Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by jmjhb » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:53 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:14 pm
How's about, you can only play for the town/city you were born in? Home grown talent sort of thing.......Er, no, maybe not. Not much call for football in Katmandu I suppose. Daft, but is it any dafter than what's going on right now? Football is run by spivs, chancers and money investors. We even hire the Mafia to sell our home grown barm cakes..... :lol:
This would be terrible for anyone outside London. A few cities might be ok, but we would be properly screwed!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:38 am

jmjhb wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:53 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
How's about, you can only play for the town/city you were born in? Home grown talent sort of thing.......Er, no, maybe not. Not much call for football in Katmandu I suppose. Daft, but is it any dafter than what's going on right now? Football is run by spivs, chancers and money investors. We even hire the Mafia to sell our home grown barm cakes..... :lol:
This would be terrible for anyone outside London. A few cities might be ok, but we would be properly screwed!
Bad man. We mighta missed out on Okocha, Djorkaeff, Campo and Hierro but we'd have had Nicky Hunt!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:04 pm

I do think there is something in the idea of a form of football limited by geography though. Maybe needs a tweak.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:04 pm
I do think there is something in the idea of a form of football limited by geography though. Maybe needs a tweak.
Aye, the tweak it needs is not to be limited by geography.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:38 am
jmjhb wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bad man. We mighta missed out on Okocha, Djorkaeff, Campo and Hierro but we'd have had Nicky Hunt!
We'd lose four of the five people pictured at the top of every TW page. We'd lose seven of the nine players who've made 500+ appearances for us: Eddie Hopkinson (Co. Durham), Alex Finney (St Helen's), Jussi (Finland), Warwick Rimmer (Birkenhead), Bryan Edwards (Leeds), Ted Vizard (Wales) and Paul Jones (Ellesmere Port). We'd lose eight of the eleven players who've scored 100+ goals for us: Joe Smith (Dudley), Ray Westwood (Dudley), Willie Moir (Scotland), John Byrom (Blackburn), Neil Whatmore (Ellesmere Port), John McGinlay (Scotland), Dennis Stevenes (Dudley again - have we still got scouts there?) and Jim Cassidy (Scotland).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
jmjhb wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
We'd lose four of the five people pictured at the top of every TW page. We'd lose seven of the nine players who've made 500+ appearances for us: Eddie Hopkinson (Co. Durham), Alex Finney (St Helen's), Jussi (Finland), Warwick Rimmer (Birkenhead), Bryan Edwards (Leeds), Ted Vizard (Wales) and Paul Jones (Ellesmere Port). We'd lose eight of the eleven players who've scored 100+ goals for us: Joe Smith (Dudley), Ray Westwood (Dudley), Willie Moir (Scotland), John Byrom (Blackburn), Neil Whatmore (Ellesmere Port), John McGinlay (Scotland), Dennis Stevenes (Dudley again - have we still got scouts there?) and Jim Cassidy (Scotland).
Gee, it was all tongue-in-cheek commenting on the state of football today, your actual Pogbas' etc. We can't even raise eleven good footballers in Bolton fit to play on Moss Bank. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:43 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:04 pm
Aye, the tweak it needs is not to be limited by geography.
I don't know. If you widen it to say, nationwide, it might have legs.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:27 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
jmjhb wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Gee, it was all tongue-in-cheek commenting on the state of football today, your actual Pogbas' etc. We can't even raise eleven good footballers in Bolton fit to play on Moss Bank. :(
Aye, fair enough. I'd be intrigued to see the best-ever Town XI.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:23 am

Wasn't this regional thing floated a few years ago vis-a-vis academy recruitment? It meant shit all to us as we're still in the same zone as the usual big fish.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:07 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:23 am
Wasn't this regional thing floated a few years ago vis-a-vis academy recruitment? It meant shit all to us as we're still in the same zone as the usual big fish.
There was a rule that youngsters couldn't travel more than (I think) 90 minutes to their club.

Glancing down the list of Premier League youth squads will tell you how successful that was.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:08 pm

So, next season we'll need an experienced leader on the pitch, someone capable of pulling the players together, someone well respect by the fans and someone who's made the town and the club his own.

David Wheater's now in talks with Kilmarock. Oh the fecking joys never end, do they?!

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... lton-exit/
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:16 pm

You'd hope he's top of the speed dial. Only so long he can hang around though, certainly wouldn't blame him if he gets an offer. You'd hope FV would've said they'll be an offer of X as soon as we have control.

Taylor too for me.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:30 pm

Face It. We're in League Two territory. If we survive. All my energy is going into the fret to survive street. I'm still not panicking though.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:08 pm

:hang: pas encore

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Ach, verpiss dich!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Gringo.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:59 pm

Feck

It seems that everything is just being wound down and the business of football is forgotten about while the bean counters argue over hotels , car parks and charlatans.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:10 pm

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/g ... -training/

All 6 or is it 7 reported for training !!
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Thor
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Thor » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:43 am

https://www.footballinsider247.com/excl ... -year-old/
I guess the squad is a little top heavy with keepers!!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:05 am

Thor wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:43 am
https://www.footballinsider247.com/excl ... -year-old/
I guess the squad is a little top heavy with keepers!!
Sell him for a fee if possible, reinvest it and sign Jake turner back up* as number 2. He was supposed to be the next best thing a couple of years ago.

(*Not on £16k a week for 4 years though)