've genuinely just heard of another one this very day.)
To clarify. I'm saying those who haven't fled yet are probably not going to flee. Their decision won't be predicated on who the manager is or isn't going to be.
Circumstances have already provided enough reasons why a player won't be still playing for us next year. What I do take exception to, is any idea that those who remain have any kind of 'love' for Parkinson/and/or/his methods, whatever the depth of (the fan's) hatred for Parkinson may or may not be.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:15 pm
Jugs wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:06 pm
...it seems fairly obvious to me that the (or rather some) fans hate Parkinson far more than the players seem to.
He has certainly overlooked some. Little and Oztumer last season, there will have been others before who slip my addled memory now (do please help).

That said, Little couldn't tackle a fish supper and Oz is something of a luxury No.10, so both had tactical reasons behind their absences (even if I'd disagree with those decisions). And, likesay, Oztumer is still at the club, and even in Little's wide-ranging exit interview the strongest emotion he expressed toward Parkinson not picking him was bemusement. He says he was "forced out" but by the fiscal f*cktastrophe, not Parky:
Ah well, Parky signed Oz, he knew the kind of player he was, and what he could (and couldn't) bring to the team, but to not even have him on the bench half the time just seemed stupid. And when he had his decent games (Villa away) he was still the first to be dropped.

And then there was Vela - was Williamsreally that much better than him? Williams has gone back to Everton and now Vela, who would have been very useful in League One, allegedly wants out as well.

Little: Say what you want about his ability to tackle, but he was a damn sight better than Flanagan, who bizarrely took his place near the end of 17/18 and was part of the run that nearly took us down. And let's be honest, Olkowski didn't rip up a single tree since September but Little never got a look-in.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Enoch wrote:
DJBlu wrote:
Oh no they haven't!
Well it seems he was when he was 19 and he smoked cannabis when he was 18 but did he use cocaine when he was 20?

That's what I want to know.

...and what's with this downer on Cockerneees.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:31 pm

For what it's worth, I'm not convinced Parky did sign Oztumer. Or at least, I doubt he had a huge amount of input in it happening.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:31 pm
For what it's worth, I'm not convinced Parky did sign Oztumer. Or at least, I doubt he had a huge amount of input in it happening.
If Parky didn't want him, it's a black mark against the manager. Statistically, one of the third tier's most creative midfielders; financially, available on a free. Such chances aren't common. Man(ager) cannot live on defensive midfielders alone.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:28 pm

Imho, the Oztumer situation was quite a sad one. His signing was always a gamble, and the type we had to take given the clear lack of goals and chances in the side this time last year. But whilst he had a great goals/assist record at Walsall, they struggled as a team during that time. It always looked a question of does he need the team to revolve him to be effective? If so that was never going to work at Championship level.

Based on last season it did look a bit like lhat though he was never a good match for a Parky team, especially one struggling against teams with better players, and big problems off the pitch. I think Oztumer proved himself to be quite weak mentally when he did get his chance. He too often went into positions where he couldn't hurt anyone to play non-threatening passes when he was in the side as a creative force. His set pieces were poor too. And Parky had him doing a lot of running and chasing, seemingly trying to turn him into a more creative version of the 2016-18 Vela, which is clearly not his game. I am sure it is much harder to weight a pass precisely, or place a shot accurately when you are running beyond your capabilities and getting involved in physical match ups that you will lose every time. Just a sad episode of a sad season.

If he stays, it will be interesting to see if the next manager can get something out of Oztumer, assuming the new owners, if confirmed (this delay is starting to feel a bit twitchy) get rid of Parky,

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
If Parky didn't want him, it's a black mark against the manager. Statistically, one of the third tier's most creative midfielders; financially, available on a free. Such chances aren't common. Man(ager) cannot live on defensive midfielders alone.
I think he was told he could have him and said yes on the basis that he might not get any bugger else!
It was as predictable as night and day that he'd get the odd game and be binned for a clogger as soon as things weren't going well. Parky is totally incapable of getting anything out of a player like that. Always will be.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:51 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

I could be wrong, obviously, but, rightly or wrongly, I just don't think Parky would've identified Oz as his man to alleviate the problems we'd been experiencing creatively.

I remember early in the season when he started him as a No.10, the two were constantly in communication, with Parky encouraging him at every opportunity to close down the space and press the opposition when out of possession. Try as he might, and perhaps not unexpectedly, he was really quite ineffective at it. And, again, perhaps through no fault of his own, he too often appeared to struggle to get properly involved in an attacking sense, resulting in him dropping deeper and deeper. 

It might well be that because of his natural cautiousness Parky gave up on him too early, or that he was being misused by a manager who didn't understand him (I accept this might be the more likely), but it certainly felt to me when watching him play that they'd been foisted upon one another and were trying, ultimately unsuccessfully, to find a way to get by.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:51 pm

He wasn't good enough. League 1 player (and a good one, I hope we keep him) but way out of his depth. Absolute liability off the ball. Not brave enough on it. Kept doing deep to look tidy then higher up the pitch trying flicks that never came off. Half his goals for Walsall were 35 yarders that went in 4 foot inside the post, because league 1 goalkeepers would learn from training with the women. We'll be playing against them next year so I hope he's here, but league 1 is his level.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:08 am

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:23 pm

...and what's with this downer on Cockerneees.
Only those in SE16, Enoch. ;)

One of my best friends is ver' near Cockernee. Lives in Chiswick :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Joggers Nipple
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Joggers Nipple » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:08 pm

This lot are all half decent managers that are out of work:

Martin O’Neil
Nigel Adkins
Franck Passi (don’t know if he’s any good to be honest)
Chris Hughton
Gary Rowett
Tony Pulis
Aitor karanka
Gary Monk

But could you see any of them coming to us? (Nigel Adkins maybe..)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:24 pm

So... If Parkinson is the next fxcking manager (i.e the cxnt's not going to be sacked), what the fxck is he going to do?
If he sticks with his negativity, when starting on at least minus twelve points, he's going to look like the biggest tit in the history of football management.
And if he goes all positive, we're going to be so fxcked over that minus twelve points will look like a bonus.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:05 pm

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:26 pm

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:05 pm
Qué? :conf:

Despite 49 people talking about it, I for one am no nearer understanding what, exactly, it is they are talking about.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:26 pm
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:05 pm
Qué? :conf:

Despite 49 people talking about it, I for one am no nearer understanding what, exactly, it is they are talking about.
In my opinion, with time marching on ee need an experienced manager with a deep knowledge of lower-league players, an extensive recruitment network and a coaching staff on standby. If that manager’s CV includes four third-tier promotions with four different clubs, that might be useful in time.

I think Grayson is the most legitimate potential successor to Parkinson, but he may be on his way to the seaside. And as unfair as it may seem, the rebirths of our club and theirs will draw comparisons during the season.