Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:29 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:06 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:57 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:15 pm
Nsiala confirmed. Loan to the end of the season.
Screenshot_20200111_125458.jpg

An Ipswich friend sent me this.
Alex Baptiste then. Just hope Hill doesn't do a Dougie and play him anywhere but his preferred position
He'll be fine when it's his turn in the wing. Won't concede any penalties out there.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:59 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:40 pm
Madine has just been released by Cardiff...
That'll be because he's fecking shite. He's lived high on the hog despite his blatantly obvious limitations for an entire career. I'm confident that Hill's tactics don't involve 'smacking it up to the bulky c*nt' which is Madine's game. I also reckon he'll thumb the nose of the idea of playing for £2K per week, before pitching up at some obscure Asian club.
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:11 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:59 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
That'll be because he's fecking shite. He's lived high on the hog despite his blatantly obvious limitations for an entire career. I'm confident that Hill's tactics don't involve 'smacking it up to the bulky c*nt' which is Madine's game. I also reckon he'll thumb the nose of the idea of playing for £2K per week, before pitching up at some obscure Asian club.
So shite that Cardiff were willing to pay £6m for him. Madine would be one of the best players in the league, but we can't afford him and we just signed a striker.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:11 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
So shite that Cardiff were willing to pay £6m for him. Madine would be one of the best players in the league, but we can't afford him and we just signed a striker.
Great bit of business that. Selling a player for top dollar on the back of a solitary purple patch ;)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:04 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am
The_Gun wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Great bit of business that. Selling a player for top dollar on the back of a solitary purple patch ;)
This all over - we're often critical of players we've let go in the past and an inability to get transfer fees for folks etc. But this was a great sale.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:36 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:04 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:33 am
The_Gun wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
This all over - we're often critical of players we've let go in the past and an inability to get transfer fees for folks etc. But this was a great sale.
What it probably shows is the way to get value is to sell players when you don't want to - football wise at least.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 am

Apparently Chicksen has said his goodbyes to the players, so we now have no fit left backs.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Maybe we are loaning Josh earl..oh no, wait, Ipswich have just used their budget from us signing the fourth choice centre half to nab him. WTF?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:08 pm

Chicksen and Earl are very odd. Certainly Chicksen. Was he brilliant? No. But seemed to be 6 out of ten at least every week. Which is worth a lot. Probably not good enough for an assault on the top end of league one but certainly good enough to be a league 2 stalwart in my view.

Why he is going is beyond me - unless of course he can earn more elsewhere than we are able to pay. But sounds like (according to Iles at least) Hill has sent him packing.

Now I'm interested into whether FV have urged Hill to think next season and player and sign young lads (would fit with signings so far), whether FV are trying to cut costs, whether Hill is trying to give himself cover for the relegation, whether there is a long term strategy that now supercedes the short term, or whether Hill didn't rate Chicksen much.

Some answers from the club/management would be useful now I think. Like Wright I doubt we'll replace Chicksen with anyone substantially better. And in the short term???????????????

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:08 pm
Chicksen and Earl are very odd. Certainly Chicksen. Was he brilliant? No. But seemed to be 6 out of ten at least every week. Which is worth a lot. Probably not good enough for an assault on the top end of league one but certainly good enough to be a league 2 stalwart in my view.

Why he is going is beyond me - unless of course he can earn more elsewhere than we are able to pay. But sounds like (according to Iles at least) Hill has sent him packing.

Now I'm interested into whether FV have urged Hill to think next season and player and sign young lads (would fit with signings so far), whether FV are trying to cut costs, whether Hill is trying to give himself cover for the relegation, whether there is a long term strategy that now supercedes the short term, or whether Hill didn't rate Chicksen much.

Some answers from the club/management would be useful now I think. Like Wright I doubt we'll replace Chicksen with anyone substantially better. And in the short term???????????????
If this was the case and the club have accepted relegation and are now concentrating on building for League 2 - surely he would not have signed Nsiala & Hamilton on loan, unless he thinks he can sign them permanently in the summer, he would surely be concentrating on players who will be with us next season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Interested to hear what precisely could be said that wouldn't cause soiled gussets.

If it's revealed that we've hoisted the white flag of surrender and accepted relegation, there'll be folk saying Hill's both yellow-bellied (for giving up) and a liar (for maintaining the public illusion of the Impossible Dream). If Hill says we can still do it he'll be called a fantasist. If we sign players for Division Four it'll be seen as surrender. If we sign players who might help us out this season tll be seen as short-termism.

On Chicksen, if he says he thinks he can find better elsewhere he'll be called a monster, especialy if those hopes don't bear fruit (ie our targets have better offers than a team falling off the arse-end of the League One table) and we have to ask Chicksen to re-sign late this month (or early next).

Seems to me that some of the same folk who found Parky too lacking in personality find Hill too full of it. Either would be forgiven with winning football, of whatever style, and that's the central problem, not an angry post-match gut reaction. I'd rather he didn't shoot his mouth off but I'd be far be more worried if he plainly didn't give a shit.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Interested to hear what precisely could be said that wouldn't cause soiled gussets.

If it's revealed that we've hoisted the white flag of surrender and accepted relegation, there'll be folk saying Hill's both yellow-bellied (for giving up) and a liar (for maintaining the public illusion of the Impossible Dream). If Hill says we can still do it he'll be called a fantasist. If we sign players for Division Four it'll be seen as surrender. If we sign players who might help us out this season tll be seen as short-termism.

On Chicksen, if he says he thinks he can find better elsewhere he'll be called a monster, especialy if those hopes don't bear fruit (ie our targets have better offers than a team falling off the arse-end of the League One table) and we have to ask Chicksen to re-sign late this month (or early next).

Seems to me that some of the same folk who found Parky too lacking in personality find Hill too full of it. Either would be forgiven with winning football, of whatever style, and that's the central problem, not an angry post-match gut reaction. I'd rather he didn't shoot his mouth off but I'd be far be more worried if he plainly didn't give a shit.
I'm not saying that Hill should have to give his reasoning in public, I'm just personally struggling to fathom what the reasoning might be. Chicksen has played well for us, isn't that old that he's only a short term option and clearly would be a good option in League 2. If Hill thinks he can find a better option then you would hope he has someone pretty close to signing because in the short term we are now completely devoid of left backs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I think the whole thing could do with a public update. We're a little in the dark. Hill isn't helping with erratic and oft conflicting comments.

The actions of the past fortnight scream in reality accepting our fate and building for next season. But these things can be deceptive. Hill's lack of enthusiasm for Faal in his pre-match interview struck me - is that a manager taking pressure off - or a sign of something deeper. Then his comments post-match really made me wonder.

What is the aim? The plan? We have so far put only a few building blocks in place - but are seemingly putting ourselves in a weaker position initially - partly through necessity but how much is choice and who?

I'm not expecting a full analysis merely a statement or two from FV to explain what they see as priorities.

I felt throughout an incredibly difficult time here Parky behaved with grace, sense and decorum. A proper gent who could have said an awful lot but didn't. Like him or not, like his football or not he was impeccable under extreme circumstances. Hill who is getting less stick as we sit bottom of league one than Parky did when we were top 2 - seemingly cannot operate in the same manner. I get everyone is different - but from the outset I couldn't warm to him at all. I'm not calling for his head - I just can't see this ending well. And I'm a fan of some big personality managers as well as the quieter ones - something about KH has rubbed me up the wrong way from the off.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:26 pm

The Faal signing smells of that Recruitment guy we brought in towards the back end of last year - Someone who answers to the board and not the football manager.

It could well be said, that Hill is not getting a say in recruitment, which will probably be a first for him in his career
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:47 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... s-release/

Fair play to Hill, he has actually come out and said he thinks we can get better than Chicksen. Let's hope he's right.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:07 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:47 pm

Fair play to Hill, he has actually come out and said he thinks we can get better than Chicksen. Let's hope he's right.
And the quotes are more widely interesting:
From a pure footballing decision I believe we need to do better. We have got to start building out, start looking at longer term rather than short-term. We can’t keep with six-month contracts because at the end of the season virtually every player we have got is out of contract. We should be looking far more into the future than six, 12, 18-months.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:14 pm

Now we know, planning for the future in League 2, which is at it should be.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:07 pm

Not much point Lowe and Murphy hanging around this window then...what they want to do is get themselves suspended for as many games as possible!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:15 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:26 pm
The Faal signing smells of that Recruitment guy we brought in towards the back end of last year - Someone who answers to the board and not the football manager.

It could well be said, that Hill is not getting a say in recruitment, which will probably be a first for him in his career

I've wondered if there's a conflict there as well. I doubt Hill has absolutely no input as Hamilton seems very much his kind of signing; I'm not as confident the others are, though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:58 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 am
Apparently Chicksen has said his goodbyes to the players, so we now have no fit left backs.
I don't get this. I think Chicksen's performed more than adequately, in my opinion. I'm guessing that Hill's plans involve wing-backs rather than full-backs and I get that. However, I think that Chicksen's performed well when asked to do either and I'm not sure that we should be kicking a player who offers that versatility out of the club.