No Jackett Required - Portsmouth (A), 3:00pm, 28 September

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: No Jackett Required - Portsmouth (A), 3:00pm, 28 September

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 am

Indeed. His distribution is his weakness.
Interesting. Historically I'd agree, but then I can't remember us having a keeper with sound distribution since Jim McDonagh could throw it to the halfway-line.

I thought that Matthews' distribution against Sunderland was pretty much excellent - something that the new management team have clearly picked him up on; Playing it out short and making sure it went to one of ours if he had to hit it further.

I'm sick to the back teeth of watching our keepers knocking it up to the other side's centre halves.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 am

Indeed. His distribution is his weakness.
I'm sick to the back teeth of watching our keepers knocking it up to the other side's centre halves.
This was hit home to me in the warm-up on Saturday. Pompey’s reserve goalkeeper stood between our penalty arc and the centre circle while their No.1 practised battering his drop-kicks straight down the middle. I felt relief that our players were nearby practising one- and two-touch football.

I didn’t really explain it in my Pompey notes but there is a genuine attacking intent from just about every player. Whereas previously a safety-first mentality tended to make most passes either sideways or punted forward, all our players now seek the 10-yard forward diagonals that are the hallmark of a pass and move team. It doesn’t always work but when it does it’s splendid and even when it doesn’t the intent is heart-warming.

I defended Parkinson more than most and I still think he overachieved but it doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the new ethos.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23-I-nM ... e=youtu.be

Hill piles in again on our young lads. I personally agree with everything he says here. I don't know what our "environment is like" but he's right - if you want to make it you've got to show at 17/18 you are ready and better than the senior lads. No good being 21 and having barely played any proper football. But I also agree there is no point playing them when they aren't showing the readiness or desire or mentality to play in that first team.

Feels like this is a very much needed culture change - it might be a shock to the youth system but I think that shock has been long overdue at BWFC.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:37 pm

He says a lot of good things there. The standards and expectations he's placing on the young players I think will only stand them in good stead. I suspect previous managers have thought much the same thing privately, but perhaps decided to give up on promoting youth rather than focus their efforts on improving them, or perhaps their ideas and methods to that end were counterproductive (Jamie Fullarton was reportedly something of a hard taskmaster but all he ever seemed to do was alienate people).

It's also interesting to hear him talk so openly about the approach to matches, even if he sounds like a cross between Peter Kay and David Brent when he does it, and even if I'm still concerned that when things aren't as harmonious as they are now that same openness might be a problem.

And one very minor thing, I note that he conducts his interviews in a portacabin. I can't decide whether I love that or hate it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:11 pm

Best, most convincing interview I've seen him give. I actually like that he's not that impressed with our 'award-winning' academy. It can be improved and needs to be improved. Go for it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Hill piles in again on our young lads. I personally agree with everything he says here. I don't know what our "environment is like" but he's right - if you want to make it you've got to show at 17/18 you are ready and better than the senior lads. No good being 21 and having barely played any proper football. But I also agree there is no point playing them when they aren't showing the readiness or desire or mentality to play in that first team.

Feels like this is a very much needed culture change - it might be a shock to the youth system but I think that shock has been long overdue at BWFC.
Now then, some of us have been saying that for a while, maybe just maybe the time has come to have a serious look at those running the youth side of things, it is just not about winning youth tournaments but producing decent players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 am

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Now then, some of us have been saying that for a while, maybe just maybe the time has come to have a serious look at those running the youth side of things, it is just not about winning youth tournaments but producing decent players.
I've been of the same mindset. But then you have fans wanting David Lee as manager...

We're in the lower leagues now - the cushy idea of an academy and an U23s needs throwing out the window. We need kids ready and able to play first team football. And ones who want to develop.

As I've said before I would be keen on Hill bringing his old youth coach Beech in - the productivity of youth players into our first team has been poor. The young lads we've seen have potential but Hill is right - they are in the main at a stage where they should be banging down the first team door.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 am
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I've been of the same mindset. But then you have fans wanting David Lee as manager...

We're in the lower leagues now - the cushy idea of an academy and an U23s needs throwing out the window. We need kids ready and able to play first team football. And ones who want to develop.

As I've said before I would be keen on Hill bringing his old youth coach Beech in - the productivity of youth players into our first team has been poor. The young lads we've seen have potential but Hill is right - they are in the main at a stage where they should be banging down the first team door.
Hang on there,

Players good enough have been shipped out after getting a sniff of a chance at senior level or even getting to the level required.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/bolton-wa ... verein/355

Take a look at that and sort by age.

Some players in that list who would quite comfortably be in the side. Just because they aren't here now doesn't mean that it's crap, we've been left with underdeveloped players as the rest have gone. Managers were either scared or unable to play them as they were sold on.

Sorry but the academy is fit for purpose, if that purpose is to return a profit over providing talent for the first team then that can't be the fault of the academy or it's staff.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:17 pm

He's a bit like Lennon in that he's up and at em and willing to give youngsters a chance to prove themselves. I'll have to chat about it with him some time in the bogs at the Seven Stars.