Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:58 pm
I don't get this. I think Chicksen's performed more than adequately, in my opinion. I'm guessing that Hill's plans involve wing-backs rather than full-backs and I get that. However, I think that Chicksen's performed well when asked to do either and I'm not sure that we should be kicking a player who offers that versatility out of the club.
Agreed Bruce. I thought the same with Earle. A bloke who could play two positions and seemingly was keen to stay. Keith says he knows his onions, lets hope he knows his left backs as well.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:46 pm

Be reet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 am
Apparently Chicksen has said his goodbyes to the players, so we now have no fit left backs.
I don't get this. I think Chicksen's performed more than adequately, in my opinion. I'm guessing that Hill's plans involve wing-backs rather than full-backs and I get that. However, I think that Chicksen's performed well when asked to do either and I'm not sure that we should be kicking a player who offers that versatility out of the club.
It sounds like the "develop our young players and bring in younger players" klaxon has been sounded and Chicksen is just an unfortunate casualty. This season has been written off and sounds like we want a young and vibrant team for next year.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Apparently Chicksen has said his goodbyes to the players, so we now have no fit left backs.
It sounds like the "develop our young players and bring in younger players" klaxon has been sounded and Chicksen is just an unfortunate casualty. This season has been written off and sounds like we want a young and vibrant team for next year.
Chicksen's only 28, and as we learned earlier in the season we can't just play with 11 kids. I honestly think that this is a poor decision. Of course, I hope to be proved wrong.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:40 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Chicksen's only 28, and as we learned earlier in the season we can't just play with 11 kids. I honestly think that this is a poor decision. Of course, I hope to be proved wrong.
Depends what the decision is based on. If its one of moving to a very long term plan and change of culture then I sort of get it. To an extent. In the here and now and this season it looks very odd. The problem for me is you need to marry up the shorter term and deliver the long term plan at the same time. You can't just artificially say "we're looking to develop younger players" if you end up in non league. But that's what looks like the owners want. A shift away from short term fixes and expensive short term contracts to a long term sustainable model. We'll see.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Depends what the decision is based on. If its one of moving to a very long term plan and change of culture then I sort of get it. To an extent. In the here and now and this season it looks very odd. The problem for me is you need to marry up the shorter term and deliver the long term plan at the same time. You can't just artificially say "we're looking to develop younger players" if you end up in non league. But that's what looks like the owners want. A shift away from short term fixes and expensive short term contracts to a long term sustainable model. We'll see.
I couldn't be more on board with that, but the fact we now have no left backs very much does suggest they've given up the ghost this season.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:23 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
I couldn't be more on board with that, but the fact we now have no left backs very much does suggest they've given up the ghost this season.
To be fair there was little point in hanging on to the ghost this season, it's just like a long pre season for next time.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 pm

Reports in Sunderland linking Parky with Bridcutt (and Zach Clough)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 pm
Us wanting to bring Bridcutt back definitely doesn't fit with the 'build for the future' model.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:45 pm

Really? Parky proved quite amply that he didn't have a bloody clue how to play Zach Clough. :?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:45 pm
Really? Parky proved quite amply that he didn't have a bloody clue how to play Zach Clough. :?
In league one under Parky for half a season he played from the left and scored 9 goals in 20 odd games and did enough to earn his multi million pound move to Forest.

So I'm not sure that really is true. He struggled coming back on loan but then he sat on Rochdale's bench on loan too under our current manager.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:55 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
In league one under Parky for half a season he played from the left and scored 9 goals in 20 odd games and did enough to earn his multi million pound move to Forest.

So I'm not sure that really is true. He struggled coming back on loan but then he sat on Rochdale's bench on loan too under our current manager.
So how come in his loan spell, Parkinson had him playing with the youth team?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:55 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

So how come in his loan spell, Parkinson had him playing with the youth team?
Perhaps for the same reason Hill didn’t play him either at Rochdale? One assumes Parky wanted him back but got a player not in form.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:14 am

Strikes me that Clough is a good player to have when you’ve got plenty of the ball in a League One promotion drive. When you’re in a desperate bid to avoid relegation from a Championship in which just about every team is better than you, maybe less so. (No idea what happened at Rochdale.)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:05 pm

According to Football Insider (sic) Hull City might lend us their 20-y-o left-back Brandon Fleming.

He's been at Hull sicne he was nine and was given a three-year contract in Feb 2017, extending for a year in November 2018 (therefore he's in contract until summer 2021). Made his pro debut in Oct 2017 and over the last season-and-half he's made 13 appearances in all comps for them, but since a 3-0 loss at Huddersfield on 5 Oct 2019 ended his three-match run in the side, he's only appeared in their FA Cup win at Rotherham.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:39 pm

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:05 pm
According to Football Insider (sic) Hull City might lend us their 20-y-o left-back Brandon Fleming.

He's been at Hull sicne he was nine and was given a three-year contract in Feb 2017, extending for a year in November 2018 (therefore he's in contract until summer 2021). Made his pro debut in Oct 2017 and over the last season-and-half he's made 13 appearances in all comps for them, but since a 3-0 loss at Huddersfield on 5 Oct 2019 ended his three-match run in the side, he's only appeared in their FA Cup win at Rotherham.
So a youngster we are unlikely to be able to keep? I'd have again thought Chicksen and his experience would be a better bet. So must be down to money - or Hill making a cock up.....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:39 pm

So a youngster we are unlikely to be able to keep? I'd have again thought Chicksen and his experience would be a better bet. So must be down to money - or Hill making a cock up.....
I'm expecting him to be better than Chicksen. After all, that's what we were told.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:05 pm

He might genuinely be thought of as an improvement, but on the face of it, I'd probably take him replacing Chicksen as confirmation we've accepted relegation and are now engaging on a cost-cutting / money saving excercise. I wouldn't have a problem with that so long as we're (relatively) competitive in the meantime.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:17 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:05 pm
He might genuinely be thought of as an improvement, but on the face of it, I'd probably take him replacing Chicksen as confirmation we've accepted relegation and are now engaging on a cost-cutting / money saving excercise. I wouldn't have a problem with that so long as we're (relatively) competitive in the meantime.
The cost-cutting discussion is fascinating. Do we suspect that Chicksen was maxing out the £2kpw ceiling imposed by the EFL?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Iles running with the Brandon Fleming story - sounds like their gaffer's been on the wireless (kids, ask your granddad, or google)

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ming-loan/