The next manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The next manager

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Even if he was good enough I'm not sure during on the bench would be great week in week out.

Think the U18s play Saturdays too (U23s midweek) so he'd be better off playing football IMO. Could gamble and register that coach (Williams?) as a player and then if the #1 gets injured play Alexander. Not ideal but could save money.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:43 pm

BWFC_I wrote:Is Alnwick here still? Not played at all has he? Nor been seen in the training photos - could be injured I guess.
Alnwick was on the bench at Wycombe.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:48 pm

There’s not much between the two keepers and both are more than adequate for this level. I’d offer both around and let whichever we can get most for go.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:52 pm

So long as he could still get regular game time with the under 18s or 23s I don't see why Matthews couldn't be no2 & on the bench every week. Fine in an emergency and cheap. Just what we need.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:35 am
8-10 experienced pro's seems about right. Ignoring the strike issue and using players we know about as an example;

Alnwick, Wilson, Lowe, Hobbs and Connolly would give us an alternative back 4 and cover for defensive midfield slots.

You've then got say 4 places (if signing 9 new players) for the forward positions.

It would leave us light certainly but costs would be low and we may have some breathing space for loans in the event of injuries or suspensions
Is Alnwick here still? Not played at all has he? Nor been seen in the training photos - could be injured I guess. Wilson has gone elsewhere. I can't see Connolly if I'm honest - our wages are so restrictive now in embargo....
I was just using players we know about as an example but I'm surprised to hear Wilson has found somewhere else (where's he ended up at?)

Connolly and Everton have a choice now. He spends 6 months in the development squad or goes on loan to a L1 or L2 side. A step back from where he's played his previous first team footy but better than more youth team stuff surely?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:35 am
8-10 experienced pro's seems about right. Ignoring the strike issue and using players we know about as an example;

Alnwick, Wilson, Lowe, Hobbs and Connolly would give us an alternative back 4 and cover for defensive midfield slots.

You've then got say 4 places (if signing 9 new players) for the forward positions.

It would leave us light certainly but costs would be low and we may have some breathing space for loans in the event of injuries or suspensions
Is Alnwick here still? Not played at all has he? Nor been seen in the training photos - could be injured I guess. Wilson has gone elsewhere. I can't see Connolly if I'm honest - our wages are so restrictive now in embargo....
I was just using players we know about as an example but I'm surprised to hear Wilson has found somewhere else (where's he ended up at?)

Connolly and Everton have a choice now. He spends 6 months in the development squad or goes on loan to a L1 or L2 side. A step back from where he's played his previous first team footy but better than more youth team stuff surely?
I thought Wilson had gone to Luton but apparently not as of yet...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:03 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 am
Alnwick can go. I prefer him to Matthews, for whatever reason he hasn’t been by management. That young keeper from Saturday was class, a real prospect. He should be number two. Emergency loan a third when / if required.

Deffo agree on spending budget on the forward line.
Not being harsh - but as calm as that keeper remained and as well as he played - no way on gods earth should he be considered number two - just no. He needs to grow a bit first.

He was outstanding but its just not fair to expect him to do that more than a couple of times IMHO.
How often do number two keepers play? You can emergency loan if Matthews gets injured. I’m totally guessing but if we have budget for say 6 signings and Alnwick frees up some wage to get a decent striker or whatever I would gamble.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:21 pm

We should stick with the 18 juniors we have and recruit more inexperienced players. Parkinson should be sacked and a combo committee of Lee/Phillips/Spooner/McCann should take over for the rest of the season, with the intention to forge a new spirit and playing camaraderie within the club, knowing we will be going down at the end of the season. The Renaissance starts next year... A proper Renaissance, not a makeshift pile of shit because we can't afford anything else, but a proper makeover and new start! 8)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:35 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:21 pm
We should stick with the 18 juniors we have and recruit more inexperienced players. Parkinson should be sacked and a combo committee of Lee/Phillips/Spooner/McCann should take over for the rest of the season, with the intention to forge a new spirit and playing camaraderie within the club, knowing we will be going down at the end of the season. The Renaissance starts next year... A proper Renaissance, not a makeshift pile of shit because we can't afford anything else, but a proper makeover and new start! 8)
And potentially ruin the development of kids. Not a great idea. Spooner himself said its too early for most of these lads to be playing.

Also who do you think will keep the club alive till next season?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:35 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
And potentially ruin the development of kids. Not a great idea. Spooner himself said its too early for most of these lads to be playing.

Sorry, what? :conf:
Who will keep the club alive? What the fxck has that to do with management of the team? And, if you carefully read what I wrote, you will note I did express the POV that the aim would be to start again next season, i.e. remove all pressure from expectation of results on this season. You never know, the kids might even outperform the expectations their own fxcking coaches have for them!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Who will keep the club alive? What the fxck has that to do with management of the team? And, if you carefully read what I wrote, you will note I did express the POV that the aim would be to start again next season, i.e. remove all pressure from expectation of results on this season. You never know, the kids might even outperform the expectations their own fxcking coaches have for them!
I was asking - given you are talking about next season - who you thought would keep us alive till then - given you seem to think we are doomed.

Secondly the issue is not results - but development of these youngsters. As Spooner says its too early in many of those kids development's to be playing first team football. Forget results we can't just let 17 year olds burn out or get serious injuries - its not the way forward at all. They need nurturing and protecting and selecting at the right times - not just asked to run themselves into the ground before they are fully developed physically.

Additionally statistics will say that as well as these lads played only a handful will eventually make it (and we'll be lucky if a few do) into full time fully fledged professionals even at this level.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:45 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

I was asking - given you are talking about next season - who you thought would keep us alive till then - given you seem to think we are doomed.

Secondly the issue is not results - but development of these youngsters. As Spooner says its too early in many of those kids development's to be playing first team football. Forget results we can't just let 17 year olds burn out or get serious injuries - its not the way forward at all. They need nurturing and protecting and selecting at the right times - not just asked to run themselves into the ground before they are fully developed physically.

Additionally statistics will say that as well as these lads played only a handful will eventually make it (and we'll be lucky if a few do) into full time fully fledged professionals even at this level.
Well I say fxck that. Needs must. If very few eventually make it as you state, where's the fxcking harm? They either get through the season or they don't. Pretty much the same whether they are "nurtured and protected" and still fxcking fail to become "fully fledged professionals".
At least my way they will be known throughout history like the fxcking 500 Spartans were (or whoever the 500 fxckers were).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:05 pm

^^ Whilst typically only a small percentage of the young players might "make it", a lot of that is down to never getting their opportunity.

These kids are unique in that, because of circumstances they have been given a chance, and also given a chance together. They will have learned way more from the last two weeks, than ordinarily they would have in years. And they would've been given a huge boost in belief and confidence. I would suggest it is possible for a much larger percentage of these kids than normal to have careers in the game. Quite exciting for them, and potentially us watching them, if we survive.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

With all due respect and admiration for our current young heroes, Why? Lads of 17 (the youngest) are pretty much approaching the peak of being fit and energetic, are usually fully developed by nature (not counting pumping iron at the gym) and are professional sportsmen. That's what they chose to be, and what are they actually saving themselves for, a transfer? . Injuries happen regardless of all the suits of armour and aren't unique to age levels. Not long back folk were saying if the're fit enough, they're old enough, and the kids themselves are raring to go. Our youngest captain ever wasn't the current lad, but Kev Nolan.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:05 pm
^^ Whilst typically only a small percentage of the young players might "make it", a lot of that is down to never getting their opportunity.

These kids are unique in that, because of circumstances they have been given a chance, and also given a chance together. They will have learned way more from the last two weeks, than ordinarily they would have in years. And they would've been given a huge boost in belief and confidence. I would suggest it is possible for a much larger percentage of these kids than normal to have careers in the game. Quite exciting for them, and potentially us watching them, if we survive.
Which, I believe, is you agreeing with me then? :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

With all due respect and admiration for our current young heroes, Why? Lads of 17 (the youngest) are pretty much approaching the peak of being fit and energetic, are usually fully developed by nature (not counting pumping iron at the gym) and are professional sportsmen. That's what they chose to be, and what are they actually saving themselves for, a transfer? . Injuries happen regardless of all the suits of armour and aren't unique to age levels. Not long back folk were saying if the're fit enough, they're old enough, and the kids themselves are raring to go. Our youngest captain ever wasn't the current lad, but Kev Nolan.
You only had to look at those kids and the players they were up against....it wasn't a fair contest...they played out of their skins to hold their own against fully developed players. But christ you can't ask them to do that week in week out. Even the bloke who has worked with them since the age of 8/9 says that. They do need chances and experience but not like that every week. Its absurd and would do more harm than good to them physically and mentally.

And yes some like Kevin Nolan are big strapping lads at 19 and are ready. But some of the ones in the side Saturday very much aren't.

You've got to rationalise Saturday - expecting them to do that week in week out when some weeks they'll get whacked 5 or 6. And physically won't be able to keep it up. What do you think that'll do for kids? Nothing, at all. Give them chances at right times through the season play the ones more ready and developed now by all means. But lets not be silly and just throw their careers away asking boys to face men for an entire season in this situation.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You too. I might faint. I've never been agreed with in two separate posts by different posters before... It's like a new era has burst forth! 8) (NB except of course Mr Pessimism managed to insert a post between the two like a weird damp squib in an orifice you thought had been already taken...)
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:13 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:05 pm

I don't disagree and they need their chances and nurturing and now they have a superb chance to make it here. But point still stands - madness to ask them to do that week in week out. Its not even a question worth asking.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Re statistics - It’s worth noting that the team on Saturday had a few in from each age group. The centre halves were 21 and 22, Brockbank 20 and White 17.

I think Brown the striker was18. The keeper was the youngest at 17 - so obviously picked as the best prospect amongst the different age groups keepers. Politics and Darcy are both 19 and have already been out on loan I think?

We’ve had Clough, Holding, Threlkeld, to name a few all come out of the academy to various levels recently. It’s not great for the team for them all to be in at once I agree - hopefully we can strengthen with some Experience. Gaz O Neil would be a good addition!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:12 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You only had to look at those kids and the players they were up against....it wasn't a fair contest...they played out of their skins to hold their own against fully developed players. But christ you can't ask them to do that week in week out. Even the bloke who has worked with them since the age of 8/9 says that. They do need chances and experience but not like that every week. Its absurd and would do more harm than good to them physically and mentally.

And yes some like Kevin Nolan are big strapping lads at 19 and are ready. But some of the ones in the side Saturday very much aren't.

You've got to rationalise Saturday - expecting them to do that week in week out when some weeks they'll get whacked 5 or 6. And physically won't be able to keep it up. What do you think that'll do for kids? Nothing, at all. Give them chances at right times through the season play the ones more ready and developed now by all means. But lets not be silly and just throw their careers away asking boys to face men for an entire season in this situation.
If you weren't so absurdly keen to be right and prove points, you might see I'm talking about here and now, not an entire season; you know, only five senior pros of no great repute and they're on strike! Stop living in yesterday world and realise our options are less than a certain overweight lady's chances of winning Olympic gold at ice dancing. When the miracle occurs I might even agree with you, but it ain't in sight yet....Meanwhile, down at the Youth Club...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?