The Dons visit the University...V Milton Keynes Home. 3-0'clock 15-11-2019

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Dons visit the University...V Milton Keynes Home. 3-0'clock 15-11-2019

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:38 am
Jugs wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:25 pm
We had Murphy, they didn't. At 36, he's still one of the best strikers in this league. We didn't have a difference maker last season, so it's nice to have one this time. In tight 0-0s, he's exactly the kind of striker you need.
Agreed. Quite a few near me seem to moan about big Daryl. But I think he's really excellent. Keeps going, gets in scoring positions. Holds it reasonably well too though clearly back to goal is not really his game. Mobile as well. Nice to have a proper centre forward up front - we've not had one since Madine.
He's the most immobile feck* I've seen in years. If he was remotely mobile then he'd be looking to get onto the end of the myriad balls that Dodoo puts into the box. Gets in scoring positions? You're taking the piss.
Out of country, can't go to games so can only watch highlights. D. Murphy seemed very mobile when he scored that winner on Saturday, getting across defenders in a crowded box. Just saying.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:27 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:02 am

I don't agree. For a 36 year old he gets in the channels well - see his goal against Rochdale for example - and away at Bristol Rovers.

The problem when Dodoo puts the ball across is often DM is the only person in the box - I think its harsh to criticise him for that - and when he's the only one in the box unless he makes the perfect run to the perfect ball - the defence are favourites.
I mean, don't get me wrong - with where we're at and what we can offer then I expect us to be playing an immobile veteran up top, and that's what we have. I'm not being critical of him, merely stating the facts.

If you choose to dress him up as something else then fair enough.
I don't remember the last time we had a striker who got in behind the defence to score one on ones. They were either too immobile or simply not that type - even in league one. Murphy has done that and threatened to do it a few times. He's 36 but I do think he's more mobile than I thought he would be.
Well, what's that lad called who's now in Australia? :conf:
He was a fox in the box - snap chances type. Didn't run in behind much from memory. Though different style of football of course.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:12 pm
He was a fox in the box - snap chances type. Didn't run in behind much from memory. Though different style of football of course.
...a style of football which wasn't exactly averse to going long. if ALF were an in-behinder we'd surely have tried knocking it over the top a bit more, either via Madine's bonce or just directly.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:16 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:12 pm
...a style of football which wasn't exactly averse to going long. if ALF were an in-behinder we'd surely have tried knocking it over the top a bit more, either via Madine's bonce or just directly.
My abiding criticism of Parkinson is that he hadn't the nous to organise his team so that the midfield would play ALF in on the deck. Instead, we'd just miss out midfield and nice person it one up to him so he could feed off of their centre half scraps.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:27 pm

I do think Parky brought about his own downfall a bit by not getting the best out of ALF. He had a goalscorer who could have got the goals to keep us in the mix last year but he dropped a bollock.

Anyway, I'm a D-Murphy fan and if we keep on keeping things tight at the back, I reckon he'll get double figures this year and who knows where those goals could take us?