Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Jugs » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:27 pm

Little would have been class at League One level.

Piss off, Parky.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:46 pm

At this stage I'd be happy for any of them to stay (unless Amos is still somehow contracted). Anybody who knows how to get into the training ground would be nice at this point. We needed a clear out. We've got a clear out.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:53 am

Thats football - we all have our own opinions
My opinion of Magennis is slightly lower than yours
I know what I like in a striker and Magennis doesn't have it
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:55 am

Little's 'exit interview' with Marc Iles is well worth your time. It's one of the most honest I've read.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... rivalries/

He's kept his counsel while at Bolton, which is right, but now he's very honest about a lot of things - Ken's club management, (slightly more obliquely) Parky's team management, his own financial fears and those of his colleagues.

Elsewhere, Iles confirms Charlton's interest in Oz and says they might also fancy Remi Matthews, who's also linked with Hull and Ipswich.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ers-stars/

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:19 am

Maybe we could get special dispensation to play all our games as five a side fixtures.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:28 am

Obviously it's difficult to rebuild from such a small squad, especially when under embargo and not starting until mid or (realistically) late June.

The big pity is if the same delay means we lose talented youngsters who could get a fast-track first-team opportunity. Given the lack of established professionals, young players like Brockbank would be reasonably hoping for a decent run in the team. But at the moment there's nobody there to reassure them; it wouldn't surprise me if Parky, who blooded a few towards the end of the season, is diligently telling them to wait and see, whether it's him or someone else in charge. In a way you couldn't blame them for going somewhere more certain - or in Luca's case, much bigger, like Celtic - but I can't help think many will move sideways then be sidelined.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:39 am

I saw the Little interview. Best one I’ve read from Iles for a while - seems like a footballer with a brain, all the more frustrating we have lost him.

I think Oztumer will go - why wouldn’t he ? Charlton is a much more enticing prospect than currently on offer here. Will be a disgrace what happened to him here and hopefully a new manager can work out how to use players with an ounce of creativity.

Matthews I think might stay...he’s seemingly enjoyed it here and I certainly recall him moving up, got involved with the stuff off the pitch and stands a good chance of being number one...albeit I would pick Alnwick on the basis of fewer cock ups!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Oz is a Londoner, Matthews an East Anglian. Location can mean a lot, especially if they have family who are yet to uproot. And it can work the other way too: for instance, we might be well-placed for Frank Fielding if he wants to move back round here.

Iles says Charlton have other priorities so hopefully we can get a new owner, new manager and reinspire Oz before the Addicks (who are themselves in ownership flux) reel him in.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:57 pm

Wasn't there mention when Doige went back that Matthews' missus had moved job to come up here. Obviously football is a somewhat peripatetic profession, but that's probably a factor (more so down the leagues when the partner's wage is more of a factor).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

m_taylor2703
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by m_taylor2703 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:57 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:57 pm
Wasn't there mention when Doige went back that Matthews' missus had moved job to come up here. Obviously football is a somewhat peripatetic profession, but that's probably a factor (more so down the leagues when the partner's wage is more of a factor).
I have family that live near Matthews and have heard that he loves it in Bolton but his wife is missing home. Would love for him to stay.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:07 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:59 pm
nelson66 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:58 pm
I wouldn't shed many tears if Maggennis left
Looks like we're having a clear out..... might as well do a proper one
Respectfully, and replace him with who in League One nelson? He's probably good enough for there at least till we find a footing. It's going to be a long slow process of getting back and Hazard's leaving Chelsea for brighter lights where they can afford to pay the electric bills.The Magennis role is never the easiest and he's had little support up front from anybody. I reckon if he'll stay, keep him for now and give him that support..
A +1 from me Tango.

I'd be chuffed (& not a little surprised) if Josh is still with us next season

I see Magennis scored Norn Iron's winner in Estonia this afternoon.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:48 pm

ahhh yes - both great footballing nations
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:12 pm

As he’s been mentioned, here’s some Magennis quotes. Will he be here?
I have one year left on my contract and the club is currently in administration so unless somebody comes in and buys me, or unless the club goes bust and I'm able to walk away from my contract as a free agent, I'm at the club until I'm told otherwise.

With us being in administration, obviously we have the points deduction already for next season but the administrators are there to save money and make the debt as small as possible.

So with me, there's a number of things that could happen - they could ask to me to take wage cut, they could ask me to walk away on a free (transfer) or wait until a new buyer comes in and see what happens.
More quotes here - including more personal stuff on last season’s struggle:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... land-duty/

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:14 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:12 pm
As he’s been mentioned, here’s some Magennis quotes. Will he be here?
I have one year left on my contract and the club is currently in administration so unless somebody comes in and buys me, or unless the club goes bust and I'm able to walk away from my contract as a free agent, I'm at the club until I'm told otherwise.

With us being in administration, obviously we have the points deduction already for next season but the administrators are there to save money and make the debt as small as possible.

So with me, there's a number of things that could happen - they could ask to me to take wage cut, they could ask me to walk away on a free (transfer) or wait until a new buyer comes in and see what happens.
More quotes here - including more personal stuff on last season’s struggle:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... land-duty/

I saw that and was puzzled: if he's not been paid for three months, is his contract not void? Ie, he could walk away at any time. I get that he might have few alternatives, so will remain with us, but leaving of his own volition is an option, non?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:20 am

^ I thought the same. It's how Olkowski left as he still had a year left on his contract. Certainly hope we can hang onto Josh though
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:40 am

Like every senior player he's legally entitled to up and leave, although I guess that window might be closing if (if? when?) new owners come in and pay up the arrears.

This sounds like a player somewhat hiding behind an agent, mentally preparing the ground for a move. He's certainly not unconditionally committing himself, and to some extent why should he? Then again, unlike Pav and Sameobi, he hasn't pressed the button yet so either he or his agent can't be hugely confident that the grass is greener...

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:34 am

According to Football Insider (Who?), Huddersfield Town, Wigan Athletic and Charlton Athletic have set their sights on signing Bolton Wanderers goalkeeper Ben Alnwick. So both Matthews and Alnwick could be off this summer. On frees?

https://www.footballinsider247.com/excl ... e-on-free/
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:40 am

malcd1 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:34 am
According to Football Insider (Who?), Huddersfield Town, Wigan Athletic and Charlton Athletic have set their sights on signing Bolton Wanderers goalkeeper Ben Alnwick. So both Matthews and Alnwick could be off this summer. On frees?

https://www.footballinsider247.com/excl ... e-on-free/
I bet Peterborough, whom he left to join us because we're closer to his family in Geordieland, would be delighted if he moved to Charlton.

AFAIK any of our players could cancel their contracts and walk on a free because they still haven't been paid. That window is hopefully closing soon. There might (or might not) be some penalty in loss of – don't laugh - loyalty bonuses and end-of-season add-ons to top up the basic, but they'd have to make an actuarial decision on whether it was worth it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Or get someone else to pay it?

Anyway out of all the interviews Marc Iles has released this summer Alnwicks was by far the most positive - for me he will be here and start as number one. He’s currently a better keeper than the other lad.

Can see Wheater signing as well.

Manager is the key...stick or twist? I wonder how many people won’t renew solely on the basis PP is in charge.

kfaille
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kfaille » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi all! I'm Kenneth, from Santiago, Chile. Iv'e been following and supporting Bolton since I was 12 y/o. This season i've been a bit disconnected from the team because of work and family issues. I'd like to start looking into more info from the "building-up" for next season but its hard to find it for me. How does the team look like for next season? (player-wise) and do we have any managerial proposals or something around that?

Have a great day

Cheers

Kenneth.
BWFC Fan since 2002, from Santiago, Chile.