The next manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The next manager

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 28, 2019 6:44 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:52 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:54 pm
Kev Nolan may be a Scouser, but when here he was pure Bolton. He's the man for me.
Does he have the requisite ability though?
How do you determine that then?
People who have worked in similar circumstances and succeeded?

That would be the obvious way. The other like any job is to decide what key skills and personal qualities you are looking for and interview.

Or just give it Nolan cos he played here once. I like Nolan a lot but I’d want to be sure he was the best we could get. Which he may well be. But appointing managers on the basis they played here once is not a good place to start from.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 28, 2019 7:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:44 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Kev Nolan may be a Scouser, but when here he was pure Bolton. He's the man for me.

That would be the obvious way. The other like any job is to decide what key skills and personal qualities you are looking for and interview.

Or just give it Nolan cos he played here once. I like Nolan a lot but I’d want to be sure he was the best we could get. Which he may well be. But appointing managers on the basis they played here once is not a good place to start from.
That'll be no one then? Unless you know of another side who's started the season on minus 12, under an embargo and who didn't complete their fixtures due to strike action?

Nolan is a great shout because (a) he's got coaching experience and (b) he knows the club but as with any appointment it's a punt.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 28, 2019 7:26 am

Available manager with multiple promotions: Simon Grayson.

Manager with promotion under embargo: Phil Parkinson.

Other manager with promotion under embargo: Eddie Howe.

I do think Nolan would be a feel-good appointment. Like Coyle was. If he comes, I’ll have doubts but I’ll back him.

BWFCi, who would you have?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 28, 2019 8:34 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:26 am

I do think Nolan would be a feel-good appointment. Like Coyle was. If he comes, I’ll have doubts but I’ll back him.

Its impossible to answer that until we know if we have new owners, who they are, and what their plans are.

If they want a quick turnaround then someone like Grayson with experience of promotion is a good shout. Season to keep us up and assess then a season to kick on. If the new owners are looking at something longer term and really putting foundations down then I'd advocate a younger coach (possibly Nolan) with a DoF to carry out the strategy and bring consistency across the management of the club.

I do think just appointing Nolan because he played here would be silly though. As you say the comparisons with Coyle are there - but in hindsight Coyle was the worst appointment we've made and that takes some doing.....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue May 28, 2019 8:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

No-one is suggesting that. That would be a Kevin Davies appointment.
Nolan's had 2 lower League clubs now, both of whom were in trouble and dropped out of the league. His managerial experience may have contributed to that but sacking him didn't fix things either. He's an intelligent bloke who will have learned and has a lot of experience throughout the game now.
Lots more to it than feel-good, but I'm all for a bit of that after recent miseries as well.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue May 28, 2019 8:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:34 am

Its impossible to answer that until we know if we have new owners, who they are, and what their plans are.

If they want a quick turnaround then someone like Grayson with experience of promotion is a good shout. Season to keep us up and assess then a season to kick on. If the new owners are looking at something longer term and really putting foundations down then I'd advocate a younger coach (possibly Nolan) with a DoF to carry out the strategy and bring consistency across the management of the club.

I do think just appointing Nolan because he played here would be silly though. As you say the comparisons with Coyle are there - but in hindsight Coyle was the worst appointment we've made and that takes some doing.....
Coyle was a coup at the time, an up and coming manager who was sought after and bring talked of as future arsenal manager.
Yes, he was a disaster but its easy to be clever with hindsight.
Also were not talking about handing Nolan a premier League club.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 28, 2019 8:42 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:38 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Coyle was a coup at the time, an up and coming manager who was sought after and bring talked of as future arsenal manager.
Yes, he was a disaster but its easy to be clever with hindsight.
Also were not talking about handing Nolan a premier League club.
My point was only that when the time comes I'd like us to assess all options and not just go down the road of "give it Giggsy" automatically because it will appease some fans.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:07 am

Given many of our fans would jettison Parky over his playing style, then Nolan might not be the answer.

From the little I saw of Notts County's play off games in the 2017/18 season, I remember mostly older players with a BSA style long ball and pick up the pieces approach. Hardly surprising that Nolan would be a managerial clone of BSA given his entire career was under his tutelage. Nolan was apparently sacked after a winless start to this season after being asked to bring the wage bill and age of the squad down.

Until we see who the owners are very hard to imagine who we might go for. Ian Holloway would be worthy of consideration imho...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 28, 2019 9:09 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:07 am
Given many of our fans would jettison Parky over his playing style, then Nolan might not be the answer.

From the little I saw of Notts County's play off games in the 2017/18 season, I remember mostly older players with a BSA style long ball and pick up the pieces approach. Hardly surprising that Nolan would be a managerial clone of BSA given his entire career was under his tutelage. Nolan was apparently sacked after a winless start to this season after being asked to bring the wage bill and age of the squad down.

Until we see who the owners are very hard to imagine who we might go for. Ian Holloway would be worthy of consideration imho...
I watched those games and what struck me most was how Notts County somewhat bottled it.

His record is not that enticing. As an idea I like it but I think there will likely be more sensible options...

As for Ian Holloway....please never say that again.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 28, 2019 9:56 am

I'd have agreed with Simon Grayson until I saw the 'Sunderland til I die' documentary on Netflix. Excellent viewing if you haven't seen it with some very similar parallels to us. Grayson looked to have zero charisma and was seen to show no interest in selling himself or the club to a player he was trying to sign. The lad wisely went elsewhere.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 28, 2019 10:51 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:56 am
I'd have agreed with Simon Grayson until I saw the 'Sunderland til I die' documentary on Netflix. Excellent viewing if you haven't seen it with some very similar parallels to us. Grayson looked to have zero charisma and was seen to show no interest in selling himself or the club to a player he was trying to sign. The lad wisely went elsewhere.
Sunderland didn't work. But he's got four teams promoted, so something did.

As noted, very much depends on the ownership - they may well have their own idea, and it's often Zola.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue May 28, 2019 11:18 am

Tue May 28, 2019 10:51 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:56 am
Sunderland didn't work. But he's got four teams promoted, so something did.

As noted, very much depends on the ownership - they may well have their own idea, and it's often Zola.
If we're going down that route let's have Campo!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 28, 2019 11:55 am

LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

No-one is suggesting that. That would be a Kevin Davies appointment.
Nolan's had 2 lower League clubs now, both of whom were in trouble and dropped out of the league. His managerial experience may have contributed to that but sacking him didn't fix things either. He's an intelligent bloke who will have learned and has a lot of experience throughout the game now.
Lots more to it than feel-good, but I'm all for a bit of that after recent miseries as well.
Exactly. He was also the captain, BSA's right-hand man on the pitch (even more so at West Ham). Comes from a football family involved in lower league coaching and management. Has always spoken well and clearly planned to go into management.

Of all our former players he is the one I would've said had "future manager" stamped on him most. No guarantees of course, and would certainly be a risk but there's more to suggesting Nolan than just "he used to play for us".
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 28, 2019 12:19 pm

Nolan also has a good win ratio - 7 of 15 (46.7%) at Orient, then 35 of 84 (41.7%) at Notts County. I will freely admit I saw none of the former and little of the latter so I have no qualitative perspective but quantitatively that's quite impressive.

You can add in that each team was relegated the year after Nobby left - although dependent on circumstance that isn't always a sign of the absent manager's greatness: Harry Redknapp's old clubs tend to suffer in his wake, and I don't think it's because of departed genius.

Question marks for sure. It would be a big risk for any club, let alone one under punishment, embargo and with new owners presumably keen to recoup their considerable outlay. But I can see the reasoning.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 28, 2019 12:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I do think just appointing Nolan because he played here would be silly though.
I haven't seen anybody suggesting that? In the real world, ownership hopes apart, the truth is in the old "Beggars can't be choosers" dictum, and we certainly fit that one right now. We don't even know who would be interested in taking on the busted flush Titanic football club that we now are. Maybe some of us still value attitude and loyalty above pot hunting and just being on a side that's winning, and "wish" somebody like Kev Nolan could help us still be here in a couple of seasons. There's no guarantee we'll even do that, but nobody has suggested abandoning common sense.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Reports of David Lee being given the job by Football Ventures. Did wonder if his Wanderer podcast appearance was strategic. Thoughts?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Branagan wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:04 pm
Reports of David Lee being given the job by Football Ventures. Did wonder if his Wanderer podcast appearance was strategic. Thoughts?
I'd be delighted :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:23 pm

Branagan wrote:
Why can't we have a proper title owner/management, like Kentucky Fried Coconuts or Genco Olive Oil or summat? :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:40 pm

Branagan wrote:
Where did you hear this, Branagan? I can't find anything.

I know David Lee has been quoted as saying he would love the opportunity to manage the club one day but I didn't read anything into it.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Sorry can't work out how to embed tweets but LOV posted this based on a gated Times article: https://twitter.com/LionOfViennaSte/sta ... 15075?s=19

Still just a report at this point of course. Could just be a journo having a punt.