Trotting over the Yellowbellies to three points - Lincoln City (A) 14/01/20

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Trotting over the Yellowbellies to three points - Lincoln City (A) 14/01/20

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:31 pm
irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:09 pm
So Hill is now the fall guy. Mind you, he caused a lot of it because of his outburst last week so wont get a lot of sympathy. However, lets be real. We have been operating way above our earnings in recent years, and to correct that will cause a lot of suffering and reality check. We are under embargo and financial restrictions. There is going to be pain!

I cant see Hill wanting to go into a game without a left back or sending away players like Earl, Bridcutt, Wright without replacements or signing a non league striker. Clearly his hands are tied by things outside his control. Maybe, just maybe. that was what sent him over the edge last week saying he knows the players he needs. But he cant get them!!
Its fair to point out that when he had those players available we weren't doing as well as we ought.

The lack of organisation and ability to at the least be a solid side has been a problem since Hill came in and I don't think is purely down to the players he has available.

The situation is difficult. But it was difficult too last time we came up and when we were in the championship. Nobody expected us to stay up - not one single fan but I seriously doubt anyone would have ever been happy losing by 6 or 7 goals to Accrington, Lincoln and Rotherham.

When addressing Chicksen for example Hill did not say "we need to reduce our costs" he said we needed better - which makes it sound like his decision. Yet he's gone into the game lost 5-1 and then said the players we have aren't good enough.....its confused all round.
Absolutely bang on there mate, bang on and Hill needs to get his finger out and sort it, basic disorganisation is a thing that doesn't need millions to sort.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:54 pm
I'm not sure about Hill's comments that the players aren't good enough.

Matthews, Emmanuel, Nsiala, L.Murphy, Dodoo, D.Murphy are top half L1 players, players that should form the basis of a promotion pushing side. Hamilton has L1 experience. Darcy is a real prospect who is being talked about as interesting higher level teams. Politic was interesting Norwich in the summer. Zouma clearly has ability if very erratic. The experienced O'Grady was on the bench.
Hmm. Daryl Murphy I'll give you. The others... Matthews is capable of great shot-stopping but is also erratic, which isn't top of your ideal goalkeeping attributes. Emmanuel was released out of the last year of his contract by a League One team who'd just had an even worse year than us. Nsiala is a similar story. Dodoo I like but I'm not sure he'd be a shoo-in for a promotion chaser. Hamilton's League One experience has consisted of being left on the bench by Southend. Darcy is a very promising kid asked to do a man's job. Politic similar. Zouma, there's something there but it's erratic, as you say, and again centre-back isn't where you want uncertainty.

Had you said these players are better than some of our relegation rivals, then yes, I'd agree with you. But they're all to a greater or lesser extent broken rejects. That's the market. Hill is clearly not getting the best out of them but let's not dress them up as better than they are.
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
When Lowe is back on Saturday, we are able to field eight of the side that I saw destroy promotion contenders Bristol Rovers a couple of months ago, with Darcy or Hamilton replacing Crawford, and Nsiala replacing Earl, replacements that shouldn't weaken us significantly.
You were there and I wasn't, but "destroy" seems a touch Darth Vader for what seems a welcome but somewhat fortuitous victory. Stats aren't everything, but the shot count was 13-12 to them, possession was 48%-52% (that again!), passes 362v388, corners 5v4. Again, I would love to see more of those wins, but "destroy"?

You're right to raise the point of personnel. Of the 11 who started at Lincoln (Matthews, Emmanuel, Zouma, Nsiala, Edwards,
L Murphy, Darcy, Hamilton, Politic, Dodoo, D Murphy) more than half predate Hill's arrival and one-day supermarket sweep. That squad wasn't good enough then and it's not good enough now. But some of the players who'd arrived - Daryl, Emmanuel, Chicksen, Dodoo, Bridcutt, Verlinden, Crawford, even an old battle-axe like O'Grady - seemed to me capable of helping us make a good fist of it for the rest of the campaign, whether Impossible Dream or Hope For Next Season. That those hopes have faded are partly injury, partly form, partly Hill's mistakes. Everyone will have their own opinion on the ratio therein, but surely few can deny they all exist.
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
The gaping, significant hole is at left back which seems a self inflicted blunder. It is surely Hill's doings to leave us with no left back? Even if Earl and Chicksen have been sacrificed as part of an economy drive, we have had enough time and warning to sign a cheaper left back before they left. Also hard to believe Earl (settled at the club and good at CB/LB) is significantly more expensive than Nsiala who cost Ipswich £750k at the start of 2018/19 when they were in the Championship.
On this, I fully agree, and like others I suspect Hill somewhat saw his arse after Burton and wanted to Year Zero as much as possible, and threw out everything that wasn't nailed down.

Individually I wouldn't argue with releasing Buckley and Wright, and it looks like Bridcutt and Verlinden weren't his choice. I can understand why we might want to clear a space by getting rid of one of Josh Earl or Adam Chicksen, but to jettison both strikes me as impetuous; even if it were a decision made calmly, it's still plain wrong.

Unless of course we use those spaces to sign geniuses unknown, but that's not happened so far, January is progressing and we're looking less attractive all the time. Had we gone into January on a roll of wins, Hill could have sold the Impossible Dream as a chance to become a club legend, like Albi, or to at least give it a go and leave in summer with no qualms. Now he's asking people to join a funeral march.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:53 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:15 pm
At some point, you *know* he's going to pull a Bunney out of the hat.
:D I'd forgotten about him. Is he mended yet?
Breaking not-really-news:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ming-loan/
"It is believed Bunney has returned to the training ground but no exact timeframe has been set on his return, leaving the club to look for options in the meantime."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:12 pm

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:24 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
"It is believed Bunney has returned to the training ground but no exact timeframe has been set on his return, leaving the club to look for options in the meantime."
Cheers for that, Chief. You know, whoever comes in now at left back, be it Brandon Fleming, Bunney or A.A. Other, the poor sod's going to be watched from the stands by people with their arms folded.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:12 pm
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:24 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Cheers for that, Chief. You know, whoever comes in now at left back, be it Brandon Fleming, Bunney or A.A. Other, the poor sod's going to be watched from the stands by people with their arms folded.
Aye, plenty of people curiously gagging to holler I Told You So. Anyway, Iles has posted "Brandon Fleming seems to be held in high regard at Hull. Look forward to seeing what he can do at Bolton. I wonder, though, whether Joe Bunney is close enough to full fitness to have influenced their thinking?" - make of that what you will - it can certainly be read both ways...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 pm

You were there and I wasn't, but "destroy" seems a touch Darth Vader for what seems a welcome but somewhat fortuitous victory. Stats aren't everything, but the shot count was 13-12 to them, possession was 48%-52% (that again!), passes 362v388, corners 5v4. Again, I would love to see more of those wins, but "destroy"?

I guess given what has transpired since it is hard to believe, but we were truly dominant that night. "Destroy" is a justifiable description imho. Here is the report from the Bristol Post.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... on-3457476
The Mem has been a happy hunting ground for Rovers so far this season, with Premier League side Brighton & Hove Albion the only team to win at the ground before Bolton came to town.

The truly surprising thing is Rovers pushed Brighton closer than they did bottom of the table Wanderers who picked yesterday to earn their first win in 208 days. And they did earn it, playing Rovers off the park as the game progressed, scoring two goals for the first time in seven months.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 pm

Was there ever any explanation as to why Bunney was on the M61 at 4 on a Sunday morning? All rather quiet that one! He’s certainly not helped out Keith there, I keep forgetting he exists.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:41 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 pm
Was there ever any explanation as to why Bunney was on the M61 at 4 on a Sunday morning? All rather quiet that one! He’s certainly not helped out Keith there, I keep forgetting he exists.
The police did not investigate further. I don't think we'd need to know beyond that do we?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:11 am

Nope. If they are happy, I am.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:49 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:16 pm

I guess given what has transpired since it is hard to believe, but we were truly dominant that night. "Destroy" is a justifiable description imho. Here is the report from the Bristol Post.

The Mem has been a happy hunting ground for Rovers so far this season, with Premier League side Brighton & Hove Albion the only team to win at the ground before Bolton came to town.

The truly surprising thing is Rovers pushed Brighton closer than they did bottom of the table Wanderers who picked yesterday to earn their first win in 208 days. And they did earn it, playing Rovers off the park as the game progressed, scoring two goals for the first time in seven months.
Fair enough - you were there, I wasn't, and I trust your judgement.

By the same token, although it seems unbelievable given the reaction to it, but here goes: I was there on Tuesday and it was never a 5-1 game. We collapsed at the arse-end, because we were (1) tired because chasing the game (2) wide open because chasing the game (3) weakened by poor old Brockers at LB because, well lots of reasons - but 2-1 was a much fairer reflection of the overall game IMO. Indeed, although Lincoln were slightly the better team, they really couldn't have complained too much if we'd nicked a draw.

For example, one thing that hasn't been mentioned: every corner we got, and there were a few, caused mass panic in the home six-yard box. I don't know whether their goalkeeper was especially weak on crosses but boy were they flapping at flag-kicks. The home fans were worried, too: when their centre-backs tried to do the modish goal-kick thing of splitting either side of the six-yard box and receiving a short ball from the goalkeeper, basically the entire stand was hollering "Get out" and waving them out - and indeed they abandoned it on many occasions, hoofing out under pressure.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:17 pm

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:49 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Fair enough - you were there, I wasn't, and I trust your judgement.

By the same token, although it seems unbelievable given the reaction to it, but here goes: I was there on Tuesday and it was never a 5-1 game. We collapsed at the arse-end, because we were (1) tired because chasing the game (2) wide open because chasing the game (3) weakened by poor old Brockers at LB because, well lots of reasons - but 2-1 was a much fairer reflection of the overall game IMO. Indeed, although Lincoln were slightly the better team, they really couldn't have complained too much if we'd nicked a draw.

For example, one thing that hasn't been mentioned: every corner we got, and there were a few, caused mass panic in the home six-yard box. I don't know whether their goalkeeper was especially weak on crosses but boy were they flapping at flag-kicks. The home fans were worried, too: when their centre-backs tried to do the modish goal-kick thing of splitting either side of the six-yard box and receiving a short ball from the goalkeeper, basically the entire stand was hollering "Get out" and waving them out - and indeed they abandoned it on many occasions, hoofing out under pressure.

I didn't escape my attention that the majority, if not all, were inswingers targeting the near post. I remember reading that such a corner is statistically the most likely to result in a goal (I think the theory goes that it offers two opportunities to score, either from a direct header or a flick-on).

I wonder if Hill read the same article?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:45 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:17 pm

I didn't escape my attention that the majority, if not all, were inswingers targeting the near post. I remember reading that such a corner is statistically the most likely to result in a goal (I think the theory goes that it offers two opportunities to score, either from a direct header or a flick-on).

Anyone else remember Paul Comstive scoring directly with two against Bournemouth? :)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:45 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

Anyone else remember Paul Comstive scoring directly with two against Bournemouth? :)
I do, and on the subsequent trip to Bradford - the first game after we got drawn against the rags in the cup - we on the Travel Club coach watched the Roadrunner video of that Bournemouth game. At one point in the second half, it started hooning down and the rozzers, as they tended to for quiet games, let the away fans under the Burnden roof. Camera pans round the Embankment; Higson: "Just one single solitary Bournemouth fan on the Embankment now." Off-camera murmur. "Oh, I've just been informed it's a ball-boy" :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:15 pm

:D Can't remember the exact game but I'd guess Reading, as the players were warming up I remember looking for our new right back who was due to make his debut. I assumed that the young boy with the blonde basin-head haircut was the mascot. Imagine my surprise when I found out it actually was Steve McAnespie :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:45 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

I do, wasn't that a windy new year's Day?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:58 pm

Apparently playing for the stiffs tonight against Sheff W

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:58 pm
Apparently playing for the stiffs tonight against Sheff W
As is Faal.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!