Parkinson Leaves

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Parkinson Leaves

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Parky on 5 Live
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:55 pm
Parky on 5 Live
Hope he was open and honest, especially about the cnut Anderson!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:15 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:59 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Parky on 5 Live
Think it was more for the he general public. Nothing we haven't heard a 100 times. Not worth looking up tbh.
I wish him well, but haven't fully subscribed to the 'Saint Phil' stuff precisely because he's never once criticised Anderson, yet has been his apologist at times.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:20 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:15 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:59 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Parky on 5 Live
Think it was more for the he general public. Nothing we haven't heard a 100 times. Not worth looking up tbh.
I wish him well, but haven't fully subscribed to the 'Saint Phil' stuff precisely because he's never once criticised Anderson, yet has been his apologist at times.

It'll be in his book, I telz ya. And there really is a book in Parkinson. Better / more interesting than Garry Nelson's, even.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:08 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:20 pm
It'll be in his book, I telz ya. And there really is a book in Parkinson. Better / more interesting than Garry Nelson's, even.
Depends on how much he wants to say, and how good his ghost-writer is at getting it out of him. Like I say, Colin Todd’s book was soporific, both about the good times and bad.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:17 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:08 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Depends on how much he wants to say, and how good his ghost-writer is at getting it out of him. Like I say, Colin Todd’s book was soporific, both about the good times and bad.
Hardly surprising that Todd was no great literary raconteur!
The worst book I ever read was Peter Shilton's. My dad's sister had a habit of buying him shit Christmas presents, which he would ignore. I decided to read it while bored, and made myself infinitely more so.
It was a marginally better present than the 'Best of Roger Whittaker' cassette he'd previously received though.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:08 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Paid £1 for a copy and feel I was massively overcharged.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Indeed you did. However, I wouldn't really have expected much else from a chap who gave every TV interview by trotting out the platitudes whilst fiddling with his wedding ring and looking at the floor.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:08 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Indeed you did. However, I wouldn't really have expected much else from a chap who gave every TV interview by trotting out the platitudes whilst fiddling with his wedding ring and looking at the floor.
This much is true, but despite his recent hair-pulling it's hardly as if Parky has a Cloughesque spellbinding screen presence. I mean, he obviously inspires great loyalty, but so does God and his book's crap too. :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Cloughesque! Cloughesque? Cloughistic, Shirley.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:06 pm

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:48 am
I look forward to 20,000 home gates now as all those who said they'll never come again flood back in :D
They mustn’t have heard. Attendance of 5,454, of which 760 were away fans. 4k home gates: we’re back to the 80s.

In all seriousness I understand why some have stayed away but well done to those that did go today.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:50 am

Parky on bin-lid TV tonight. The one where Holloway blamed the EU for VAR. I doubt he'll say anything that repeatable.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:54 am

He'll say nothing he's not already said. He doesn't exactly do bombshell interviews.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:11 pm

His last couple of post match interviews were pretty explosive. But yeah, a week off, he’s probably been away and chilled, will fancy a job at a club who might pay him once in a while. So I suspect he will keep it chairman friendly.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:37 pm

Sounds like he has the Sunderland job. Deserves it. Of course delusions of grandeur mean he ain’t fancied up there...

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:53 am

How on earth has he managed that ?, I wish him well and he's a decent man and all that and he could probably grind out some decent 1-0 results with them and possibly get them into the play offs - but I'm sorry I wouldn't wish Parkinson's dour, boring, long ball, anti football on any one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:53 am
How on earth has he managed that ?, I wish him well and he's a decent man and all that and he could probably grind out some decent 1-0 results with them and possibly get them into the play offs - but I'm sorry I wouldn't wish Parkinson's dour, boring, long ball, anti football on any one.
He got us up out of league one. I suspect that's what Sunderland want.

I'll say this - we needed a fresh start and Hill has done well. But Parky will always be a hero to me for what he did here - he stopped our slide down the divisions and managed to keep us up - a ridiculous achievement with that squad.

I would applaud him if he came back with another side any day of any week.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:38 am

He got us out of league 1 with easily the 2nd best team / squad in the division, and it would have been a disaster with that team if he didn't - and come on be honest he almost managed to screw that up, we had about 4 or 5 decent games all season against inferior opposition and the majority of games (even in the season we went up) were absolutely dour to watch - remember the fans the year we stayed up in the championship getting on the pitch at Burton away trying to get at Parkinson in the dug out because it was possibly the most dour, uninspiring performance in recent memory.

BWFCI we all know that your quite unique being his no1 fan & we know he's your hero (I'm sure that you are related to PP btw), so you would say what you say and you are perfectly entitled to it - however I doubt that there are any BWFC fans (apart from you) who would want him back here regardless of what league we are in - his football or anti non football was awful to watch & if you took your blinkers off you would admit that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:48 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:38 am
He got us out of league 1 with easily the 2nd best team / squad in the division, and it would have been a disaster with that team if he didn't - and come on be honest he almost managed to screw that up, we had about 4 or 5 decent games all season against inferior opposition and the majority of games (even in the season we went up) were absolutely dour to watch - remember the fans the year we stayed up in the championship getting on the pitch at Burton away trying to get at Parkinson in the dug out because it was possibly the most dour, uninspiring performance in recent memory.

BWFCI we all know that your quite unique being his no1 fan & we know he's your hero (I'm sure that you are related to PP btw), so you would say what you say and you are perfectly entitled to it - however I doubt that there are any BWFC fans (apart from you) who would want him back here regardless of what league we are in - his football or anti non football was awful to watch & if you took your blinkers off you would admit that.
What's the evidence for that? Those players in that squad - as far as I can tell only one (and he was a 6 month loan) is regularly playing above league one level. The rest are in the reserves or league one or worse....

As for fans - you'll find plenty who will applaud him - and plenty who like me do not think he worked much other than miracles here. Was his football attacking free flowing stuff? No. But he got results - just like Allardyce. The fans who jump up and down and moan about managers always shout the loudest - just like Sunderland fans who don't want him. But I know 2 Sunderland ST holders who are delighted if he joins - they just aren't screaming about it online.

Frankly I'm results first. I don't really care how we win so long as we do.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:00 am

Take your blinkers off for once, only Sheff Utd had a better squad than us the season we went up from League 1 - most Bolton fans will applaud him for the way he handled himself under difficult circumstances, but very few will for the football we had to watch.

Look I'm not getting into an argument about Parkinson and this will be my last post on this topic as I'm not wasting anymore time discussing him, most BWFC fans are very happy that he's gone and would not want him back under any circumstances & as I said I wouldn't wish his football on my worst enemy - the football was turgid and you know it. His coaching was concentrated entirely on defence he didn't have a clue how to set the team up to attack teams.

Good luck to him, I wish him well he's a very decent man.