Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18076
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:47 pm

CODE: SELECT ALL

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23777
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:53 pm

That's helpful! :-)

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18076
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:00 pm

SIGNING ALERT

It's Spurs kid Anthony Georgiou on loan till end of season
CODE: SELECT ALL Lewisham-born Cypriot international. Seems to be a tricky left-winger. Been on loan at Ipswich this season:
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6443705

Sounds exciting but inconsistent - Verlinden replacement, then. That report says he has 18 months on his Spurs contract but he's 23 in February so it's time to grow up, young man.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4109
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:08 pm

James Weir has left the club. Contract cancelled by mutual consent.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7367
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:08 pm
James Weir has left the club. Contract cancelled by mutual consent.
One of those I had high hopes for early on but he just never seemed to push on and Hill quite clearly didnt rate him. Good luck to the lad
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

The_Gun
Promising
Promising
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:37 pm

Seems like we're going to lose out to Lincoln on Bridcutt. That really does hammer home how far we've fallen. fecking Lincoln.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4109
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:42 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:37 pm
Seems like we're going to lose out to Lincoln on Bridcutt. That really does hammer home how far we've fallen. fecking Lincoln.
Admin and an embargo will do that to a team.

Should hit home to all those expecting miracles.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2200
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:53 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:42 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:37 pm
Seems like we're going to lose out to Lincoln on Bridcutt. That really does hammer home how far we've fallen. fecking Lincoln.
Admin and an embargo will do that to a team.

Should hit home to all those expecting miracles.
And to all those continually asking, in a tone of sarcastic disbelief, "you're not telling me that *insert team name here* are better than we are??"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7367
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:53 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:42 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:37 pm
Seems like we're going to lose out to Lincoln on Bridcutt. That really does hammer home how far we've fallen. fecking Lincoln.
Admin and an embargo will do that to a team.

Should hit home to all those expecting miracles.
And to all those continually asking, in a tone of sarcastic disbelief, "you're not telling me that *insert team name here* are better than we are??"
It is a little odd that he's swapped one relegation battle for another. Given our respective circumstances and that he's already been here, I'm surprised he's opted for Lincoln over us. Perhaps he couldn't face another Hill team talk?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18076
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:17 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:53 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:42 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:37 pm
Seems like we're going to lose out to Lincoln on Bridcutt. That really does hammer home how far we've fallen. fecking Lincoln.
Admin and an embargo will do that to a team.

Should hit home to all those expecting miracles.
And to all those continually asking, in a tone of sarcastic disbelief, "you're not telling me that *insert team name here* are better than we are??"
It is a little odd that he's swapped one relegation battle for another. Given our respective circumstances and that he's already been here, I'm surprised he's opted for Lincoln over us. Perhaps he couldn't face another Hill team talk?
Lincoln are eight points off the play-offs and 15 above the drop zone, with more than four and a half times the number of points we have. Also, Lincoln is within an hour of Nottingham, so he may not have to live in a suitcase or a car. I'm sure he'll have wanted a higher option but them's the breaks.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4109
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:44 pm

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/spor ... ln-3800790

Clearly down to money, on loan till the end of the season, no doubt Lincoln will be paying his salary.

I suspect our deal would have involved Forest taking a punt on his wages or losing out by cancelling his contract.

Meh. Thought he played poorly in his last few games for us albeit out of position.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 4109
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:48 pm

In other news

We've signed Ryan Delaney from Rochdale.

Just off to find out some info.

edit:

18 month deal. No doubt this is the Weir place filled.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18076
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:50 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:44 pm
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/spor ... ln-3800790

Clearly down to money, on loan till the end of the season, no doubt Lincoln will be paying his salary.

I suspect our deal would have involved Forest taking a punt on his wages or losing out by cancelling his contract.

Meh. Thought he played poorly in his last few games for us albeit out of position.
Good luck to him, especially against teams I dislike. Good player, worked hard for us and looked intelligent, but I did feel when he played everything went through him. Since he's gone, nothing's gone through anyone... but let's see how Hillcroft's Bolton Mk2 set up...

Interesting that Mansfield have released midfielder Jacob Mellis today. Played most of his career under Flitcroft, Hill or both.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18076
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:04 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:48 pm
In other news

We've signed Ryan Delaney from Rochdale.

Just off to find out some info.

edit:

18 month deal. No doubt this is the Weir place filled.
Left-sided 6ft 5in defender (centre-back or left-back). At least the fourth left-sided player we've signed this month (Fleming, Georgiou and Bryan, although the latter plays centrally). We must have bought out his contract as he signed an extension to 2021 in summer 2018 - under Hill, who'd signed him for 2.5 years that January. Played 35 games for Dale last season but obviously Barry-Murphy didn't fancy his compatriot - sent him on loan to AFC Wombles this season, and now to us.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18076
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:05 pm

George Thomason sent out on loan to Bamber Bridge

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Manchester

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by jonnybwfc » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:14 pm

There was no way Bridcutt was coming back.

Why would his parent club have him out with us, playing out of position. When other League 1 clubs would play him in his position.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Athertonian
Promising
Promising
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Athertonian » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:19 pm

Seems Hills preparing for Div 2, lets hope Delaney isn't a Donkey. As next term. for Bridcutt, I have mixed opinions on him but, agree with one poster saying it shows how far we have slumped, losing out to Lincoln.

I'm still optimistic that we can have a decent run and a strong ending to the season, at least it will give fans a bit of hope for next term. It still bothers me knowing Hill is in charge but, I'll again give him the benefiter of any doubt I have. Anyone that listened his pre/post match interviews when he was Rochdale boss would have known what sort of bloke he was.

As I have said before, I have written this season off as a bad job but next will be crucial, this will test what Hill is made of, but again, he's still got this transfer embargo and will need to rely on out of contract players and loans. All depends what money FV have and who they can attract.
Roll on next season.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18076
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:20 pm

I'm surprised people are so obsessed with the Bridcutt centre-back thing.

It's not about that. Forest don't want him back, so they wouldn't care if we played him in goal.

What they care about is the bottom line. He's on a wage which costs them money, in a division which is under increasing scrutiny over what the EFL (with no sense of irony) calls "profitability and sustainability" rules. We couldn't offer much of that wage, due to embargo. Someone else has. So he's gone there.

If it's about positions at all, it's about positions in the table. If they kick on, they could close that eight-point gap to the play-offs. Maybe if we'd kicked on and halved our own gap we could have sold him the dream and he might have wanted to stay on. But, and it is an enormous but, the club that owned his contract would rather have sent him somewhere that covers their losses.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Athertonian » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:19 pm
Seems Hills preparing for Div 2, lets hope Delaney isn't a Donkey. As for Bridcutt, I have mixed opinions on him but, agree with one poster saying it shows how far we have slumped, losing out to Lincoln.

I'm still optimistic that we can have a decent run and a strong ending to the season, at least it will give fans a bit of hope for next term. It still bothers me knowing Hill is in charge but, I'll again give him the benefiter of any doubt I have. Anyone that listened his pre/post match interviews when he was Rochdale boss would have known what sort of bloke he was.

As I have said before, I have written this season off as a bad job but next will be crucial, this will test what Hill is made of, but again, he's still got this transfer embargo and will need to rely on out of contract players and loans. All depends what money FV have and who they can attract.
Roll on next season.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18076
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:26 pm

CODE: SELECT ALL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests