The Dons visit the University...V Milton Keynes Home. 3-0'clock 15-11-2019

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Dons visit the University...V Milton Keynes Home. 3-0'clock 15-11-2019

Post by Jugs » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:44 pm

Love it.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Back of the net!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:00 pm

Problem now that we've put a few wins together is that it's given us hope ... and it's the hope that kills you. Literally every game becomes must-win until we lose a few. Nervous - but also exciting - times ahead every single weekend.

Stanley next weekend is massive.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:00 pm
Problem now that we've put a few wins together is that it's given us hope ... and it's the hope that kills you. Literally every game becomes must-win until we lose a few. Nervous - but also exciting - times ahead every single weekend.

Stanley next weekend is massive.
ELF are going to dampen any hope next week. Let's large it up and enjoy the positivity! +1

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:11 pm

What a way to win a fecking game!
Did we deserve it? Probably not, but it feels great!
feck the EFL, do you’re worst. Bolton are back!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:21 pm

19 shots (to their 14), seven on target (them three), 58% possession. I’d say we edged it :D

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:29 pm

As I was driving home from work I literally started bouncing up and down in my seat when I saw that scoreline. Fookin dancer :D extra beer tonight :pissed:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:21 pm
19 shots (to their 14), seven on target (them three), 58% possession. I’d say we edged it :D
Didn’t feel like that at 11 v 11; even at ten men they managed to spot an open goal over the bar. Genuinely don’t feel like we played well - Verlinden made a difference when became on. Confused he played on the left. The three centre miss are all too similar for me...which of course is nobody’s fault. I’d have been tempted to bring Verlinden on for one of them and pushed Dodoo central, but what do I know!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:06 pm

Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:54 pm
Loving how Murphy just runs past the hoping-to-be-on-it Lofty during the celebration 🤣
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Just be on the Colin Murray show; they pulled that wanker keeper of theirs for time wasting between the pen and the goal - bang on! Enjoyed directing my celebrations his way!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:33 pm

If it's 6 or fewer extra deducted I'm chucking a wedge on us staying up. Bastard hope.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:06 pm
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:54 pm
Loving how Murphy just runs past the hoping-to-be-on-it Lofty during the celebration 🤣
Luke Murphy running away like he scored made me chuckle!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:45 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:59 pm
Didn’t feel like that at 11 v 11; even at ten men they managed to spot an open goal over the bar. Genuinely don’t feel like we played well - Verlinden made a difference when became on. Confused he played on the left. The three centre miss are all too similar for me...which of course is nobody’s fault. I’d have been tempted to bring Verlinden on for one of them and pushed Dodoo central, but what do I know!
Playing poorly and getting 3 points. Sign of a good side some might say.....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 am

In other news, that can't be far off our best XI, Crawford aside. Hobbs for Earl maybe. Hopefully we can keep people fit for a while.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:28 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:45 pm

Playing poorly and getting 3 points. Sign of a good side some might say.....
Reaching plus points after the start we had is more than a bit amazing. Keith Hill is adopting a sensible attitude in not expecting to win every match...but the fans don't agree... :D COME ON YOU WHITES...

:oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 am

A win is a win & it feels good to finally be in positive points, but I didn't think that we played well at all until Verlinden came on - we are really missing Crawford's creativity, Luke Murphy played a bit further forward and did ok but we need a creative midfielder ASAP.

We also gave them to many chances after going down to 10 men.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:44 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 am
A win is a win & it feels good to finally be in positive points, but I didn't think that we played well at all until Verlinden came on - we are really missing Crawford's creativity, Luke Murphy played a bit further forward and did ok but we need a creative midfielder ASAP.

We also gave them to many chances after going down to 10 men.
Beat me to it Bertie!

Was going to say he changed the dynamic. Real threat going forward with him on the pitch.

Luke Murphy, I'll say it again, pack it in. I do not want to say well done. Prick.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:05 pm

officer_dibble wrote:

I agree with you. I try not to take much notice of Hill's comments, however, I thought he was dead right when he said in his post-match interview that it was a scoreboard day rather than a performance day. It felt as though we didn't quite deserve the three points but we deserved more points than they did. Akin to a winning draw in cricket, as ridiculous as that might seem. Thankfully though, it's winner takes all.

If we're to give ourselves a better chance to continue picking up points we need better coordination on our crosses. Too often, we get in a good position to cross it in, with players in the penalty area, only to overhit it or play it into space with no-one anticipating. And when we do get on the end of them it's rarely with any proper traction. The one exception I can remember from yesterday was Darryl Murphy's flicked header from Emmanuel's corner in the first half, which isn't enough considering we're set up specifically to get crosses in and will probably be more reliant on doing so in Crawford's absence. I don't want to be critical because we're doing very well generally and the problems we've faced thus far haven't been the fault of the current regime, but I mention this because it's one thing I think we have the power to do something about.

Although we aren't scoring very many, the counterbalance with our strongly-performing defence means we're quite efficient with the goals we do score. Yesterday was our fourth clean sheet in our last six league matches. Aside from the understandable, forgivable aberration that was Hill's first match in charge and the performance against Rochdale, a result of our young centre-backs being schooled by a much more experienced operator, we haven't conceded more than one goal in any other match we've played. The two managers play different styles of football, but that same efficiency is what we had under Parky before the gulf became too great. It can only serve us well.

That said, if they'd have squeezed in either of their two proper chances or had Callum Brittan not overrun it and gifted Luke Murphy the opportunity to play it into the six-yard box as a result, things might've been different. It's fine margins, but I hope we carry on getting on the right side of them.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:20 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:05 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

I agree with you. I try not to take much notice of Hill's comments, however, I thought he was dead right when he said in his post-match interview that it was a scoreboard day rather than a performance day. It felt as though we didn't quite deserve the three points but we deserved more points than they did. Akin to a winning draw in cricket, as ridiculous as that might seem. Thankfully though, it's winner takes all.

If we're to give ourselves a better chance to continue picking up points we need better coordination on our crosses. Too often, we get in a good position to cross it in, with players in the penalty area, only to overhit it or play it into space with no-one anticipating. And when we do get on the end of them it's rarely with any proper traction. The one exception I can remember from yesterday was Darryl Murphy's flicked header from Emmanuel's corner in the first half, which isn't enough considering we're set up specifically to get crosses in and will probably be more reliant on doing so in Crawford's absence. I don't want to be critical because we're doing very well generally and the problems we've faced thus far haven't been the fault of the current regime, but I mention this because it's one thing I think we have the power to do something about.

Although we aren't scoring very many, the counterbalance with our strongly-performing defence means we're quite efficient with the goals we do score. Yesterday was our fourth clean sheet in our last six league matches. Aside from the understandable, forgivable aberration that was Hill's first match in charge and the performance against Rochdale, a result of our young centre-backs being schooled by a much more experienced operator, we haven't conceded more than one goal in any other match we've played. The two managers play different styles of football, but that same efficiency is what we had under Parky before the gulf became too great. It can only serve us well.

That said, if they'd have squeezed in either of their two proper chances or had Callum Brittan not overrun it and gifted Luke Murphy the opportunity to play it into the six-yard box as a result, things might've been different. It's fine margins, but I hope we carry on getting on the right side of them.
One of the reasons I was surprised a lot of Bolton fans didn't seem to fancy Ben Marshall. He's got a cracking delivery - exactly the type of crosser we need right now IMO.

What do you reckon?