The Dons visit the University...V Milton Keynes Home. 3-0'clock 15-11-2019

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: The Dons visit the University...V Milton Keynes Home. 3-0'clock 15-11-2019

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:29 pm

I felt yesterday that often the delivery was fine. It was the lack of anticipation (MurphyL) or aggression (Dodoo) that meant we weren't getting chances from our crosses. Our passing in general was poor yesterday but some credit has to go to MK who closed us down very quickly.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:29 pm
IOur passing in general was poor yesterday but some credit has to go to MK who closed us down very quickly.
Something that in the past has been a total jibber topic for me. Far to often we haven't scrapped for the ball being content to invite the opposition on to us whilst all the opposition seem to be more willing to hassle us and play the physical game. England's success against Montenegro was notable for our own lads being the aggressors for a change instead of being bullied and pushed around. Fortunately, Keith Hill seems to see the benefits of wolf-pack tackling and not giving opponents time on the ball. Hope it lasts. Much has to do with energy and fitness levels, so that too needs addressing. I have more hope right now than for a fair old while.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Anyone got an idea as to what Buckley is injured with and when he is back? He played centrally under Hill before. He might help create some chances. The three centre mids were all a bit samey to me yesterday. Crawfords a miss.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:25 pm
Anyone got an idea as to what Buckley is injured with and when he is back? He played centrally under Hill before. He might help create some chances. The three centre mids were all a bit samey to me yesterday. Crawfords a miss.
Fractured kneecap 6 weeks ago. Shouldn't be far off unless there is ligament damage.
Keith will produce him at some point like a rabbit from a hat.
Amazes me that a bloke who talks as much as Keith treats basic injury updates like nuclear launch codes. :D
Anyone know why?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:01 pm

Can't wait for the Bunney out the hat.

.... I'll get my coat.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:42 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:01 pm
Can't wait for the Bunney out the hat.

.... I'll get my coat.
:roll:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Actually I'm just jealous. Lovely stuff!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:19 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:42 am
A win is a win & it feels good to finally be in positive points, but I didn't think that we played well at all until Verlinden came on - we are really missing Crawford's creativity, Luke Murphy played a bit further forward and did ok but we need a creative midfielder ASAP.

We also gave them to many chances after going down to 10 men.
Yeah I thought in fairness we were mostly second best. Until right at the end not sure we really created a proper chance yet they hit the post first half (super save that) and missed an open goal type sitter second half down to 10.

I pretty much thought we robbed them.

And our setup was odd. I'm not sure what Hill is trying to do with O Grady but its confused. He's half playing up front and it leaves the side very unbalanced. I guess it didn't help he had his worst game for us.

I found it strange that Dodoo went off - he was quiet but clearly we could have used him more effectively than O Grady.

Midfield is all shades of unbalanced now. I have no idea what the idea behind Lowe charging all over the park is but I felt he and Murphy were often too far away from Bridcutt and it left us having to go long. We definitely miss AC big time. Clearly a player who made it tick. And not least with his set pieces.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:05 pm

Doesn't really matter if we robbed them or were second best - we beat them, got the points and now it's onto Stanley. 3 wins on the bounce as well :pissed:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:08 pm

^^ you're a right negative Nelly, Insane!

A draw was probably the fairest result but no proper chances? Robbed them? Give over! MurphyL had 2 good first half efforts, MurphyD was only denied by a brilliant fingertip save and then missed his penalty.

Agree re O'Grady though. I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far but Saturdays game passed him by.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:24 pm

In fairness to o Grady Saturday was the first game where there was someone on the bench who you thought should have started. He isn’t a left winger - he’s playing in a position similar to what Kevin Davies did when we had Anelka (fck me that’s a stretch of a comparison!). Pulling out wide on the full back and using his strength and aerial ability. It’s not right for him though, he wants to play centrally.

I’d of kept him and Dodoo on and brought Lowe off on Saturday. Particularly at ten men (which was after the Dodoo sub).

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:08 pm

A draw was probably the fairest result but no proper chances? Robbed them? Give over! MurphyL had 2 good first half efforts, MurphyD was only denied by a brilliant fingertip save and then missed his penalty.

Agree re O'Grady though. I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far but Saturdays game passed him by.
I swear he was more enthusiastic when we were losing every weekend under Parkinson :D :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:54 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:55 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Fractured kneecap 6 weeks ago. Shouldn't be far off unless there is ligament damage.
Amazes me that a bloke who talks as much as Keith treats basic injury updates like nuclear launch codes. :D
Anyone know why?
FWIW Hill says here, in Ilesy’s piece on Bridcutt’s return, “ Ali Crawford is out for a significant amount of time, up to four months, Will Buckley is out for another six weeks”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ul-injury/

Six weeks today is New Year’s Eve

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:09 am

Must've been more to than a simple fracture then. Shame.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:54 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Mr Insane has a differing opinion on what a chance is.

I agree but for the keeper we'd have had 2 more goals.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:17 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:54 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:55 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Anyone know why?
FWIW Hill says here, in Ilesy’s piece on Bridcutt’s return, “ Ali Crawford is out for a significant amount of time, up to four months, Will Buckley is out for another six weeks”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ul-injury/

Six weeks today is New Year’s Eve
Four months out for Crawford is a real blow - his creativity and set-piece ability will be sorely missed.

I am slightly concerned about what happens in January now. Presumably Verlinden is off, but are people confident that we will retain Briductt and Wright? I worry that Bridcutt might have done enough to attract the attention of clubs higher up the pyramid.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 am

I'm sure that Hill will have a replacement lined up in January for Crawford & there was a rumour last night from an ex agent that Ben Marshall may be signing in the next week or so (apparently, on a pay as you play deal), but that rumour may be absolute bollocks.

I also happen to think that we will keep both Bridcutt & Wright until the end of the season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 am
I'm sure that Hill will have a replacement lined up in January for Crawford & there was a rumour last night from an ex agent that Ben Marshall may be signing in the next week or so (apparently, on a pay as you play deal), but that rumour may be absolute bollocks.

I also happen to think that we will keep both Bridcutt & Wright until the end of the season.
I agree with almost all of this. Hill and Flicker will have targets in mind, and it shouldn't be hard to persuade Bridcutt and Wright - not to mention their clubs - into a loan conversion: six-month contract and we talk again in summer.

Not sure about the Marshall rumour - not that I'm ITK, it just smells like a reheated rumour - but it does make sense in a way; Verlinden will be off, we're very tight on squad numbers, would be good to get him in and up to speed by the time T-bone leaves.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:32 am

I agree with almost all of this. Hill and Flicker will have targets in mind, and it shouldn't be hard to persuade Bridcutt and Wright - not to mention their clubs - into a loan conversion: six-month contract and we talk again in summer.

Not sure about the Marshall rumour - not that I'm ITK, it just smells like a reheated rumour - but it does make sense in a way; Verlinden will be off, we're very tight on squad numbers, would be good to get him in and up to speed by the time T-bone leaves.
When you say 'loan conversion', do you mean turning their loans into permanent contracts?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

L Murphy had a couple of long range efforts that weren't troubling any decent keeper. And yes it was a good save from D Murphy.

However, up until our penalty MK Dons had unquestionably the best two chances of the game, a one on one that was deflected onto the post and that second half open goal miss. They'd looked organised and a threat on the break. I think the last few minutes flattered us as did the score. But I'll take it. We'll have results that go the other way.