The next manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35566
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: The next manager

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:04 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:23 pm
Nigel Pearson has always struck me as being little other than a school bully. Oh for the second coming of a Bruce Rioch right now.
Old school disciplinarian. Martin O'Neill?
I knowwwwww.

I'd give it Nolan though if he wants it. Get Peter Reid or someone like in as assistant.
More an incredible motivator than simply a disciplinarian. A guy who made a third division side believe that they could win a game at the revered home of the then FA Cup holders. Nolan with Reid alongside does sound appealing, just so long as Reid could accept being second in command to a far less experienced chap.
May the bridges I burn light your way

nicholaldo
Promising
Promising
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:08 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:47 pm
Nixon is saying Sharon wants Nigel Pearson.

"I wanna moonwalk, son, but life's a shithouse"...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25565
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:23 pm
Nigel Pearson has always struck me as being little other than a school bully. Oh for the second coming of a Bruce Rioch right now.
Old school disciplinarian. Martin O'Neill?
I knowwwwww.

I'd give it Nolan though if he wants it. Get Peter Reid or someone like in as assistant.
If talk of Nolan being on the pop is true then not sure monkey man is the right mentor...

nicholaldo
Promising
Promising
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:04 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:23 pm
Nigel Pearson has always struck me as being little other than a school bully. Oh for the second coming of a Bruce Rioch right now.
Old school disciplinarian. Martin O'Neill?
I knowwwwww.

I'd give it Nolan though if he wants it. Get Peter Reid or someone like in as assistant.
More an incredible motivator than simply a disciplinarian. A guy who made a third division side believe that they could win a game at the revered home of the then FA Cup holders. Nolan with Reid alongside does sound appealing, just so long as Reid could accept being second in command to a far less experienced chap.

He was happy enough to temporarily help out Jimmy Phillips after Lennon was shown the door, so I think he probably could. And wasn't a Nolan and Reid partnership Deano's idea of a dream team before Anderson overruled?

I have to be honest, though, it's a no from me.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38225
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: The next manager

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:14 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:08 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:47 pm
Nixon is saying Sharon wants Nigel Pearson.

"I wanna moonwalk, son, but life's a shithouse"...
I hope that doesn't automatically rule out the rest. Still Kev Nolan for me.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6997
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: The next manager

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:40 pm

I'd be delighted with Pearson but it's been a while since he was down at this level? Must admit I'm leaning more towards Hill than Nolan now though.

Tony Pulis anyone? 《ducks》
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8285
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: The next manager

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Pulis would be best places to get us up (next season). Not sure it’s the right move for us now though.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1919
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: On a shelf

Re: The next manager

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:54 pm

Pulis plays worse football than Parkinson. Wouldn't go down well IMO

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16867
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: The next manager

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm
Throwing out again my left field Dean Holden shout. Mainly because Bristol City have done well, developed players, and Lee Johnson is clearly an idiot so someone must know what they're doing.
Deano’s a no. Happy where he is. Can’t blame him.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 3729
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 pm

Hill and Nolan have both had/having interviews.

So the story goes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25565
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:01 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 pm
Hill and Nolan have both had/having interviews.

So the story goes.
Had them yesterday in London.

Mar
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Bolton

Re: The next manager

Post by Mar » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:25 pm

Would have to be Nolan for me. Hopefully end up being the right call and not damaging those good memories we have of him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25565
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:28 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:25 pm
Would have to be Nolan for me. Hopefully end up being the right call and not damaging those good memories we have of him.
Interviewing more next week. I have a hunch they had an idea coming in and it might be a bit left field. We will see.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3523
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by malcd1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:01 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 pm
Hill and Nolan have both had/having interviews.

So the story goes.
Had them yesterday in London.

Why don't you quote your source when you make these statements as though you are 'in the know'? Why not say, according to some random person on Twitter or just read on Lion of Vienna that they were both interviewed in London yesterday?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25565
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:59 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:01 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:48 pm
Hill and Nolan have both had/having interviews.

So the story goes.
Had them yesterday in London.

Why don't you quote your source when you make these statements as though you are 'in the know'? Why not say, according to some random person on Twitter or just read on Lion of Vienna that they were both interviewed in London yesterday?
I’m not in the know about who they will appoint. I was about the takeover to an extent.

Also it was reported by sky sports yesterday...

martinbwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by martinbwfc » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:49 pm

Announcement tonight or tomorrow, it's Hill and Flitcroft.

chester white
Promising
Promising
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: Rochdale

Re: The next manager

Post by chester white » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:30 am
chester white wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:14 am
I know a lot of Dale fans and have seen a lot of games whilst Dale were under Hill. When he was initially linked with us, maybe after Freedman left, I was against it. He basically ran Rochdale, and I thought the difference in size and fan base would be too much for him. It wasn’t unusual for Hill to have a pop at the Dale fans in the press, and that might just be a couple of moaning old timers sat behind him in the crowd, so imagine him with 15,000 (arf!) on his back. I believe he struggled with that in his brief spell at Barnsley as well and a lot of Rochdale fans agreed.

However given the situation we’re in now (might be pessimistic but I’ve accepted we’ll be in League Two next year) and with his track record of getting teams out of that league, I’ve come around to the idea and whilst there are other options too, it would definitely be one I’d consider.
Interesting, cheers Chester (I like to imagine that's your real name :D). What did the Dale fans (and for that matter you) think of his style of football?
Football was good, he’s got an eye for a striker and develops youth. He can come across a bit arrogant toward his own fans sometimes, has a habit of playing strikers as full backs (Henrik anyone?) and is rumoured to be a Bolton Red! :evil:

I’m torn really, I think he’d possibly be ideal for this situatio we find ourselves in, but (possibly arrogantly) wonder if we’re too big a club for him and how he would handle it.
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

chester white
Promising
Promising
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:23 pm
Location: Rochdale

Re: The next manager

Post by chester white » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:03 pm

I love Kevin Nolan, but didn’t he fail to take Notts County up with a massive budget in league 2?
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: The next manager

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:06 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:40 pm
I'd be delighted with Pearson but it's been a while since he was down at this level? Must admit I'm leaning more towards Hill than Nolan now though.

Tony Pulis anyone? 《ducks》
In League One/Two, absolutely. I've Stoke mates who still adore him.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3523
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: The next manager

Post by malcd1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:10 pm

Marc Iles Tweeting we are due to appoint the new manager much sooner that expected (late next week was mooted earlier).

A Nixon Tweeting Michael James choosing and want an experienced unemployed manager.

All pointing to Keith Hill if true. We need someone and we need him now.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests