Jack fell down and Hill came tumbling after. Sunderland @ Home. 21/09/2019 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Jack fell down and Hill came tumbling after. Sunderland @ Home. 21/09/2019 3pm

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:51 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:58 pm
I see also that we've narrowed the pitch, thus encouraging technical ability.
Interesting, good spot - but AFAIK you can't do that mid-season, you have to do it beforehand. Which (if true) means it must've been Parky's say?
Well, I did wonder that. Yesterday was my first visit to the Bok this season, so I was wondering when it was done. It's a good two or three metres narrower on either side, and it looks shorter too.
Maybe less pitch to cover for the youth that started the season? Also longer balls.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Jack fell down and Hill came tumbling after. Sunderland @ Home. 21/09/2019 3pm

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:24 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Interesting, good spot - but AFAIK you can't do that mid-season, you have to do it beforehand. Which (if true) means it must've been Parky's say?
Well, I did wonder that. Yesterday was my first visit to the Bok this season, so I was wondering when it was done. It's a good two or three metres narrower on either side, and it looks shorter too.
And if you're wanting teams to play technically you'd also make it bigger, not smaller!

So boo to long ball Parky!!
Would you feck. Technically gifted players are those who you can't get the ball off in 5-a-side, not those who punt it down the flank and hare after it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:49 pm

Yes, good footballers are harder to play against than bad ones.

You make the pitch bigger and they'd absolutely annihilate you. It's not a coincidence that the Nou Camp, Etihad, Emirates, Wembley are all huge. Emirates was designed to be built so it could have the huge pitch (unlike Highbury which was too small).

Tight pitch you can get in among those players nick touches, fouls, and then when you get it you can chuck it in the box from wherever. You play on a big pitch where they've got space and you get pasted.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:49 pm
Yes, good footballers are harder to play against than bad ones.

You make the pitch bigger and they'd absolutely annihilate you. It's not a coincidence that the Nou Camp, Etihad, Emirates, Wembley are all huge. Emirates was designed to be built so it could have the huge pitch (unlike Highbury which was too small).

Tight pitch you can get in among those players nick touches, fouls, and then when you get it you can chuck it in the box from wherever. You play on a big pitch where they've got space and you get pasted.
I had this exact same conversation with Jimmy Phillips some years ago when we were discussing the technical merits of Michael Johansen, and how people held this view that players of his technical ability should thrive on bigger pitches. He agreed with me. Hmm, not sure Liam Brady suffered because Highbury was too small. I believe that Anfield is currently the smallest pitch in the premier league. Wembley is nothing other than a showground.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:40 pm

Coaches that prefer possession-based football, like Guardiola, want space when in possession. At least, this is something he's spoken about. When they're out of possession, they narrow the pitch and make it congested.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:20 am

Just watched the penalty again  - pause it as it hits his hand. Its harsh for me - I think the way the ball runs and way he spins round does him absolutely no favours. It makes it look deliberate. But when you watch and pause at moment of impact - I'm not sure its deliberate. When I watched initially at full speed - it looks deliberate. But I'm not so sure seeing it paused.

Also not a criticism as he was knackered - but the penalty wouldn't have happened had Crawford not let his man run past him in midfield. Just shows how tiredness really affected it. And a lack of fresh legs on the bench that Hill had trust in.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I can't be arsed looking, but I'm sure last season tat we had the minimum sized pitch dimensions in the Championship and that League 1/2 are allowed smaller pitch dimensions than Champo - So we have probably gone for the minimum again. Good move really. Less square meters to cover during a match.

If we were miles better and fitter than everybody, you'd want it as big as you get - But big pitches get you relegated if you're not that good. Just ask Port Vale
Last edited by boltonboris on Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:41 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:19 pm
I can't be arsed looking, but I'm sure last season tat we had the minimum sized pitch dimensions in the Championship and that League 1/2 are allowed smaller pitch dimensions than Champo - So we have probably gone for the minimum again. Good move really. Less square meters to cover during a match.
Interesting concept but the rules don't seem to indicate a difference per tier

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... 4---clubs/
13.1 The dimension of the field of play for all League organised matches shall be as follows:

Maximum length 120yds (110 metres)

Minimum length 110yds (100 metres)

Maximum width 80yds (75 metres)

Minimum width 70yds (64 metres)

13.2 Clubs must register their pitch dimensions with The League prior to the start of each Season. It will be misconduct on the part of a Club to alter its pitch dimensions during a Season without the prior written consent of The League, which consent will only be given in exceptional circumstances. The League may at any time require a Club to submit a report from a qualified independent source certifying the pitch dimensions.
On the playing style thing - it makes sense to an extent that better "touch" players will excel on small pitches, which also somewhat negate the benefits of kick-and-run muscularity. But shrinking it was probably, as Boris suggests, a "reactive" Parkinson decision to give his defence less room to cover.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Loving some of the skill on show in the clips I'm.seeing online. Great to see Hill giving wingers the freedom to express themselves. Only been to the Gillingham game so far, looking forward to seeing the new team play. Despite looking forward to some southern games, unfortunately I'll miss Portsmouth as I'll be in North Yorkshire. Annoying.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:09 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:46 pm
Loving some of the skill on show in the clips I'm.seeing online. Great to see Hill giving wingers the freedom to express themselves. Only been to the Gillingham game so far, looking forward to seeing the new team play. Despite looking forward to some southern games, unfortunately I'll miss Portsmouth as I'll be in North Yorkshire. Annoying.
Aye, North Yorkshire gets on my tits too.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:32 pm

😁

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:09 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
You can't discriminate in this day and age, ANY Yorkshire gets on mine :shock:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:19 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:11 pm
Enoch wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:09 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
You can't discriminate in this day and age, ANY Yorkshire gets on mine :shock:

Fair point.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:18 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Haha I'd had a few pre-match beers and have to admit that I don't remember any of those skills on the day :lol: Great to watch back now, though!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:43 am

Any of the Saturday match-goers hear any filth being sung about Gary Speed by the Cats supporters that the papers are reporting this morning? Apparently an investigation is underway?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:09 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:43 am
Any of the Saturday match-goers hear any filth being sung about Gary Speed by the Cats supporters that the papers are reporting this morning? Apparently an investigation is underway?
Nope. That said, I can't understand a word they're saying/singing anyway.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:48 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Didn't hear it and I was in the ESL near the screen.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:52 am

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:53 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
It was sung by a few lads on a coach on the way down not at the actual game

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Shame shame shame, of course, but what the feck has it got to do with the police?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.