Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:29 pm

SIGNING ALERT

Jacob Mellis signs
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/januar ... ob-mellis/
Bolton Wanderers are delighted to announce the signing of midfielder Jacob Mellis on a contract until the end of the season.

The 29-year-old started his career at Chelsea, making his debut for the Blues against MSK Zilina in the UEFA Champions League back in November 2010 as a second half substitute.

With over 200 appearances in the Football League to his name, the midfielder has spent most of his footballing career so far in the Sky Bet Championship at Barnsley and Blackpool.

From there, Mellis spent time at Bury before joining Mansfield Town in May 2017.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:50 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:44 pm
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/spor ... ln-3800790

Clearly down to money, on loan till the end of the season, no doubt Lincoln will be paying his salary.

I suspect our deal would have involved Forest taking a punt on his wages or losing out by cancelling his contract.

Meh. Thought he played poorly in his last few games for us albeit out of position.
Good luck to him, especially against teams I dislike. Good player, worked hard for us and looked intelligent, but I did feel when he played everything went through him. Since he's gone, nothing's gone through anyone... but let's see how Hillcroft's Bolton Mk2 set up...

Interesting that Mansfield have released midfielder Jacob Mellis today. Played most of his career under Flitcroft, Hill or both.
Just signed on a free.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:38 pm

Current window observations:

- We were clearly determined to have six central defenders coming out of this window.
- Not sure why we signed Thomason from level 9 and loaned him back out to level 7?
- Personally not disappointed about losing out on Bridcutt.
- Another attacker would be nice.
- Squad looking a lot stronger in terms of numbers, we will actually be able to fill the bench with professional players.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:53 pm

Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:50 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:44 pm
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/spor ... ln-3800790

Clearly down to money, on loan till the end of the season, no doubt Lincoln will be paying his salary.

I suspect our deal would have involved Forest taking a punt on his wages or losing out by cancelling his contract.

Meh. Thought he played poorly in his last few games for us albeit out of position.
Good luck to him, especially against teams I dislike. Good player, worked hard for us and looked intelligent, but I did feel when he played everything went through him. Since he's gone, nothing's gone through anyone... but let's see how Hillcroft's Bolton Mk2 set up...

Interesting that Mansfield have released midfielder Jacob Mellis today. Played most of his career under Flitcroft, Hill or both.

ITK!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:00 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:42 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:37 pm
Seems like we're going to lose out to Lincoln on Bridcutt. That really does hammer home how far we've fallen. fecking Lincoln.
Admin and an embargo will do that to a team.

Should hit home to all those expecting miracles.
I wouldn't be surprised that an absolute cock of a manager contributed to that decision.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:38 pm

Watch Mellis have a blinding run of form then get sent down when his court case comes up!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:20 pm

I can't pretend to know very much about the players we've signed, although I hear Mellis is supposedly quite good and I'm interested to see what Georgiou's all about. Quite a few of them have worked with Hill or Flitcroft previously as well, which should make it easier for them to settle in.

First impressions would suggest they're probably a downgrade on Hill's August signings but this transfer window was always likely to be more difficult and they've got an opportunity to show us what they can do. The main benefit is that we now seem to be edging closer to having a proper squad of players to pick from.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:53 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:42 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:37 pm
Seems like we're going to lose out to Lincoln on Bridcutt. That really does hammer home how far we've fallen. fecking Lincoln.
Admin and an embargo will do that to a team.

Should hit home to all those expecting miracles.
And to all those continually asking, in a tone of sarcastic disbelief, "you're not telling me that *insert team name here* are better than we are??"
It is a little odd that he's swapped one relegation battle for another. Given our respective circumstances and that he's already been here, I'm surprised he's opted for Lincoln over us. Perhaps he couldn't face another Hill team talk?
Assuming his family's in Nottingham, Lincoln's closer. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:37 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:20 pm
I can't pretend to know very much about the players we've signed, although I hear Mellis is supposedly quite good and I'm interested to see what Georgiou's all about. Quite a few of them have worked with Hill or Flitcroft previously as well, which should make it easier for them to settle in.

First impressions would suggest they're probably a downgrade on Hill's August signings but this transfer window was always likely to be more difficult and they've got an opportunity to show us what they can do. The main benefit is that we now seem to be edging closer to having a proper squad of players to pick from.
An Ipswich friend says Georgiou is very good, a little one footed though. Looks like Mellis can score a goal, admittedly from youtube so take with a pinch of salt. There's a belter here.
I'm more interested in all these left footed defenders we have.
Ryan Delaney, fingers crossed he can hit the ground running.

I know we're going down however if they can all gel it'll make pre-season a lot easier as the fans might see that the tide is turning. Otherwise it's back to square one.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:37 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 pm
It is a little odd that he's swapped one relegation battle for another. Given our respective circumstances and that he's already been here, I'm surprised he's opted for Lincoln over us.
Assuming his family's in Nottingham, Lincoln's closer. ;)
You're trolling me now... :D

Anyway, Bridxit wasn't revoked so this is where we're at:

GK Remi Matthews
RB/RWB Josh Emmanuel
CB Toto Nsiala, Kean Bryan, Ryan Delaney, Jack Hobbs, Liam Edwards, Yoan Zouma, Harry Brockbank
LB/LWB Brandon Fleming, Joe Bunney
CM Jason Lowe, Luke Murphy, Ethan Hamilton, Jacob Mellis, Ali Crawford
WF Joe Dodoo, Dennis Politic, Ronan Darcy, Anthony Georgiou
CF Daryl Murphy, Chris O'Grady, Mo Faal

The heavy concentration of centre-backs suggests to me we might be going for a back three, perhaps with Delaney in the 'Wheater' Big Man role and two players either side of him who are mobile in defence and comfortable in possession - particularly Bryan but also Nsiala?

This XI can't happen today because several players weren't registered in time but maybe we're planning something like:

----------------Daryl-Dodoo----------------
Fleming - LMurph - Mellis - Emmanuel
--------------------Lowe--------------------
---------Bryan - Delaney - Nsiala--------
------------------Matthews-----------------

With that XI, alternatives (off the bench or via rotation) would include
* O'Grady (or Faal) up top
* Politic, Darcy and Georgiou as troublemaking creatives
* Ethan Hamilton and at some point Ali Crawford in midfield
* Joe Bunney for Fleming on the left (right is more of a problem - Brockbank is a full-back but possibly not a wingback)
* Jack Hobbs as an alternative in the middle of defence, with Edwards and Zouma as cover for the wider centre-backs.

The above 3-5-2 can also be made more attacking when we're inevitably chasing the game by subbing off a centre-back for a creative (eg Delaney for Darcy or Georgiou) and switching to a 4-3-3 with the full-backs still bombing on (Dodoo shifting out to the wing).

--------------------Daryl--------------------
Georgiou---------------------------Dodoo
-------------LMurph - Mellis--------------
--------------------Lowe------------------
Fleming - Bryan - Nsiala - Emmanuel
-----------------Matthews----------------

That would also be an option from the start for a game we felt confident in (are there any?), but lately when chasing the game Hill has been switching to a balls-out 4-4-2 / 4-2-4 / 2-4-4 - that could be achieved by rolling on O'Grady (or Faal) for one of the central midfield trio.

I've woken up this morning most excited about Mellis, who seems to have a decent pedigree and (I hope) could be the playmaker we've missed since Crawford got crocked. I know there's off-field stuff but Hill and particularly Flitcroft know him best and frankly, as the man once said, I need to cling to something.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:48 am

I'd also say that Lowe/Brockbank/Dodoo could go out on the right in an emergency placing O'grady up top with Murphy.

Looks like a side that can compete. Maybe Keith is slowly getting the players he needs for his formation. Really hope we start turning a corner.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:04 am

More on Mellis... on the field.

14/03/13 - Barnsley boss David Flitcroft says Mellis "could go to the top"
https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/artic ... -go-to-top
Jacob Mellis can be good enough to play for Manchester City in the future, according to his manager. The 22-year-old midfielder impressed as a substitute in the 5-0 loss at City on Saturday and David Flitcroft says he will get to the Premier League if he plays like that more consistently.

“If Jacob Mellis had put a Man City shirt on in the second half, he wouldn’t have looked out of place,” said Flitcroft. “He’s still got a lot of work to do but I think that game has given him a little bit more purpose. So if we can get Jacob Mellis to the Premier League then that is someone else’s career we have put back on track.

“There’s no doubt in my mind that he could get there. I saw it with Jacob Butterfield. He was a ‘one in four’ player but then he got levels of consistency. I see a very similar pattern with Mells. This group love him and he loves being part of the group. He’s committing to the gym, football and tactical and technical sessions that we’re asking him to do."
1/7/15 - Flitcroft signs Mellis for Bury
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... ew-9569455
"I have brought Jacob to the club as I feel he fits perfectly into the vision we have for our team on the pitch and into the new DNA profile for a Bury player," manager David Flitcroft told the club's official website. "Jacob has not yet reached his potential and it is our aim and desire to give him a home where he can fulfil that. I believe that he will create opportunities and score goals. He can improve us in all forward areas of the pitch with his creation and execution quality.

“I worked with Jacob at Barnsley, where he was an instrumental player in helping us stay in the Championship. In the time I worked with him we built a very good relationship based on trust, and I believe that this was a major factor in Jacob coming to Bury. The environment which we have created here will suit Jacob’s needs. We have an outstanding support infrastructure here at Bury, not only with the staff but also with the players. We have players here who will have a major impact on Jacob’s future both on and off the pitch.”
15/11/18 - Mansfield boss Flitcroft delighted with Mellis
https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/m ... orm-214856
“I had Jacob Mellis when I was at Barnsley and at Bury,” said Flitcroft. “When he was is in the the form he’s in now he is unplayable. He’s found that form again. That inconsistency he’s had at the start of the season with what happened against Sheffield Wednesday [he was sent off in a pre-season friendly; Fernando Forestieri, accused of using racist language, was later acquitted by the courts but charged by the FA] left him catching up. But playing Saturday/Tuesday has helped him gain that rhythm. He is a fantastic player and he’s showing real signs of that at the moment.”
28/11/18 - Mellis interviewed by MTFC site
https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2018 ... -top-form/
...Mellis has been superb in the middle of the park, providing just the kind of creative streak that had attracted the Stags to sign him in the first place. In the dozen or so games since his return, Mansfield have remained unbeaten in League Two, losing only in an FA Cup replay at Charlton and in the Checkatrade Trophy against former club Bury.

Mellis has certainly played his part in the successful run, contributing three goals – including important and spectacular strikes against promotion rivals MK Dons and Lincoln – as well as countless telling passes that have helped put the Stags on the front foot. The former Chelsea trainee is delighted to have dropped into the groove so that he is now regularly producing something like his best.

“I’m very pleased with how I’m doing at the moment – it’s definitely been an improvement from me recently,” he admits. “Last season my form was patchy and I wasn’t always at my best, but this season has been a lot better of late. It was frustrating to have to sit out games and not be available because of the ban, but I’ve chipped in and shown what I can do for the team since coming back into the side in early October, and it’s helped that the gaffer (David Flitcroft) has given me a clear role in the side.

“We are going quite well as a team and have put ourselves into a decent position with a couple of games in hand on our rivals. Even when we were drawing a lot earlier in the season, I think everyone believed in the way we were trying to play and that it would come good, which it has, thanks to hours and hours working on getting things right on the training field.

“I’ve worked on getting in the box and arriving at the right time, rather than being 20 yards behind play, which is helping me to get more shots away. I’ve scored a few goals and got a few assists, but you can always do more, and I, along with the other players, look at the video analysis each week and work out what we can do better.”
18/05/19 - MTFC season player ratings
https://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/spor ... 479?page=5
8/10 - Under David Flitcroft's coaching Mellis rediscovered the sort of form that made him a 1m player at Chelsea and often ran the midfield, playing some breathtaking passes.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:07 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:48 am
I'd also say that Lowe/Brockbank/Dodoo could go out on the right in an emergency placing O'grady up top with Murphy.

Looks like a side that can compete. Maybe Keith is slowly getting the players he needs for his formation. Really hope we start turning a corner.
As right wingback? Aye, possibly, depending on the opposition. Brockbank would be considerably more defensive than Dodoo but horses for courses, etc. I just think we can't possibly have hired that many centre-backs to play a back four as a default.

As for the latter - me too. All we have is hope, my friend. Us and the rest of the Bolton massive.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:12 am

I still think it'll be a 4. Suspect we've seen the last of Zouma. Brockers I suspect is emergency Emmanuel cover. That's then leaves 5 CBs, one is perma-crock Hobbs and one untested Edwards.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:20 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:12 am
I still think it'll be a 4. Suspect we've seen the last of Zouma. Brockers I suspect is emergency Emmanuel cover. That's then leaves 5 CBs, one is perma-crock Hobbs and one untested Edwards.
Aye, possibly. I agree on Zouma and Brockers, and as you say Hobbs is made of glass. But the way Hill was going on about not having time to reacclimatise him via the U23s...

If we were planning a front three I'd've imagined we'd hire more than one up top, yon Spurs winger. Fair enough we've got Politic and Dodoo, and Darcy could float wide, but you get the drift. You never know what they were focusing on but it certainly felt like centre-backs all month long - he's signed three despite relative depth of numbers in that position and lack of available spaces.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:27 am

Prufrock wrote:
Is emergency Emmanuel cover like a VHS tape you whip out for a crafty wank when your mum's gone out?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:03 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:27 am
Prufrock wrote:
Is emergency Emmanuel cover like a VHS tape you whip out for a crafty wank when your mum's gone out?
That reference is going to require a lot of footnotes. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:09 am

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:03 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:27 am
Prufrock wrote:
That reference is going to require a lot of footnotes. :D
I figured google might sort it! :-)

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:57 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:37 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:20 pm

An Ipswich friend says Georgiou is very good, a little one footed though. Looks like Mellis can score a goal, admittedly from youtube so take with a pinch of salt. There's a belter here.
I'm more interested in all these left footed defenders we have.
Ryan Delaney, fingers crossed he can hit the ground running.

I know we're going down however if they can all gel it'll make pre-season a lot easier as the fans might see that the tide is turning. Otherwise it's back to square one.

I spotted Georgiou's one-footedness myself when doing the obligatory Youtube searches yesterday. It's pleasing to hear he's comes recommended, though. He appears to be extremely raw, but potentially could be quite explosive. We'll see.

Mellis has a reputation on the pitch and off it. But he's not the first player like that to sign for us and do well.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:01 pm

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:20 am
Prufrock wrote:
Aye, possibly. I agree on Zouma and Brockers, and as you say Hobbs is made of glass. But the way Hill was going on about not having time to reacclimatise him via the U23s...

If we were planning a front three I'd've imagined we'd hire more than one up top, yon Spurs winger. Fair enough we've got Politic and Dodoo, and Darcy could float wide, but you get the drift. You never know what they were focusing on but it certainly felt like centre-backs all month long - he's signed three despite relative depth of numbers in that position and lack of available spaces.

Certainly could be. He's played O'Grady wide too though. Given what we've seen so far he might experiment with both (think he talked about needing to play differently away from home).

Feels to be like we've got far more senior players then we did before, whether true or not, which would be nice.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.