Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:09 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:01 pm
If there’s anything good that can come out of this it is that the seemingly growing collection of knob head fans we have, the vast majority aren’t old enough to remember pre allardyce (and certainly pre Rioch) might get a grasp of where we are at. Not the kind of fan we have on here (or other forums), but the idiot on twitter who has us to win every game now we have a team, or who responds to Andy Holt with abuse without actually thinking about the point he is making. By all accounts our band of dickheads have excelled themselves today with pitch invasions and bottle throwing, all cos we didn’t have it our own way. Well newsflash lads, if we stay up it’s a miracle and we’re here for the long haul.

Correct, although there were plenty old enough to remember those times causing problems. Bottle throwing, coin throwing, infighting, severe abuse of a match official and stewards, and, of course, racism. I'm all for lively atmospheres but the way our sizeable dickhead contingent carry on is a stain on our club.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:38 pm

As appalling as that was I suppose we only find out after the next couple of games how damaging it's been.
There can be no excuses. They're more or less up to speed, have been winning, and were playing a poor side. A determined effort and a late defeat in the circumstances would be disappointing but excusable. That sort of capitulation isn't, and I'm.nit going to take issue with anyone who loses their rag over it.
My worry with Hill is that he's a loose cannon with a big mouth, and that decision with the subs today was amateurish stupidity. Fail to replace a centre half away from home and remove the 'best defensive midfielder in the league' (his words) as a shield to the defence at the same time.
I fear that as soon as we have a bad spell fans with raised expectations will turn and he'll do what he did at Barnsley and Rochdale and start criticising them and that will be the end.
I hope I'm wrong because I welcomed his appointment but I'm not hopeful.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:08 am

The biggest problem imho is playing Bridcutt, Lowe and Murphy. I am not sure the three of them are more productive than Lowe and Murphy being in there, the balance is all wrong, they are all too similar. We were effectively down to nine men today.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:53 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:08 am
The biggest problem imho is playing Bridcutt, Lowe and Murphy. I am not sure the three of them are more productive than Lowe and Murphy being in there, the balance is all wrong, they are all too similar. We were effectively down to nine men today.
Agree although it worked against MK. The difference yesterday was the pressing by Accrington. Forced the wayward passing by the 3 mentioned.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:44 am

I reckon our weak spot is the left hand side - Chicksen who has been excellent until yesterday, being exposed by having can’t track back/ won’t track back COG in front of him. Bring back Will Buckley from the mystery injury.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:24 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:44 am
I reckon our weak spot is the left hand side - Chicksen who has been excellent until yesterday, being exposed by having can’t track back/ won’t track back COG in front of him. Bring back Will Buckley from the mystery injury.
Bunney would be a better option. Really want to know when he's due back.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:29 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:24 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:44 am
Bunney would be a better option. Really want to know when he's due back.

Chicksen's fine with a winger capable of offering support in front of him. That's true for almost every full-back. But check Verlinden's position for (I think) their third goal. Couple that with us playing with ten men and it's no wonder they looked to exploit that space.

But that said, our defending in general yesterday, even taking into account them having an extra man, was awful.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 am

When I saw the penalty for the 1st time yesterday at the match, it looked like a poor decision by the Ref, (not a red). Looked at again and I stand by my first thought, it wasn't a red. Unless Earl said something afterwards?
Even so, the next poorest decision is seeing Hill dithering about on the touchline, not replacing Earl with another centre half, instead putting Bridcutt there, then when it was too late, putting Zouma on. Game had gone by then. Hill just as much to blame yesterday for me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:21 am

Thinking about Verlinden not covering Chicksen - the lad had started well but I can confidently say that about 95% of managers would have hoiked him immediately for a centre-back when Earl got first go at the soap. Yes, it's taking off a supply line, but sometimes you just have to go 4-3-2, try to get width from your full-backs and see what happens. Certainly the alternative became clear as the whole thing collapsed.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Absolutely. Coyle esque clown management that by Hill (and Flitcroft).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Quite liked the coincidence of this coming out today

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:28 pm

I thought I was well past the stage where a Wanderers defeat could ruin my weekend but I woke up this morning feeling more deflated than I was when I left the ground.

I'm not wanting to sound over dramatic but it does feel as though we lost more than just a match. The end of Hills honeymoon period? The momentum and belief that goes with a winning run? Faith in one or two of the players? The general feelgood factor?

I'm unsure if it's the worst defeat I've ever witnessed but it's definitely up there with the likes of black Sunday and that fa cup semi.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:20 pm

Perfect chance to put it right in the cup game. No league game next weekend, so no need to rest players. You send every single one of those soft c*nts back out and tell them to beat what’s in front of them, and do it well.

Has to be our lowest ever result. Can’t contemplate anything worse than that. 8-0 at Morecambe next year? Bury reincarnation doing us in a cup game?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:32 pm

It feels like we've had more weekends off in League One than we did in the Premier League days lol.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:33 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:53 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Agree although it worked against MK. The difference yesterday was the pressing by Accrington. Forced the wayward passing by the 3 mentioned.
Did work against MK? Thought our midfield was one paced and pedestrian. They are too similar. And Luke Murphy doesn’t do enough. Lowe is being asked to run around to little effect. Not sure we have other options but for me whole system needs a review. Might as well go 4-4-2 for me If we are playing COG on the left. Two big lads up top get it forwards feed off the scraps.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:28 pm
I thought I was well past the stage where a Wanderers defeat could ruin my weekend but I woke up this morning feeling more deflated than I was when I left the ground.

I'm not wanting to sound over dramatic but it does feel as though we lost more than just a match. The end of Hills honeymoon period? The momentum and belief that goes with a winning run? Faith in one or two of the players? The general feelgood factor?

I'm unsure if it's the worst defeat I've ever witnessed but it's definitely up there with the likes of black Sunday and that fa cup semi.

That's exactly how I felt as well. Losing by that scoreline will hurt no matter what position we're in, but it felt as though there was something extra to the dissappointment. I think it's because of all the things you mention but, for me, I think it's mostly because it felt like we'd returned to what we experienced at the beginning of the season, where we practically just surrendered the result and the performance and the football itself was secondary.

Perhaps it's just because recent results had altered perceptions? Or maybe it's just because we're desperate for a return to stability and normality that it hurts that bit more? I don't think the goings on in the preceding days helped matters either. I'd hoped we were beyond that kind of drama now.

(By the way, as bad as yesterday was, I'd still have it behind that FA Cup semi-final)

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:55 pm

Yeah, the result bothered me a lot because we were starting to get some hope (some of us anyway). When I checked the score and it was 2-1 and we'd had a man sent off, I really did feel like 'that's the weekend ruined' and that's the first time I've had that feeling for aaaaaages.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:33 pm
DJBlu wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Did work against MK? Thought our midfield was one paced and pedestrian. They are too similar. And Luke Murphy doesn’t do enough. Lowe is being asked to run around to little effect. Not sure we have other options but for me whole system needs a review. Might as well go 4-4-2 for me If we are playing COG on the left. Two big lads up top get it forwards feed off the scraps.

It does seem like something needs to change. As you point out, the 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 Hill prefers is effective with Bridcutt, Lowe and Crawford in the middle because they're each well-suited to the different roles they're asked to play in that system. Without all three available though, the central midfield combinations we've gone with have been much less convicing. And without Crawford in particular, we haven't played nearly as fluidly.

It'll be interesting to see if Hill changes it around. The only options I can think of are the 4-4-2 you suggest or the riskier strategy of playing Politic ahead of two central midfielders.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:23 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:55 pm
Yeah, the result bothered me a lot because we were starting to get some hope (some of us anyway). When I checked the score and it was 2-1 and we'd had a man sent off, I really did feel like 'that's the weekend ruined' and that's the first time I've had that feeling for aaaaaages.

Indeed. But looking at the bigger picture, that's a good thing. It shows we're heading in the right direction.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:33 pm
DJBlu wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
This is a wind up surely. What is it you see that others do not? I can't believe you are making me say this but here goes, Luke Murphy was the best player on the pitch by far against MK, to say he doesn't do enough is an insult to his form of late.

And did it work? Clearly not as we won 1-0.