Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Rotherham will now consider themselves a very good side....doubtless. Compared to us I suppose they are. 7-1....ffs.....7-1.... :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:07 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:23 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:06 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:41 pm
Apparently its not Meredith, its someone called Chicksen another ex Bradford LB.

Bolton Wanderers are pleased to confirm that Adam Chicksen has penned a deal with the club until January.

The defender, 27, has previously played for MK Dons, Brighton & Hove Albion, Charlton and Bradford City.

He was named in manager Keith Hill’s starting XI for this afternoon’s Sky Bet League One encounter at Rotherham United.

yay!! welcome Chicksen... we feed him on Indian corn.... errr....
Almost ran around like a headless Chicksen at times. Ball chasing into the middle so many times lead to acres of space on their right.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:46 pm
Rotherham will now consider themselves a very good side....doubtless. Compared to us I suppose they are. 7-1....ffs.....7-1.... :shock:
Erm. Wasn't it 6-1? Did I miscount?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:25 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:23 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:06 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:41 pm
Apparently its not Meredith, its someone called Chicksen another ex Bradford LB.

Bolton Wanderers are pleased to confirm that Adam Chicksen has penned a deal with the club until January.

The defender, 27, has previously played for MK Dons, Brighton & Hove Albion, Charlton and Bradford City.

He was named in manager Keith Hill’s starting XI for this afternoon’s Sky Bet League One encounter at Rotherham United.

yay!! welcome Chicksen... we feed him on Indian corn.... errr....
We should keep him in our back yard too according to reports of his first showing
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Chicksen was very poor and I've read that Bradford fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. Does make me wonder if we'd have been better just going with youth at LB rather than signing him? And then filling one or two other positions instead.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:15 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:18 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:46 pm
Erm. Wasn't it 6-1? Did I miscount?
My error Truewhite. Got a bit carried away in the excitement of being six down. :oops:

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 am

Hill now saying that its a gamble bringing in free transfers to fill the remaining squad places - my view is that its a bigger gamble not doing. I really don't get his point, surely as long as any players he brings in are not injured we need them in sooner rather than later to get them up to speed and fit, even if its to use them from the bench in the 2nd half of games.

As Saturday showed we just don't have the strength in depth & we need a stronger more experienced bench ASAP, and we can't just do feck all & wait another 3 weeks for Murphy to be fit (what if he gets injured again, Murphy & O'Grady are both getting on a bit in football terms), also what if Wright is out - he needs to urgently bring in another striker & CB.

How can a manager complain or comment about the strength of the bench / squad, but then do nothing and leave 2 squad places un filled.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 am

As much as I like what Hill appears to be doing with us football-wise, he doesn't half chat some bollocks.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:23 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 am
Hill now saying that its a gamble bringing in free transfers to fill the remaining squad places - my view is that its a bigger gamble not doing. I really don't get his point, surely as long as any players he brings in are not injured we need them in sooner rather than later to get them up to speed and fit, even if its to use them from the bench in the 2nd half of games.

As Saturday showed we just don't have the strength in depth & we need a stronger more experienced bench ASAP, and we can't just do feck all & wait another 3 weeks for Murphy to be fit (what if he gets injured again, Murphy & O'Grady are both getting on a bit in football terms), also what if Wright is out - he needs to urgently bring in another striker & CB.

How can a manager complain or comment about the strength of the bench / squad, but then do nothing and leave 2 squad places un filled.
The bigger issue is that the EFL restrictions they've placed on us means we can't offer much for the remaining two places and therefore - the ones we might want so far haven't agreed anything. At least that seems to be the case.

We offered Billy Clarke a deal for example - he turned it down. When I say we are restricted - it is quite severe. Under £2k per week type of restriction for the last two places. The EFL have come up with some sort of turnover based restriction on wages unlike our previous embargo. Apparently.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:24 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 am
As much as I like what Hill appears to be doing with us football-wise, he doesn't half chat some bollocks.
Verbal diarrhea is the term I'd use!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 am

Just a pill we have to swallow. In the event of injuries we've enough competition for all the other places with the u23 lads who've already featured.

We do currently look light up top but unless we can find someone cheap who's ready to play immediately and is happy with a 6 month contract then it'll have to be Buckley and/or Brown, Darcy until the other two are fit
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:11 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 am
Just a pill we have to swallow. In the event of injuries we've enough competition for all the other places with the u23 lads who've already featured.

We do currently look light up top but unless we can find someone cheap who's ready to play immediately and is happy with a 6 month contract then it'll have to be Buckley and/or Brown, Darcy until the other two are fit
Not sure that Hill and Flitcroft see the U23's in the main as genuine competition. Hill's remarks about them last week were hardly "inviting".

Or his ones post match saying he needs senior injuries to clear up so he has "options from the bench".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:16 am

Chinedu Obasi is unavailable until the winter window.

More seriously, I'm sure there'll be a sliding scale of idealism and pragmatism. Notwithstanding BWFCi's financial suspicion, I've no doubt that if a corker comes available then we might go for it. But it's already nearly October, they'd presumably need a month to get fit so we'd get them for two months before the window opens again. At that point, we might regret the quick-fixes clogging up the squad allowance and wage bill.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:11 am
Not sure that Hill and Flitcroft see the U23's in the main as genuine competition. Hill's remarks about them last week were hardly "inviting".

Or his ones post match saying he needs senior injuries to clear up so he has "options from the bench".
Hill says a lot of things. Including "I am conscious of having to try and develop the young players because I am going to need them, in case there are more injuries."

Worth noting though that they aren't even all U23s, some were promoted out of desperation. Edwards is 23 next month, Zouma 21, Brockbank (injured) 21 this week, but the others are teenagers: Politic 19, Darcy 18, Brown 18. At that age, some will be closer than others, as we saw in the first month of the season.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:07 pm

We've got 2 "first team" strikers, both injured, plus one of the most "ready" young players who has experience at this level also injured. And Buckley who can do a job. Sign someone now and in a month's time, by the time they're fit, you could have 4 players for one spot. Think we'll have to make do for a few weeks.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:07 pm
We've got 2 "first team" strikers, both injured, plus one of the most "ready" young players who has experience at this level also injured. And Buckley who can do a job. Sign someone now and in a month's time, by the time they're fit, you could have 4 players for one spot. Think we'll have to make do for a few weeks.
And most free agents won't sign till just January especially on terms we are able to offer.

Ultimately you have to question - is it really that significant? We're playing well and are competitive. I think we have virtually no chance of survival so if we drop points for a few games, so what? Its not like we're an awful watch.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Connor hall back next month and Edwards not too far off? Josh Earl as well.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:25 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:27 pm
Chicksen was very poor and I've read that Bradford fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. Does make me wonder if we'd have been better just going with youth at LB rather than signing him? And then filling one or two other positions instead.
I really don't get this 'downer' on Chicksen. From what I've seen of him he strikes me as being perfectly adequate. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:25 pm
Jugs wrote:
I really don't get this 'downer' on Chicksen. From what I've seen of him he strikes me as being perfectly adequate. :?
Me neither, I thought he had a poor game against Rotherham but that was his 1st game this season and he's not been training apparently.

Oxford and Sunderland, I thought he was really good.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:25 pm
Jugs wrote:
It's Bolton. There has to be a downer on someone to make the others look not so bad.. :wink: