2019 pre-season chat - let’s pretend it’s all normal

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 2019 pre-season chat - let’s pretend it’s all normal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:57 am

New mf transfer target according to Nixon. Celtic, West Ham and Everton also rumoured to be interested.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:03 pm

Really pleased to see the Preston game has been cancelled. Should stop the players burning out and keep them fresh for season start.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:07 pm

jimbo wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:03 pm
Really pleased to see the Preston game has been cancelled. Should stop the players burning out and keep them fresh for season start.
We can also recycle the half time sandwiches and pies to the various Bolton food banks in town... Win win... :D
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:08 pm

jimbo wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:03 pm
Agreed. Certainly worked last season when the St Mirren game was cancelled. Why change a winning formula?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:00 am

As we often get beat in pre-season friendlies, working to a "plan" that is only obvious to the manager, I'm feeling a LOT better about our team from this pre-season. It's going to be great, going into the season undefeated.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:52 pm

I think we are on target to join Bon Accord in the Guinness Book of World Records. Won't it be great for all you youngsters out there to tell your grandchildren the story of the 2019 season when you witnessed the first and only ever deficit of points for a league finish.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:13 pm

I'm hearing rumours that the hotel (Whites) new season's bedsheets will come with a preprinted pitchfork motif, and all hotel (Whites) guests will get a complimentary bucket of tar, and a packet of safety matches.

On match weekends only though... It's the all-inclusive package.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:39 pm

Good day today. We’ve got opponents too scared to face us and pulling out of games and we’ve now completed a pre season with the fewest defeats I can remember.

We’ve also got a real people person meeting the fans outside the ground as I type. He’s ready to throw cash at us and propel us back into the big time!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Ok - York was a blip. Back to winning ways today with a 2-1 win against Bradford. We're going to rock this Division.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:33 pm
Ok - York was a blip. Back to winning ways today with a 2-1 win against Bradford. We're going to rock this Division.
Yeppp...

Which division though?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm

As long as we rock one of 'em - doesn't matter! We musta been playing a lot of kids and these were L1 last season :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm
As long as we rock one of 'em - doesn't matter! We musta been playing a lot of kids and these were L1 last season :-)
The team on twitter isn't full of kids to be fair. Lots of senior pros.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Iles: "Best I can tell, the #bwfc line up was: Matthews, Brockbank, Wheater, Adam Thompson, Boon, O’Neil (!), Oztumer, Lowe, Murphy, Politic, Magennis. Second half subs included Conway, Pringle and Zouma."

Forgot about (player of the year) Gaz O'Neil - could definitely do a job in L1.

Also good to see the wantaways playing. Might as well, I suppose, but it all helps.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Who is Boon?

Let’s say those players are all here in 2 weeks...not that bad. Lacks width and a left back (which is Boon I am assuming). Couple of wingers and a goal scorer and we could be in business...
Last edited by officer_dibble on Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:46 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Iles: "Best I can tell, the #bwfc line up was: Matthews, Brockbank, Wheater, Adam Thompson, Boon, O’Neil (!), Oztumer, Lowe, Murphy, Politic, Magennis. Second half subs included Conway, Pringle and Zouma."

Also good to see the wantaways playing. Might as well, I suppose, but it all helps.
I would cautiously suggest that the players featuring here is a good sign - although seems a number played in the last behind closed doors game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I would cautiously suggest that the players featuring here is a good sign - although seems a number played in the last behind closed doors game.
I might also suggest I find it interesting that they're willing to risk injury in behind-closed-doors games (twice) but not to play in public. Kinda raises questions over Parky's morning quotes via Iles:
First of all, the lads did not do that [refuse to play a friendly or two] anticipating that their actions are going to speed up the takeover process. The reason they are concerned is that they are all worried about their futures. They are worried, as players, as to what would happen if the takeover didn’t go through. They are worried about playing in a game and risking injury when they haven’t been paid for 20 weeks. And let’s be honest, at this stage there is no cast iron guarantee when that will change. It isn’t like they are stamping their feet and saying ‘we want to be paid’ – it is more a case of protecting themselves, going forward, until the situation is sorted.

That is not true at all [that it's about Ken getting paid before they do]. It is purely down to their concern that the takeover could go on longer. It has been well-publicised that players have got other clubs lined-up and it’s difficult to risk that in a competitive game where you could get injured. People are getting to the stage where they could lose their ability to earn money to pay the bills etc.
Yes, a BCD game isn't *as* competitive. But still...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:12 pm

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I might also suggest I find it interesting that they're willing to risk injury in behind-closed-doors games (twice) but not to play in public. Kinda raises questions over Parky's morning quotes via Iles:
First of all, the lads did not do that [refuse to play a friendly or two] anticipating that their actions are going to speed up the takeover process. The reason they are concerned is that they are all worried about their futures. They are worried, as players, as to what would happen if the takeover didn’t go through. They are worried about playing in a game and risking injury when they haven’t been paid for 20 weeks. And let’s be honest, at this stage there is no cast iron guarantee when that will change. It isn’t like they are stamping their feet and saying ‘we want to be paid’ – it is more a case of protecting themselves, going forward, until the situation is sorted.

That is not true at all [that it's about Ken getting paid before they do]. It is purely down to their concern that the takeover could go on longer. It has been well-publicised that players have got other clubs lined-up and it’s difficult to risk that in a competitive game where you could get injured. People are getting to the stage where they could lose their ability to earn money to pay the bills etc.
Yes, a BCD game isn't *as* competitive. But still...
Perhaps coincidence? I note the last behind scenes game was just an hour before Quantuma released their statement on hotel that supposedly angered players.

And perhaps today's friendly was on the back of staff at the club receiving positive news yesterday..............................................................

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bit of a cop out to only have the defenders match up against Donaldson.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
How shit must Bradford be? :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:27 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
How shit must Bradford be? :shock:
They're fxcking Awesome!

(you haven't quite grasped the concept of this thread yet, Bruce :wink: )
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください