Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35827
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Here's a summat. This transfer embargo, I was chatting with Our Kid about it last night. I thought that we were still under it because it was imposed on us by the EFL for a specific period of time (this season for instance), however, he claims that we're still under it because all the creditors haven't been paid yet.
Does anyone know which of us is nearer to the mark?
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17192
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Here's a summat. This transfer embargo, I was chatting with Our Kid about it last night. I thought that we were still under it because it was imposed on us by the EFL for a specific period of time (this season for instance), however, he claims that we're still under it because all the creditors haven't been paid yet.
Does anyone know which of us is nearer to the mark?
I don't know, but I believe that whatever the circumstances, a club is under embargo until the EFL says it isn't. Now, given the EFL (1) can't find their arse with a map and a torch, (2) appear to hate us and (3) know damn well that the rest of the EFL hate them for not f**king us hard enough, I wouldn't go expecting any end to the embargo any time soon, even if we pay up in full and send flowers to everyone's mother.

Freebies, kids and rejects. That's where we're at all this season and probably all next. Happy new year.

nicholaldo
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:17 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:05 pm
He might genuinely be thought of as an improvement, but on the face of it, I'd probably take him replacing Chicksen as confirmation we've accepted relegation and are now engaging on a cost-cutting / money saving excercise. I wouldn't have a problem with that so long as we're (relatively) competitive in the meantime.
The cost-cutting discussion is fascinating. Do we suspect that Chicksen was maxing out the £2kpw ceiling imposed by the EFL?

Is it so low? I thought it might've been higher than that.

I don't intend for it to be a conspiracy theory or even a criticism, just that it might be a sign we've decided to prudently manage our resources given our attempt to avoid relegation is increasingly looking like a lost cause.

nicholaldo
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Here's a summat. This transfer embargo, I was chatting with Our Kid about it last night. I thought that we were still under it because it was imposed on us by the EFL for a specific period of time (this season for instance), however, he claims that we're still under it because all the creditors haven't been paid yet.
Does anyone know which of us is nearer to the mark?

I think Emmma Beauguard recently confirmed that it's in place for two years, which suggests it's an automatic penalty for entering administration.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35827
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:16 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:08 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Here's a summat. This transfer embargo, I was chatting with Our Kid about it last night. I thought that we were still under it because it was imposed on us by the EFL for a specific period of time (this season for instance), however, he claims that we're still under it because all the creditors haven't been paid yet.
Does anyone know which of us is nearer to the mark?

I think Emmma Beauguard recently confirmed that it's in place for two years, which suggests it's an automatic penalty for entering administration.
Ahhh, reet. Cheers, Fella.
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:08 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Here's a summat. This transfer embargo, I was chatting with Our Kid about it last night. I thought that we were still under it because it was imposed on us by the EFL for a specific period of time (this season for instance), however, he claims that we're still under it because all the creditors haven't been paid yet.
Does anyone know which of us is nearer to the mark?

I think Emmma Beauguard recently confirmed that it's in place for two years, which suggests it's an automatic penalty for entering administration.
2 years starting from when FV took over?

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17192
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:49 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:07 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:17 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:05 pm
He might genuinely be thought of as an improvement, but on the face of it, I'd probably take him replacing Chicksen as confirmation we've accepted relegation and are now engaging on a cost-cutting / money saving excercise. I wouldn't have a problem with that so long as we're (relatively) competitive in the meantime.
The cost-cutting discussion is fascinating. Do we suspect that Chicksen was maxing out the £2kpw ceiling imposed by the EFL?
Is it so low? I thought it might've been higher than that.
It's the figure I've had in mind all along, although annoyingly I can't remember whence it came...

(In the previous embargo the ceiling was £4,500 for new signings, and let's face it, nearly everyone's a new signing)
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:07 pm
I don't intend for it to be a conspiracy theory or even a criticism, just that it might be a sign we've decided to prudently manage our resources given our attempt to avoid relegation is increasingly looking like a lost cause.
No, I'm not accusing you of hysteria. And as you say it would make a sort of sense (especially if above that wage ceiling).

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2028
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Madine has signed for Blackpool.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8511
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:21 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:49 pm
Madine has signed for Blackpool.
Decent signing for them.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:53 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:46 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 pm
Here's a summat. This transfer embargo, I was chatting with Our Kid about it last night. I thought that we were still under it because it was imposed on us by the EFL for a specific period of time (this season for instance), however, he claims that we're still under it because all the creditors haven't been paid yet.
Does anyone know which of us is nearer to the mark?
I don't know, but I believe that whatever the circumstances, a club is under embargo until the EFL says it isn't. Now, given the EFL (1) can't find their arse with a map and a torch, (2) appear to hate us and (3) know damn well that the rest of the EFL hate them for not f**king us hard enough, I wouldn't go expecting any end to the embargo any time soon, even if we pay up in full and send flowers to everyone's mother.

Freebies, kids and rejects. That's where we're at all this season and probably all next. Happy new year.
Iirc the two year embargo we incurred last time, from 2016-2018 was as a result of not filing accounts and other financial statements, due to the turmoil in the 2015/16 season. Not sure if that is the stated reason this time, but I am sure it applies. I am also sure there are probably a number of other reasons why we might be under an embargo given the non-running of the club probably since summer 2018.

In other news, we appear close to signing a left back:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ming-loan/

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8160
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:17 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:05 pm
He might genuinely be thought of as an improvement, but on the face of it, I'd probably take him replacing Chicksen as confirmation we've accepted relegation and are now engaging on a cost-cutting / money saving excercise. I wouldn't have a problem with that so long as we're (relatively) competitive in the meantime.
The cost-cutting discussion is fascinating. Do we suspect that Chicksen was maxing out the £2kpw ceiling imposed by the EFL?
Doubt it re chicksen's wage, but could we be getting Fleming for free if he's guaranteed games? Don't know if that happens or not.
...

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1948
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: On a shelf

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Jugs » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:23 pm

Such a shame things are as they are. I'd have taken Madine back in a heartbeat, as mad as that might sound to some.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7164
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:43 am

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ot-bitter/

Not money or owt. Just the club wanted to go a different way. A back 4 with no left back. Hmmm
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Enoch » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:04 am

Surely we have two left backs at the moment.

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8511
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:11 am

Well, we’ve signed one now.
Shame he wasn’t here before Chicksen left. Tossed away goal difference at least on Tuesday when we snatched another embarrassing hammering from the jaws of defeat.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25858
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:16 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:11 am
Well, we’ve signed one now.
Shame he wasn’t here before Chicksen left. Tossed away goal difference at least on Tuesday when we snatched another embarrassing hammering from the jaws of defeat.
The signing makes little sense - we've signed a 20 year old who will go back in the summer. Chicksen could well have been one to include in plans for next season.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17192
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:58 pm

I like Chicksen - even more so after that interview - but it does make sense to try to trade up, even if the manner and timing was badly handled.

I suspect Hill wants to play with full-backs who attack: like Josh Emmanuel on the other side, and like Joe Bunney (a converted forward) apparently is on the left. This doesn't just give the option of starting with a back three and wingbacks, it allows you to push on and create overloads when you gave the ball. Chicksen, a bit like Andy Taylor before him, seemed to me far more comfortable in his own half than the oppo's. IIRC, when we went wing-backs Hill preferred Josh Earl - a 6ft 4in centre-back - on that side. Now, that might be Yet More Hill Nonsense but there does seem to me the semblance of a plan there.

As for Brandon Fleming leaving in the summer - yeah, that's a shame. But again we come back to the difficult question: do we hire players for the next six months or concentrate on Division Four players? Taken to its extremes, either is wrong and balance is all.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17192
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:22 pm

Here's a thing. Hill on contract lengths.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... contracts/
The window is open to every single one of our players now because most of them have got six months left on their contract. That isn’t the fault of the new owners because they have come in with an existing model in place. It has to change. We have to have the right number of players on the right money for the right amount of time.

It’s part of the process. As a manager you shouldn’t be holding players back because their contract is running down. As long as those players are performing well for the football club they should get individual rewards. We need to give them a longer-term home so that they can become assets. That is how you build a culture. It’s an environment where players can leave but aren’t pushing to do so. That’s how you create the layering system. It’s not hard to do, but it does need a long-term strategy on recruitment and retaining.

You should only be having four players minimum leaving the club because they are in the final months of their deal, not 12, 14, 16. But we’re in an unprecedented position at this moment in time and it will take time to sort.
Quite aside from the fact he almost certainly means "four players maximum" rather than "minimum", this gives us the chance for an idle bit of Shag Marry Kill.

Out of the following BWFC players who are out of contract in the summer, which four would you most want to get rid of - and which four would you most want to keep?

Remi Matthews
Josh Emmanuel
Jack Hobbs
Yoan Zouma
Joe Bunney
Jason Lowe
Luke Murphy
James Weir
Ali Crawford
Ronan Darcy
Dennis Politic
Joe Dodoo
Chris O'Grady
Daryl Murphy
Connor Hall

Four priorities to keep: Zouma, Darcy, Crawford, Politic
Four to give their cards: Hobbs, Weir, Hall, O'Grady

It's harder than you think... I feel for Hall but I don't think he's gonna make it, and O'Grady has done nowt wrong but we need to rejuvenate the front line. As for the keepers, mainly resale value if they develop - obviously it seems daft to dump Daryl but I'm assuming he won't fancy Div Four...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7164
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:13 pm

I'd like to keep Lowe and Dodoo too, but whether either will fancy Div 4...
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25858
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:22 pm
Here's a thing. Hill on contract lengths.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... contracts/
The window is open to every single one of our players now because most of them have got six months left on their contract. That isn’t the fault of the new owners because they have come in with an existing model in place. It has to change. We have to have the right number of players on the right money for the right amount of time.

It’s part of the process. As a manager you shouldn’t be holding players back because their contract is running down. As long as those players are performing well for the football club they should get individual rewards. We need to give them a longer-term home so that they can become assets. That is how you build a culture. It’s an environment where players can leave but aren’t pushing to do so. That’s how you create the layering system. It’s not hard to do, but it does need a long-term strategy on recruitment and retaining.

You should only be having four players minimum leaving the club because they are in the final months of their deal, not 12, 14, 16. But we’re in an unprecedented position at this moment in time and it will take time to sort.
Quite aside from the fact he almost certainly means "four players maximum" rather than "minimum", this gives us the chance for an idle bit of Shag Marry Kill.

Out of the following BWFC players who are out of contract in the summer, which four would you most want to get rid of - and which four would you most want to keep?

Remi Matthews - keep
Josh Emmanuel - keep
Jack Hobbs - bye bye
Yoan Zouma - buh bye
Joe Bunney - ?
Jason Lowe - keep
Luke Murphy - bye
James Weir - bye
Ali Crawford - keep if he recovers
Ronan Darcy - keep
Dennis Politic - ? not sure
Joe Dodoo - keep
Chris O'Grady - bye
Daryl Murphy - keep if we can - probably can't/
Connor Hall - buh bye

Four priorities to keep: Zouma, Darcy, Crawford, Politic
Four to give their cards: Hobbs, Weir, Hall, O'Grady

It's harder than you think... I feel for Hall but I don't think he's gonna make it, and O'Grady has done nowt wrong but we need to rejuvenate the front line. As for the keepers, mainly resale value if they develop - obviously it seems daft to dump Daryl but I'm assuming he won't fancy Div Four...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests