Trotting over the Yellowbellies to three points - Lincoln City (A) 14/01/20

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Trotting over the Yellowbellies to three points - Lincoln City (A) 14/01/20

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:59 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 pm
2-1 with 5 mins to go; can Hill really be blamed for the collapse that followed?
Ill discipline?
Heads dropped?
Both happening a lot!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 pm

It doesn't excuse the result or the performance but we're frighteningly short of competence, never mind quality. I note there was a suggestion of "boardroom involvement" in our recruitment strategy today, and if that's correct, it wouldn't surprise me if Hill walked very soon.

As much as I didn't approve of his outburst on Saturday, he's probably right about no-one being on the same page. It certainly feels right now as though we're completely lacking in direction.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:03 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 pm
2-1 with 5 mins to go; can Hill really be blamed for the collapse that followed?
I'd have more sympathy if it was a "one off" in a tough season and I'm probably not going to be too judgemental, but like Dibs and BWFCi say, you'd sort of expect he would be drilling 5's, 6's and 7's out of them. This isn't even against the best teams in the League. If you added our 12 back on, we're closer to Lincoln...and Accrington...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 pm

We’re actually gettting a lot closer to Southend - only 4 (or one game for Keith) goals off their GD.

Shambolic.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:09 pm

Hang on, people are on one hand saying this season is gone and it needs sorting for next season yet are pissed when he tries and it doesn't work and he should do one?

Would we be fecked off if it was a preseason game?

5 players on the bench from the "kids" team that were getting spanked 5-0, 4 in the side. 2 players on their 2nd game for us.

Hill has already said that the youth team isn't good enough and it's pissed off the likes of JP and DL. Honesty yet we slate him for it?

Strengthened the side in August and they looked like they could compete, injuries, results went south, unsurprisingly, the board now realise it's an impossible task to stay up so will be pulling in the purse strings.

What staff has Hill brought in? The backroom team isn't good enough, the training isn't good enough, there is no cash to sort it. So what does he do?

Having your hands tied behind your back and being asked to play the piano is going to be fecking difficult. If there is a manager that can get them players to gel and perform then he sure as shit ain't going to end up at Bolton Wanderers.

What we're asking for is a miracle and as such we should start praying.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:14 pm

He seems to have a gift for losing a potentially successful formula. After Bristol Rovers and Fleetwood, we looked good. Then he brought Bridcutt into a midfield that didn't have room for him. Then Earl looked really promising at either CB/LB and we let him go. We end up experimenting with 5ft 7in Bridcutt at CB, and no LB at the club at all. We let Buckley go when Verlinden has gone. Add in the interviews. All seems a bit bonkers.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:16 pm

Ah well, tomorrow is another day.... ae:) ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 pm

What bothers me is next season. I know this season was a write off before a ball was kicked but, I expected the players Hill assembled to be more competitive than what we have witnessed.

This squad of players are not good enough for this league and this is why I'm concerned for next term. Will the same happen again? or will this transfer embargo be lifted and the club able to pay for a player should they be able to fund?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 pm

Good point re backroom staff - have we not replaced those who left? Pollit came in - presumably nobody born in Bolton applied for the other job?

I know it’s a tough job - this year was a free hit almost - but there are some massive alarm bells ringing for me, and they are not going away...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 pm
What bothers me is next season. I know this season was a write off before a ball was kicked but, I expected the players Hill assembled to be more competitive than what we have witnessed.

This squad of players are not good enough for this league and this is why I'm concerned for next term. Will the same happen again? or will this transfer embargo be lifted and the club able to pay for a player should they be able to fund?
I’m starting to worry the ten year plan might involve the non-league...how bad is it? That’s why I’m keen to understand whether it’s hill wheeling and dealing or FV cutting the cloth...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:28 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:09 pm
Hang on, people are on one hand saying this season is gone and it needs sorting for next season yet are pissed when he tries and it doesn't work and he should do one?

Would we be fecked off if it was a preseason game?

5 players on the bench from the "kids" team that were getting spanked 5-0, 4 in the side. 2 players on their 2nd game for us.

Hill has already said that the youth team isn't good enough and it's pissed off the likes of JP and DL. Honesty yet we slate him for it?

Strengthened the side in August and they looked like they could compete, injuries, results went south, unsurprisingly, the board now realise it's an impossible task to stay up so will be pulling in the purse strings.

What staff has Hill brought in? The backroom team isn't good enough, the training isn't good enough, there is no cash to sort it. So what does he do?

Having your hands tied behind your back and being asked to play the piano is going to be fecking difficult. If there is a manager that can get them players to gel and perform then he sure as shit ain't going to end up at Bolton Wanderers.

What we're asking for is a miracle and as such we should start praying.
Sacking Hill is pointless. But his limitations are there for all to see. The players we’ve got aren’t capable of keeping us up. But they are better than results he is achieving. Perhaps if he worked on a solid formula made us hard to beat and drilled us on some set pieces?

Fact is that he’s asking players to do jobs they aren’t able to do rather than finding a formula that they could be competitive with.

He’s got a better ratio of quality relative to the competition than we had at any point last season. I’d just like to see some evidence he’s a manager and not just someone who fancies himself a bit too much. If he proves no good then next season is a hell of an ask.

Few people in the know tell me FV are asking similar questions. We shall see. New scout bloke seems to have upset apple cart.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 pm
Athertonian wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:17 pm

I’m starting to worry the ten year plan might involve the non-league...how bad is it? That’s why I’m keen to understand whether it’s hill wheeling and dealing or FV cutting the cloth...
I would think it's FV with plan B. They'll not be wanting much investment in a team that has no chance of survival in League 1. Save the cash and invest over summer for League 2. The rest of the season is going to be shit and maybe the damage will be such that Hill can't continue as manager.

I think they need to come out and make an announcement as it would alleviate some pressure off the team and the manager.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:32 pm

It's shambolic. It's not all hill's fault, obviously poor players are to blame too,budgets etc. However the complete lack of any progress and his obnoxious demeanor just make me dislike him intensely.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:34 pm

A spell in the Conference isn't in the thinking, well not just yet. This could be a reality should the same happen next term. It's not that we have assets we could sell to create a few signings suitable for league 2. We really need to planning for next season because for sure we'll be stating in that league in August.

Whether Hill will be the best manager to get the club back to where we currently are only time will tell. He has got promotion pedigree but can he do it with Bolton.
If he's going to rely on loan players, we need them to be available for an entire season and not just half. I'm not convinced Hill is the right man but, I hope I'm proved wrong.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:28 pm
New scout bloke seems to have upset apple cart.

I think this lies at the heart of it. Don't get me wrong, I've got little faith in Hill and I'm seeing the same things everyone else is. However, if he recognises and accepts this is a big rebuild yet finds himself being dictated to on transfer policy, I can well understand why that would be a problem for him.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:16 pm

The way I see it is, not many right minded folk expected us to go out and knock off the points deficit and land mid table this season but a few hard points from draws and losses by the odd goal. organised and hard to beat would not be an unfair ask.
Trouble is if we keep falling apart these players won't have the confidence to play in a pub team and no bugger will want to join us so next year, a league lower, we might end up stuffed before a ball is kicked.
We need to get tight at the back, do or die like some of the Bolton teams we have seen then build on it. Oh I think we are missing a hard nosed captain to get a grip out there.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:23 am

The worst thing is the lack of a plan. Lucky dip team selection, go 2 behind and fold like a pack of cards.

We've got an embargo so we can't pay transfer fees, most teams in this league don't post transfer fees. We're limited to 2kpw per player, still comfortably mid table numbers. I don't expect us to win every game, I don't even expect us to stay up or get close. Given this season has always likely been a write-off, I do expect to be able to discern what we're trying to do.

Shrewsbury are an easy comparison best Sam Ricketts used to play for us, but they had an identity. What's ours. There are many excuses this year, you can absolutely see why a lack of depth and having to plug gaps loads to bad results. But there's no excuse for shipping 7 at Accrington, losing four times in 6 months to fecking Rochdale, losing 5-1 to what is essentially a non league team trying to dig in after losing their talismen.

Are we an attacking side as Hill supposedly wants? Then where is the style? What are we trying to do? How come Shrewsbury look like they know their patterns of play and we dont?

Or, fair enough, are we skint and fecked? Then be hard to play against.

We're the old doomed cliche of shit going forward and shit going back.

Boo.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:03 am

Nearly home. Not a good night but I’ve seen us worse. Late collapse after putting Brockbank at LB, but we had to do that because they were bossing midfield (because we’d gone 4-4-2 with Luke Murphy and Ronan Darcy in the middle) so we had to bring Ethan Hamilton in from LB to CM. Hamilton was the best of our three ersatz LBs but that’s tallest-dwarf territory.

Going to that more open 4-4-2 made us better to watch and more likely to score, which we did, but also more likely to concede, which we did. The question being asked is whether we’d rather lose 5-1 or 2-0, and frankly when it doesn’t matter I can take the odd 5-1 just to see Darcy score.

We now have to blood the kids to see who might prosper next season. I wouldn’t get another centre-back but left-back is a big problem and it’s self-imposed. Hill’s erratic decisions and impulsive quote-machinery aren’t helping. There was no organised anti-Hill chanting - away fans tend to be slower than home for developing dissatisfaction - but reading twitter replies to posts by Iles and BWFC is sometimes illuminating and it’s not a good scene. I would hate things to get toxic. Big fortnight ahead; maybe Shrewsbury postponement will be good as it gives us a free weekend to work on recruitment and coaching.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:23 am

Hill got dogs abuse last night on Twitter - so many onion based mock ups.

Unfortunately he isn’t particularly likeable and I think the mood is turning.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:04 am

For us to win games we need to aim for 0 goals in the against column. We seem to be a million miles away from that. I wasn't expecting us staying up nor am I calling for Hill to go. I was expecting us to start looking a bit more organised by now. With something approaching a game plan as others have mentioned.