What is our best starting eleven?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

What is our best starting eleven?

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Inspired by the theorising about the potential shape and personnel of our midfield under Hill in another thread, I thought it might be a good idea to start a separate thread specifically to discuss how we think he'll set us up, or how we'd like him to set us up, or what we think our best starting eleven could be.

Obviously, no matter what formation we play, certain players, by dint of talent or experience, effectively pick themselves – Wright will be one of our centre-backs, Bridcutt will be somewhere in midfield, and Darryl Murphy will be the (quite probably lone) centre-forward. But that still leaves plenty of room for speculation.

A rudimentary search suggests Hill's preferred formation is 4-3-3. Based on this, I'm working on the far from certain basis that that's the formation he'll look to play on Saturday, and possibly for the foreseeable future. Bunney was likely pencilled in to be the starting eleven's fourth certain-starter at left-back, but now that he won't be fit enough to play for a while, and with expected second-choice left-back Earl out injured, that presents us with a problem in that position. Joe White put in a couple of commendable performances in the opening matches, although those same performances also proved he still has some distance to travel in his development before he can be properly considered first-team ready. Ditto, it would appear, Jordan Boon.

Perhaps putting either of them in there with experienced players near them might be worth a go, but if Hill does play a 4-3-3 then ideally I'd prefer us to find an alternative resolution. That particular formation is very demanding of full-backs, and could well be asking too much of our promising teenage prospects. If it were my decision, I think I'd ask Emmanuel to do a job there, with Brockbank, a player who still much has learning to do but who I rate highly, at right-back. Any other player at left-back and I suspect we'd probably have to change the formation to something less adventurous. Rounding off the defensive structure, Hobbs will clearly be alongside Wright, and I'm anticipating Matthews will continue as the goalkeeper.

The central midfield offers quite a few different possibilities and is, therefore, more difficult to predict. As stated above, I feel certain Bridcutt will be one of the three and, that being the case, the most creative and expansive trio we could likely go with would be a three of Weir, Bridcutt, and Crawford. Although I acknowledge that Hill has a reputation for encouraging his teams to play expansively, I doubt he'll be quite so bold for the first match, especially with it being away. In time though, it might be a combination he goes with when we have home advantage.

Considering I think Luke Murphy's days are numbered under Hill, and considering he's the club captain, I expect Lowe will be in there. And I'm betting that it'll be Crawford who completes the triumvirate, which would be harsh on Weir because in my opinion he's been one of our better performers.

Setting sights further forward, given the fact that they've worked together well previously, and that the new management team were quick to re-sign him but not the other free agents we had training with us, I suspect Buckley will be one of the two wingers. Not only is he familiar to Hill and Flitcroft, but he offers a willingness to work hard and an experience to the opposing wing's probable inexperience.

Moving onto the opposing wing, my gut instinct tells me that the man in pole position to take that place long term is Verlinden. He would appear, to me, to be something of a wildcard with quite a bit of raw attacking ability which could mean that he needs taming slightly, but equally, he could well end up being the kind of explosive force which causes the opposition problems. The two other candidates for this position – and I've found it's the hardest one to predict confidently – are Weir and Politic. From what I've seen and heard about him, Politic might be at a similar enough developmental stage and offer a similar kind of threat as Verlinden, but he seems, in my opinion, better suited to playing centrally rather than out wide. Despite thinking Verlinden is currently best-placed to eventually hold this spot, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hill opted for Weir instead this weekend, primarily because it's away from home, but also because of the situation at full-back.

So then, for Saturday, I'm going to guess that we'll line up as follows:

Matthews

Brockbank, Hobbs, Wright, Emmanuel

Bridcutt, Lowe, Crawford

Weir, Murphy, Buckley

As the season goes on our best starting eleven might, at its most adventurous, end up looking something like:

Matthews

Emmanuel, Hobbs, Wright, Bunney

Weir, Bridcutt, Crawford

Verlinden, Murphy, Buckley

Frankly, though, there's so much yet to be revealed that it could be anything. Will Hill definitely play a 4-3-3? Will he have more faith in our young players? Will he be the sort of manager to bring O'Grady on with ten minutes to play to protect a lead? Will he play Buckley centrally? Will he turn Luke Murphy's fortunes around?

Thoughts?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What is our best starting eleven?

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Ps. I apologise for the long stream of consciousness.

TL;DR - what do you think our best starting eleven is/will be? And how do you think we'll line up on Saturday?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 am

Don’t have to apologise for a well-written, thoughtful post... especially as I agree with most of it :)

Not that I’m rooted to my views: I genuinely hope to see this different Weir that you and BWFCi have seen to the lad I saw treading water at Wycombe and Gillingham. He’s in a funny spot, much older than the kids, and needs to establish himself. Good luck to him.

One thing to note is that we really haven’t got much “senior” squad to play with, so there’ll be kids on the bench. Politic and Brockbank have a case for inclusion, with Darcy and Zouma (maybe King Harmes) not far behind. That’s another balance for Hill - would sitting on the bench every week help or harm them?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:44 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 am
Don’t have to apologise for a well-written, thoughtful post... especially as I agree with most of it :)

Not that I’m rooted to my views: I genuinely hope to see this different Weir that you and BWFCi have seen to the lad I saw treading water at Wycombe and Gillingham. He’s in a funny spot, much older than the kids, and needs to establish himself. Good luck to him.

One thing to note is that we really haven’t got much “senior” squad to play with, so there’ll be kids on the bench. Politic and Brockbank have a case for inclusion, with Darcy and Zouma (maybe King Harmes) not far behind. That’s another balance for Hill - would sitting on the bench every week help or harm them?
I'd not rule out Politic from starting. He, Zouma, Edwards when fit, Brockbank should IMHO be considered part of the first team squad this season. Though I don't think any of them are the best prospect we have in the youngsters......

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:23 am

I know it's nof helpful or interesting, but I have to admit I have absolutely no idea at all what our strongest starting lineup is!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 am

I'd forgotten about Darryl Murphy. In Nics well reasoned post I thought he'd put Luke Murphy in as a target man!

Total guesswork here but I'll plump for a starting line up of;

Matthews

Brockbank Wright Hobbs Emmanuel

Lowe Murphy L Bridcutt

Verlinden Buckley

Murphy D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:25 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:23 am
I know it's nof helpful or interesting, but I have to admit I have absolutely no idea at all what our strongest starting lineup is!
Hanson, Ball, Banks, Wheeler, Barrass, Bell, Holden Moir, Lofthouse, Hassall, Langton.
Would take this league to pieces... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:25 pm
taddyontoast wrote:
Hanson, Ball, Banks, Wheeler, Barrass, Bell, Holden Moir, Lofthouse, Hassall, Langton.
Would take this league to pieces... :wink:

that'll do me!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:51 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Nor I, by dint of me not having a clue who anyone is or what they do. I'm genuinely amazed by some of the fonts on here who claim to know our strongest 11 by playing computer games and whatnot.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:51 pm
taddyontoast wrote:
Nor I, by dint of me not having a clue who anyone is or what they do. I'm genuinely amazed by some of the fonts on here who claim to know our strongest 11 by playing computer games and whatnot.
Aye.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Matthews
Brockbank (c) Wright Zouma Emmanuel
Weir Bridcutt
Buckley
Verlinden Crawford
D. Murphy

Subs: Alnwick, Hobbs, Politic, L. Murphy, Lowe, O'Grady
Pfffft.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
taddyontoast wrote:
Aye.
I'd never heard of any of them!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
taddyontoast wrote:
Or are making educated guesses by doing research. :P

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:56 pm

We got a new and enthusiastic manager with experience. Just got to trust his judgement. In the words of Chief Crazy Horse (who needs to get his lucky red pony back in his posts).."It'll be reet!"...... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
taddyontoast wrote:
Guesses, educated or otherwise, being the key word. How a player's got on somewhere else is hardly a solid indicator as to how he'll get on amongst a collection of complete strangers, in an as of yet unspecified position under a new manager. Tell you what, I'll wait a few weeks before naming what I believe my strongest side. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to those already proffered :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:02 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:35 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
taddyontoast wrote:
Guesses, educated or otherwise, being the key word. How a player's got on somewhere else is hardly a solid indicator as to how he'll get on amongst a collection of complete strangers, in an as of yet unspecified position under a new manager. Tell you what, I'll wait a few weeks before naming what I believe my strongest side. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to those already proffered :D
Aye, fair enough. And maybe next June you can tell us how we’ll do this season :wink:

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:30 am

There is 1 player who I would like to make the starting Eleven, and that's Denis Politic. He is an exciting player to watch, saw him play a couple of years ago in the youth team and thought the same then. Yes, he's still young but hopefully will gain experience in the 1st team as he (hopefully) plays more.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:21 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
taddyontoast wrote:
Frankly its just a relief to be talking football again!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 am

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 am

Re Weir: You can add the Ipswich game to that. Based on the Ipswich and Gilingham games he would be lucky to make the bench going forward.

I think we have a real issue now at left back. I can't see a solution for that position based on our current squad until Earl is fit. Hill seems to like progressive football with lots of possession, which usually means attacking, energetic full backs, so I don't see Brockbank being used at full back. So possibly Lowe and Emmanuel as full backs with perhaps the more experienced Lowe out of position? Politic is a real talent imho, and being match fit, might retain his place.

So I'll have a stab at:

Matthwes

Emmanuel
Hobbs
Wright
Lowe

Bridcutt
Murphy (L)
Crawford

Verlinden / Politic
Buckley
Murphy (D)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:21 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
taddyontoast wrote:
Frankly its just a relief to be talking football again!
Very true. Think I've just got out of the habit 😉