Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

beer_swiller
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by beer_swiller » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:49 pm

Seems everyone is happy with these signings, and so they should.
Give a few if not all a game V Bradford tomorrow and with the spare weekend maybe arrange a friendly behind closed doors for Saturday. Match practice is whats required. Well done Mr Hill.
Denn

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:47 pm
Jugs wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:04 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:01 pm
Josh Emannuel??
Iles says 'don't think anyone saw that coming!'

I didn't as I've never heard of him!
:D The only one I've heard of is Will Buckley

yup - same here!! :D

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:58 pm

Jugs wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:55 pm
Not to dwell but I do think it's a shame Oz couldn't hang on.
Yep, not worth the effort dwelling on shithouses who would rather cancel their contract than play (or at least make money through a transfer) for this great club.

Won’t wish him ill but if it goes tits up for him I’ll certainly have a chuckle.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Quite the day. Couldn’t post much as I was starting work at a new place (freelance) but boy did I have to keep checking. Add in Hobbs and that’s 10 outfielders added, one for each position in a 4-4-2: Bunney-Wright-Hobbs-Emmanuel, Buckley-Crawford-Bridcutt-Verlinden, O’Grady-Murphy. Obviously some are better than others and it’ll be a miracle if they all work, but we’ve given ourselves a chance - and the short-term nature of the contracts gives us chance to reassess in January. Well done to Hill & Flicker for some serious contacts-book pounding.

And a special note for the BWFC Twitter feed, who had some big fun today. Bet it was a great day in the office.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Another winger & striker for me (think O'Grady will be the new Aaron Wilbraham). Think King-Harmes, Politic, Brockbank, Edwards & Hall are all ready for the step up too. Whether that be as impact subs I think Hill will work wonder with 'old' & new additions
Pfffft.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:18 pm
Quite the day. Couldn’t post much as I was starting work at a new place (freelance) but boy did I have to keep checking. Add in Hobbs and that’s 10 outfielders added, one for each position in a 4-4-2: Bunney-Wright-Hobbs-Emmanuel, Buckley-Crawford-Bridcutt-Verlinden, O’Grady-Murphy. Obviously some are better than others and it’ll be a miracle if they all work, but we’ve given ourselves a chance - and the short-term nature of the contracts gives us chance to reassess in January. Well done to Hill & Flicker for some serious contacts-book pounding.

And a special note for the BWFC Twitter feed, who had some big fun today. Bet it was a great day in the office.
It just feels fecking great to be a football club again. FV in a few days have done so much.

Who knows how we will go on the pitch but we’ve got players to watch, new manager and whether this season or not, I’m completely confident that we’re Bolton Wanderers and we’re on our way back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:43 pm

I still worry about the points deduction but yes, we are a team and a club and we have been unified. It may not last but I’ll enjoy it while it does.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:49 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:36 pm
Another winger & striker for me (think O'Grady will be the new Aaron Wilbraham). Think King-Harmes, Politic, Brockbank, Edwards & Hall are all ready for the step up too. Whether that be as impact subs I think Hill will work wonder with 'old' & new additions
Do we know when Hall is due back from his injury?

Politic is definitely going to be a part of the team. He looked streets ahead of anybody on the pitch on Saturday. That's including Murphy and Lowe.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:51 pm

Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:43 pm
I still worry about the points deduction but yes, we are a team and a club and we have been unified. It may not last but I’ll enjoy it while it does.
It’s highly unlikely we can stay up. But we’ve got some grown ups to watch. And a few signings that have genuinely raised eye brows. If you’d said a week ago we’d be signing Liam Bridcutt and Daryl Murphy I’d have laughed. Proper laughed.

Murphy is 36 but still...a signing we’d have loved as a championship side last season.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:07 pm

I remember in October 2017 and after 11 games we had 2 points and looked completely out of our depth. Then Ameobi and Vela came back from injury, we had just signed Karl Henry, and in our next home game we beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 and for the first time looked remotely competitive. That ended in the memorable 3-2 final day miracle against Forest.

Lets see if we can top that....

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:09 pm

If we've got any designs on staying up, Rotherham is pretty much must-win

I'd be happy to still be in the mix come January. If we're doomed by then, it just makes it a drag of a season

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:46 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:07 pm
I remember in October 2017 and after 11 games we had 2 points and looked completely out of our depth. Then Ameobi and Vela came back from injury, we had just signed Karl Henry, and in our next home game we beat Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 and for the first time looked remotely competitive. That ended in the memorable 3-2 final day miracle against Forest.

I see it as requiring 68 points from the remaining games if we use last season as a benchmark.

4th bottom finished on 50 points last season. 3 point deduction for the 2 games missed. gives us a target of 51 to make sure.

Massive ask but not impossible. What I fear is this potential point deduction is hanging over us like a bad smell and the EFL could use it as a final bullet to push us down into League 2.

1.7 ppg average required.

2.25 ppg gets into the playoffs.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:18 pm

Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:18 pm

I bet there haven't been many of those in the last few years... kudos to the media dept.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:37 pm

The maths are simple. We need to win four more games than three other teams and equal them otherwise. Come on. We can do this!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:37 pm
The maths are simple. We need to win three more games than three other teams and equal them otherwise. Come on. We can do this!
We are 15 short of safety. So that’s 5 plus more wins. Plus however many to equal out any further points deductions.

But why the hell not? It’s September. Let’s have a go.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:40 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:46 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:07 pm

I see it as requiring 68 points from the remaining games if we use last season as a benchmark.

4th bottom finished on 50 points last season. 3 point deduction for the 2 games missed. gives us a target of 51 to make sure.

Massive ask but not impossible. What I fear is this potential point deduction is hanging over us like a bad smell and the EFL could use it as a final bullet to push us down into League 2.

1.7 ppg average required.

2.25 ppg gets into the playoffs.
Don't think we'll need that many. We only need to finish 4th bottom, in a 44 game season. Average over last 3 years for 3rd bottom has been 46. 44 over 44 games. If we lose another six we need 61 from 39. 1.56. V tough, but doable. Goal difference will be interesting. Obviously a bad start but given the gap to make up you'd expect that to narrow.

Need to start picking up points v quickly though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Mrs G having a proper rant about twitter this evening. Apparently last week it was all "Thank God Bolton have survived". This week those same opposition fans are incandescent that their side isn't going to get to hammer our kids as well. It's not fair apparently :roll:

Feck em
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:59 pm
Mrs G having a proper rant about twitter this evening. Apparently last week it was all "Thank God Bolton have survived". This week those same opposition fans are incandescent that their side isn't going to get to hammer our kids as well. It's not fair apparently :roll:

Feck em
Isn't that the point of a transfer window - to strengthen a squad?

The only people that can have a legitimate grievance about it are Donny fans imo.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:47 pm

You have to laugh (ironically, of course). The English Football League. We get battered from pillar to post as a club, lose our players, get fined, put in admin, face a future that makes angels weep, play five or so games getting totally hammered, with kids just out of the creche ( who play like giants) and, by the grace of God,survive and bounce back to fight on.....and the very sporting foundation who are supposed to be our mentors and guardian angels can do nothing better than punish us with a 12? point kick in the cobblers after doing a Room 101 on our neighbouring club. "Sporting" did I say?

What a boad of lollocks..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:53 pm

Seems like Joe Dodoo was released by Rangers before the transfer window closed (https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/jo ... s-rangers/). Free to sign for another team whenever he likes.

Do we have three places left in the squad? Perhaps Dodoo will be signing soon.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.