Loanees available

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Loanees available

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 am

What player is he going to get - anyone will take weeks to get to full fitness. I suspect if there was someone he could bring in now he would. But you'd be paying a wage for someone who gets fit, round about January. We've seen how long its taken many to get fit - and they only missed a month or two. Imagine someone now - 3/4 months behind.
I find this whole "get-fit" syndrome a load of utter nonsense. These are highly paid professional footballers with few Methuzalahs' who are 35 years of age at best. They're suppposed to be fit, professionall footballer fit, that's why they are what they are; it's why they train even when they have no official club. They play a the very best two ninety minute games a week for two-thirds of a season, drive top range cars and live very decently. They should BE fit.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 am

What player is he going to get - anyone will take weeks to get to full fitness. I suspect if there was someone he could bring in now he would. But you'd be paying a wage for someone who gets fit, round about January. We've seen how long its taken many to get fit - and they only missed a month or two. Imagine someone now - 3/4 months behind.
I find this whole "get-fit" syndrome a load of utter nonsense. These are highly paid professional footballers with few Methuzalahs' who are 35 years of age at best. They're suppposed to be fit, professionall footballer fit, that's why they are what they are; it's why they train even when they have no official club. They play a the very best two ninety minute games a week for two-thirds of a season, drive top range cars and live very decently. They should BE fit.
We've seen it with our own eyes. Being "fit" compared with you or I yes - but fit to compete with football teams who have had a full pre season? No.

Look at our first few games - we were certainly struggling over the 90 minutes with these players. And players like Wright likely went down injured because they were playing games before they were really fit enough to properly do so.

Hill even now is talking about how far behind we are in weeks physically compared to other teams.

It is different for different players though, Chicksen came in and looked fit as a fiddle straight away. Whereas Josh Emmanuel looked decidedly unfit until relatively recently.

I guess we're talking match fitness - and that seems to be taking most a good few weeks at least to get. Bring someone in now - not trained properly for months - as Hill says being in the gym isn't the same...I don't know - it seems like most we bring in take a fair while.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:43 pm

Exactly, it's not an objective measure of fitness in a vacuum, it's only relevant in comparison to those you're playing against.

Even at the clogging level of football I play, you finish in May, you spend the summer playing 5aside in the week, you eat well, you run, hit the gym, you decide you're gonna knock the booze for July, do a load of stuff you weren't even doing in May, you're fit you're ready. Then first pre-season game, bam, you can't walk till Thursday. And they're against professional athletes.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

charltonfan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by charltonfan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:20 pm

Believe you were intetested in a youngster we have called Macauley Bonne but we wanted to keep him instead if a loan