Jack fell down and Hill came tumbling after. Sunderland @ Home. 21/09/2019 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Jack fell down and Hill came tumbling after. Sunderland @ Home. 21/09/2019 3pm

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:28 pm
Jugs wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:15 pm
Shocking decision to handle the ball when there was no danger.
Like he made the decision to handle a ball that was twatted at him from three feet away? Reet oh !!!
He stuck his hand out mate.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Jack fell down and Hill came tumbling after. Sunderland @ Home. 21/09/2019 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:53 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 pm
Did anybody spot a bit of aggro between Zouma and (I think) Emmanuel at the final whistle? Zouma looked gutted at FT, to be fair. Hope he bounces back, because he's shown an awful lot of promise thus far
Let’s be honest he’s got loads to learn. Reckless at times. And positionally all over the show. Edwards when fit is a better bet I think.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:58 pm

Still looks a clear penalty to me after several viewings. Zouma still has lots to learn but he and Edwards have both shown enough imo to suggest they could be our regular centre halves in the future.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:13 am

Two-game unbeaten run. I had to look up when that last happened. It wasn’t 2019.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:27 pm
So it is exactly as I saw it. Way harsh. It's hit at him from three feet away and his arms are by his sides. fecking shocking decision.

No, apparently he scooped it up.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:56 am

Christ that's never a handball. :evil: Hill's not done well criticizing him publicly too.

And the way all those arms flew up from Sunderland. I really hate what football has become sometimes. Bunch of squealing girls... win the game on your own; quit bothering the f*cking ref.

Rant over. Proud of a point. If we keep this up we'll be steadying the ship a hell of a lot quicker than anyone expected.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:50 am

Jugs wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:28 pm
Jugs wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:15 pm
Shocking decision to handle the ball when there was no danger.
Like he made the decision to handle a ball that was twatted at him from three feet away? Reet oh !!!
He stuck his hand out mate.
You're seeing something I'm not.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 am

He didn’t stick his hand out. But I do think he moved his body towards the ball. It wasn’t like it was a shot fired at him the ball was just chipped in the air. In fairness I think sometimes he’d have got away with it but if I’m honest I’d have been annoyed if we didn’t get a decision like that in reverse.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:08 am

Handball rule is weird isn't it. Quite a lot of the time I think the angle it comes off affects whether it "looks" like handball or not. If it bounces off normally and your arms are by your side then you tend to get away with it. If it goes inside your arm between your body and behind you, or rolls down your arm you tend not to, despite none of that being in the rules or guidance.

I'm far from convinced by Zouma but harsh to criticise him for that. Can definitely see an argument that it isn't a penalty but it is one of those that "looks" like handball and I'd have been screaming for us to get it at the other end.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:28 am

OK I've seen the replays now - maybe he didn't stick his hand out but I still think it's hand ball. Either way, I'd be pissed if Bolton didn't get a pen for the same thing.

It's still a good point. Might feel a bit chastening at the moment but we're getting better each week

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:29 am

I enjoyed it yesterday. It's nice to watch us play out from the back now we have players good enough to do it, and the football on show was some of the best we've produced for a long time. As the second half wore on though, and our energy levels began to drop, we had no one of any real quality to bring on from the bench. They did, and dominated the latter stages as a result. Unfortunately, I have a suspicion that that might become something of a regular occurence, and that a lack of squad depth might in the end be what costs us this season.

But nevermind that, we've arrived at the party at last. Supporting us now feels much more like what supporting a football club should feel like.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:35 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:09 pm
Did anybody spot a bit of aggro between Zouma and (I think) Emmanuel at the final whistle? Zouma looked gutted at FT, to be fair. Hope he bounces back, because he's shown an awful lot of promise thus far

I noticed some squaring up between Zouma and one of theirs, but not between Zouma and Emmanuel. Could it not just have been that Emmanuel was trying to pull him away?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:38 am

Ps. I love that they have a player called Max Power. What a name that is.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:58 am

Quite a few players out injured and as they return I suspect the bench will get stronger.

It's so refreshing to be talking about the football again.

I can't believe the difference in both Jason Lowe and Will Buckley.

As a side note.. the goal celebration by Hobbs made my chuckle.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:39 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:08 am
Handball rule is weird isn't it. Quite a lot of the time I think the angle it comes off affects whether it "looks" like handball or not. If it bounces off normally and your arms are by your side then you tend to get away with it. If it goes inside your arm between your body and behind you, or rolls down your arm you tend not to, despite none of that being in the rules or guidance.

I'm far from convinced by Zouma but harsh to criticise him for that. Can definitely see an argument that it isn't a penalty but it is one of those that "looks" like handball and I'd have been screaming for us to get it at the other end.
You're right about the angles. Wasn't there but first watch on screen I thought definitive penalty. And every footballer in the world would be claiming a penalty for their team, so I wouldn't be criticising Sunderland players.
Don't think he could've got out of the way, but his body movement towards the ball is with his arm first even by his side.
In conclusion, I've no fecking idea!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 am

Although I will add he was very unlucky and shouldn't be criticised in any way for that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:29 am
I enjoyed it yesterday. It's nice to watch us play out from the back now we have players good enough to do it, and the football on show was some of the best we've produced for a long time. As the second half wore on though, and our energy levels began to drop, we had no one of any real quality to bring on from the bench. They did, and dominated the latter stages as a result. Unfortunately, I have a suspicion that that might become something of a regular occurence, and that a lack of squad depth might in the end be what costs us this season.

But nevermind that, we've arrived at the party at last. Supporting us now feels much more like what supporting a football club should feel like.
I mean half our team isn’t fit. So once they are I don’t think we fade like we did. We also have no genuine fit striker. So once we do...

Squad size is small and supplemented by youth but then that’s the same for half a dozen sides in this league.

We have in my view no chance of staying up. If we didn’t receive any further points deductions then we might have a small chance. But we know we will get some more and that will be that. As it stands we need 6 or 7 more wins than some average sides. Possible. Once you stretch that to needing 8/9/10 more wins out of 35 or so games that’s pretty much not happening.

The aim this season is to become competitive again and win some games. Then mount a promotion charge next season. Early signs are promising but for me new management team will be judged next season.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:12 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 am
Although I will add he was very unlucky and shouldn't be criticised in any way for that.
Just seen Hill's comments. Gone from happy-clappy 'the score doesn't matter' to publicly slagging off a young player for a debatable mistake.
Great that he's got them playing but I really need to avoid listening to or reading anything he says.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:29 am

I mean half our team isn’t fit. So once they are I don’t think we fade like we did. We also have no genuine fit striker. So once we do...

Squad size is small and supplemented by youth but then that’s the same for half a dozen sides in this league.

We have in my view no chance of staying up. If we didn’t receive any further points deductions then we might have a small chance. But we know we will get some more and that will be that. As it stands we need 6 or 7 more wins than some average sides. Possible. Once you stretch that to needing 8/9/10 more wins out of 35 or so games that’s pretty much not happening.

The aim this season is to become competitive again and win some games. Then mount a promotion charge next season. Early signs are promising but for me new management team will be judged next season.

I'm not as convinced as you are that we can accommodate as many injuries and suspensions as the rest. Bridcutt is integral to the way we play and we have no proper replacement for him. Wright and Hobbs are our first choice centre-back pairing, but if one of them faces an extended period out injured, we probably have to rely on Liam Edwards continuing to fulfill his early promise or Earl being capable of making the shift over from left-back. And similarly, the centre-forward you refer to is a 36-year-old who has picked up one injury already. When we have to play Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday, how often will he be able to do it?

Make no mistake though, I'm very much enjoying watching us function properly again. I just hope the recent positivity and understanding doesn't disappear if performances begin to wane as we get into November and December.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:04 pm

I personally disagree with giving Zouma a free pass on this one. Me and my mate said when Zouma came on that he's got a mistake in him. He needs to sort that stuff out and be more consistent. Apparently, he was error-strewn for the U23s as well. I've also read that Hill blasted him for not being ready to come on when he was called upon.