I wish I'd never left Bolton...v Blackpool H. 8-0 clock 7-10-19.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: I wish I'd never left Bolton...v Blackpool H. 8-0 clock 7-10-19.

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:05 am
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 am
I counted 3 decent chances.

Murphy, Crawford free kick and Dodoo's 1st touch header saved round the post.

I don't think Politic is an out and out winger. His best games have been in that illusive number 10 role.

The Stoke Winger aka Verlinden is getting better with each game.
Hmmm. Not sure there. His end product is missing.
Doesn't always have to be there.. We actually looked better when they doubled up on him mid-way through the 1st half, creating space through he middle.

If the lad can take a man out of the game just by being there, he's fine by me
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Bottom line is we aren't creating a lot of chances. Not like their keeper had saves to make really. So its not strikers misfiring 8 yards out. Generally. Its the delivery and final ball. Not being controversial or critical. We have two young wingers who are exciting. But right now some composure up there would be a big help.
I wasn't there, so this is a question not a statement, but are we not running before we can walk when we're expected to compete with and beat settled sides of decent players with what is still a patchwork quilt bargain basement side combined with a youth club in the making? We've already held four of them to draws and our defence seems to have become organised quite quickly? I mean, before last night who had heard much of Dodoo never mind seen him in a Wanderers shirt, same with a couple more, Daryl Murphy etc. I'd say, our situation, when compared to two months ago is one to celebrate in every respect, not criticise. A real shame is the injury hoodoo has stuck again to two critical players already. Just comments.
I concur with this.

We were given very little time to patch the squad together - we were hardly going to be able to sign a team of world-beaters. And yet, Verlinden is young, already looks better than, say, Yanic to me, and I think he's going to prove a useful player over the next few months. The main thing is that he's here, he's obviously not rubbish and I'm sure Hill will keep working on him and the rest of the attackers to get us goals.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:27 pm

I think there’ll be a few changes in January. We can only loan window to window and Stoke will want Verlinden back. Maybe Forest will cancel Bridcutt’s contract - we’ll see. Same with Jake Wright. Josh Earl is the other loanee, obviously we have no idea what Hill thinks of him. But it feels like Luke Murphy and Weir might be on their way, and maybe more squad juggling. If (and it’s a big if) the rumoured Villa interest in Politic is true, it’s a decision to make.

Hill will also make staff changes too. Been a bit wait-and-see so far but don’t be surprised to see some folk leaving.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Bottom line is we aren't creating a lot of chances. Not like their keeper had saves to make really. So its not strikers misfiring 8 yards out. Generally. Its the delivery and final ball. Not being controversial or critical. We have two young wingers who are exciting. But right now some composure up there would be a big help.
I wasn't there, so this is a question not a statement, but are we not running before we can walk when we're expected to compete with and beat settled sides of decent players with what is still a patchwork quilt bargain basement side combined with a youth club in the making? We've already held four of them to draws and our defence seems to have become organised quite quickly? I mean, before last night who had heard much of Dodoo never mind seen him in a Wanderers shirt, same with a couple more, Daryl Murphy etc. I'd say, our situation, when compared to two months ago is one to celebrate in every respect, not criticise. A real shame is the injury hoodoo has stuck again to two critical players already. Just comments.
I’m very happy with where we are. But the next step is definitely the final third of the pitch improvement.

Also Daryl Murphy - he was a name I’m sure most had heard of. Probably one of the few we signed who anyone had really!

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:21 pm

I actually agree with BWFCI, we are making progress and playing better football than under Parkinson, but we do need more up front & more creativity from midfield, I thought that all the back 4 played well last night - Hobbs, Zouma & Chicksen outstanding but we need to get more players into the box, Lowe & Crawford also played well but IMO we need a more powerful busy driving box to box midfielder (a McAteer, Frandsen type) - I actually thought that we were quite slow getting forward last night & wasn't really impressed with either winger, Politic in particular was very poor IMO & did nothing of note.

Bridcutt being injured is a blow as he dictates play, and allows the others to get forward - but I actually thought that his passing was poor last night, but lets hope it not a really bad break (that's if it is a break ?) - the bench was very weak last night, even at League 1 level....we need better options from the bench, saying that Dodoo looked decent.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Dude, we need a playmaker. We can say what we want about the wingers but - I'm not sure if Crawford is fulfilling this role - we need someone who can open doors through the middle. Not sure who's available, though ...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:54 am

Yeah Murphy not being fully match sharp doesn't help. But the crosses were generally poor or they simply didn't take the chance to get the ball into the box.
Yeah, it's fecking ridiculous that we don't have a Gary Lineker to attack those shit balls into the box too. Ridiculous!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah Murphy not being fully match sharp doesn't help. But the crosses were generally poor or they simply didn't take the chance to get the ball into the box.
Yeah, it's fecking ridiculous that we don't have a Gary Lineker to attack those shit balls into the box too. Ridiculous!
Not being critical or expecting an overnight legend to rock up, but what's football for if not debating what you're doing well AND where you need to improve? We're in an incredibly lucky position at this stage to be able to say we're happy with everything (defence, build up play, attitude) except the amount of times we've put the ball in the net. Not complaining, just pointing out that we need goals - and speculating how we might fine tune things to get them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:09 am

Branagan wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not being critical or expecting an overnight legend to rock up, but what's football for if not debating what you're doing well AND where you need to improve? We're in an incredibly lucky position at this stage to be able to say we're happy with everything (defence, build up play, attitude) except the amount of times we've put the ball in the net. Not complaining, just pointing out that we need goals - and speculating how we might fine tune things to get them.
I'm just happy we're competitive in games. Our flaws are clear but to be expected given the situation. Its not a criticism of decisions, to build a competitive team under the circumstances has been a huge achievement. And Murphy will get sharp and will score goals.

Dodoo will in all likelihood replace one of the wingers to give us that different dimension outwide we probably lack.

And we'll win games. Hopefully starting against Rochdale.

But ultimately I cannot see us staying up - not because of any of that, but because we're at a point where staying up now requires close to 2 points a game and we're still not fully up to speed nor do we look like we'll suddenly go and crush everyone on a glorious run - to expect that would be silly anyway.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:09 am

But ultimately I cannot see us staying up - not because of any of that, but because we're at a point where staying up now requires close to 2 points a game and we're still not fully up to speed nor do we look like we'll suddenly go and crush everyone on a glorious run - to expect that would be silly anyway.
And, presumably we're going to have to re-extrapolate when we receive a further points reduction.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:09 am

And, presumably we're going to have to re-extrapolate when we receive a further points reduction.
Quite. I can't help thinking the EFL might not even bother with points deduction unless we start picking up points and threatening teams somewhat near the bottom end. But imagine we'll lose at a minimum 3 more and likely more than that.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:48 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:40 pm

EDIT - You changed it ICB :)
:lol: I could not believe I had used THAT name when I reread it!!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Jugs wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 pm
Dude, we need a playmaker. We can say what we want about the wingers but - I'm not sure if Crawford is fulfilling this role - we need someone who can open doors through the middle. Not sure who's available, though ...
Every team in the world wants a play-maker and a striker who scores to solve their problems. They are very expensive and hard to find.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Let's just give up then!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Jugs wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:12 pm
Let's just give up then!
I don't think its a case of giving up. Crawford was one of our better players against Blackpool and I seriously doubt we'll get better. He's one of the signings who a) looks fittest and b) has plenty to their game, passing, movement and a good set piece. Not sure its the biggest issue.

The wide players are both young and both seem to want to beat their man more times than is necessary - and both can learn how to deliver the ball better. Dodoo showed he can play out wide and offer a different type of wide option.

And Murphy needs to get fit - again I doubt there is better out there.

Its a case of waiting I think now. If there were great and available free options one assumes someone will have taken them already. If there was someone to cover Bridcutt whilst he's out available I'd be considering that.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm

I mean, you could be right. I really haven't seen enough of Crawford yet to suggest one way or the other. But considering Hill clearly likes to play it on the ground, our chance creation needs to improve. I don't think we should be relying on wingers all the time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Jugs wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm
I mean, you could be right. I really haven't seen enough of Crawford yet to suggest one way or the other. But considering Hill clearly likes to play it on the ground, our chance creation needs to improve. I don't think we should be relying on wingers all the time.
The game is get the ball to the wide men - that's what he's been basing it around.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:45 pm
Jugs wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm
The game is get the ball to the wide men - that's what he's been basing it around.
I know, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. Like you, I'm not 100% convinced all our wide men can deliver, and if we're to create more chances it's nice to have an attacking midfielder who can do that, and who can even put our wingers through on goal. All I'm saying.