League One 2019/20

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: League One 2019/20

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:32 am

Sounds like Pompey picked up a couple of injuries too. Hopefully that result, which will have really hurt them, leaves them still flat for Saturday.

In other news, what seemed an unlikely story anyway, Henrik Larrsson may not be taking charge at Southend.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:02 am

Dunno, think I'd have preferred a Portsmouth win. How often do you see it: "They battered a Premier league side but then fell to the side bottom of their table a few days later."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:40 pm

Jugs wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:02 am
Dunno, think I'd have preferred a Portsmouth win. How often do you see it: "They battered a Premier league side but then fell to the side bottom of their table a few days later."
Apparently never :D
battered.JPG
battered.JPG (24.53 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
More seriously, AFC Wimbledon - the Alpha Centauri to our sun in the League One universe, a mere 12 points distant - have suspended manager Wally Downes; he has been charged by the FA over betting. "Saturday’s match with Peterborough United will be managed by Glyn Hodges and the coaching staff."

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/201 ... statement/

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:13 pm

:D

Lol Downes has so much baggage, it's crazy they hired him in the first place.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:57 pm

While I may be losing a smidgen of faith in our inevitable heroic parade to safety, it's worth noting a couple of interesting battles above us tomorrow: both our fellow drop-zone dwellers face teams in that gormless clump just above them: Wombletown (3pts) host Rochdale (10pts) while Southend (4pts) presumably charter a tug across the murky Thames Estuary to Gillingham (10pts). Difficult to judge the best outcome: wins for the clubs near us would be a blow (as opposed to helping us haul them in) but wins for the upper clubs would put them 20+ clear of us going into Monday's game. They can't both win, though, and that clump also includes Accy (10pts), Tranmere (9) and Pompey (9).

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:57 pm
While I may be losing a smidgen of faith in our inevitable heroic parade to safety, it's worth noting a couple of interesting battles above us tomorrow: both our fellow drop-zone dwellers face teams in that gormless clump just above them: Wombletown (3pts) host Rochdale (10pts) while Southend (4pts) presumably charter a tug across the murky Thames Estuary to Gillingham (10pts). Difficult to judge the best outcome: wins for the clubs near us would be a blow (as opposed to helping us haul them in) but wins for the upper clubs would put them 20+ clear of us going into Monday's game. They can't both win, though, and that clump also includes Accy (10pts), Tranmere (9) and Pompey (9).
I hope they ALL lose.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:09 pm
I hope they ALL lose.

With points deducted for fielding ineligible players.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:18 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:13 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:09 pm
I hope they ALL lose.

With points deducted for fielding ineligible players.
...and a dose of crippling syphillis

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:34 pm

...with John Aldridge getting bitten by a black mamba

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Connor Hall and Josh Earl played U23s this week, and LoV reports Jake Wright at FanZone saying he hopes to be back for the Lincoln game next week. We're starting to get a bit more depth and competition.

Obviously we need to start winning soon - today's fine if poss, lads - but casting ahead slightly, I see a run of games in the month between the next international break and Christmas when we could really start putting points on the board, for whatever aim.

Sat Nov 16 H McDons (currently 19th)
Sat Nov 23 A Accy (20th)
[Sat Nov 30 - FA Cup second round, possibly]
Sat Dec 07 H Wimbledon (21st)
Sat Dec 14 A Peterborough (3rd)
Sat Dec 21 H Southend (22nd)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Yesterday told me this seasons nothing more than drifting to the inevitable. Funnily enough when you sign a load of players nobody else wanted (or people were willing to give you for free) they aren’t fit, and they are a bit shit.

Can’t lose sight of the fact that Ken’s failure to press the admin button prior to the March cut off (presumably to appease Shaun ‘lying c*nt’ Harvey) is the real villain. Stopped us having a clean break this summer, gave us the points deduction and ruined chances of decent recruitment.

But feck me this years gonna be shit again. We need some good luck to at least make a few games enjoyable from here on in.

What’s a realistic goal now? Positive points?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:33 pm

I don't know if it can be described as a goal as such, but what I'm hoping for now is a good January transfer window and a competitive second half of the season. For me, that's the big difference between last season's shitshow and our present predicament - because we're (hopefully) under new, competent and capable ownership there's light at the end of the tunnel, and this time around we might be able to rectify some of our problems halfway through the campaign.

I'm not bothered about how many points we finish with, except in the sense that the more often we win, the more points we'll have and so the more the better, nor am I bothered if we finish bottom of the league. I just want us to be functioning properly as a football club and to be playing well and winning often enough and scoring often enough so that when we have an upcoming match there's a reason to look forward to it.

Yesterday highlighted that with us currently having such a small number of first-team ready players, and with some of those first-team ready players out until the new year, we'll probably have to put up with being on the wrong end of results for a couple more months yet. But as frustrating as it is today, it's likely to get better once we've seen this last difficult period out.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:45 pm

Dibs, I was just wondering what a decent “result” for the season would now be. I’d still say a point per game over the rest of it. Have to get the winning habit back. And more importantly we have to go into next season more in expectation than hope. Some of this year’s squad could stay, finance permitting; kids could blossom; Hill and Flicker will have two more windows and a lot more prep time before those windows open. But if we don’t start winning at least one game in three, players won’t want to come and fans won’t be quite so enthused. I wonder how many STs we will sell?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:16 pm

I have no idea what a decent result for the season is now. This situation is fairly unprecedented (Pompey a few years ago perhaps?). To be still breaking shit records isn’t great. Need to turn us back into a football club rather than a circus soon though - tickets / fans. To get out of league two we will need 10,000 plus home fans and to be an attractive club for players good / too good for that level. Maybe that’s where we need to pitch in January, embargo allowing.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:57 pm

Crucially, when it comes to tempting people in this season and next, I think how we win matters just as much as how often. That's always true to an extent, but overall I get the impression that, now more than ever, people want to be entertained.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:02 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:57 pm
Crucially, when it comes to tempting people in this season and next, I think how we win matters just as much as how often. That's always true to an extent, but overall I get the impression that, now more than ever, people want to be entertained.
Unless you're a crazy masochist like bwfci!
The mind boggles as to how that lad gets his kicks away from football :shock:

Only kidding Insano.

On the point by Nicho, this should be a time for not worrying about results if there ever is one, but there's a difference between accepting bold tactics causing an occasional avoidable 4-3 away defeat, and defeat after defeat without looking like winning.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:44 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Not really. Winning matters. Winning and where you end up. Winning one game 1-0 is not getting you far, if you can do it enough times to go up - then great.

And same in reverse as LE says above. Losing the odd game 4-3 is ok. But playing in a way that leaves you constantly exposed especially as a game matures is not - if you end up losing most weeks. If we're honest under Hill we've come close to winning one game and that was Sunderland where through fitness we ended up with a backs to the wall type of performances. The rest we've pretty much not really looked like scoring or if we have - have looked very very open after doing so.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:15 pm

I can't agree with much of what's been said there. I'm enjoying going to games again. The football and performances have largely been fine.

I do think Pompey is a good comparison though. They cobbled together what sides they could when they came out of the other side of their shit storm. We're having to do the same. No way will L2 be a walkover for us in the same way that it wasn't for them. I hope not but we could be down there for a while.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:44 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Not really. Winning matters. Winning and where you end up. Winning one game 1-0 is not getting you far, if you can do it enough times to go up - then great.

And same in reverse as LE says above. Losing the odd game 4-3 is ok. But playing in a way that leaves you constantly exposed especially as a game matures is not - if you end up losing most weeks. If we're honest under Hill we've come close to winning one game and that was Sunderland where through fitness we ended up with a backs to the wall type of performances. The rest we've pretty much not really looked like scoring or if we have - have looked very very open after doing so.

It matters to you, but I've had plenty of conversations with people who, rightly or wrongly, had had enough of Parky's methods (I wasn't one of them).

I'm not suggesting we abandon all hope of winning in favour of playing more attractively, or that we don't need to win very soon to maintain attendance figures, but I think you'd be surprised how many people would accept winning slightly less often if it meant we played better football. Obviously, if we don't win often enough then people will stop going no matter how we try to play.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:40 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:44 am
nicholaldo wrote:

It matters to you, but I've had plenty of conversations with people who, rightly or wrongly, had had enough of Parky's methods (I wasn't one of them).

I'm not suggesting we abandon all hope of winning in favour of playing more attractively, or that we don't need to win very soon to maintain attendance figures, but I think you'd be surprised how many people would accept winning slightly less often if it meant we played better football. Obviously, if we don't win often enough then people will stop going no matter how we try to play.
See my issue is people are saying this now. How long does it last? Possibly a bit. Certainly not into next season. If we're losing games in league 2 - I will bet any money that a lot will just stop going and the atmosphere will turn sour.

That's my issue.