Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38468
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:43 pm

[b]COME ON YOU WHITES.....![/b]

There, we'll win now.... :oyea:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 3926
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by DJBlu » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 pm
Hill is playing Adam Senior as a holding midfielder & Lowe at LB
Strange decision.

Hard to get excited about this game.

Can see Weir coming off again. He got better as the half went on however seems to be behind the game by about 4 seconds.
O'Grady, very poor target man.

Darcy, Politic and Graham all putting a shift in.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38468
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:56 pm

930 brave souls (of which half sound about Whites). A win might raise a few spirits for the League game Saturday. Lousy weather, must be said.

Chicksen and Verlinden ON, Weir and Zouma OFF
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 3926
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by DJBlu » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Absolutely embarrassing defending for that goal.

Basics ffs.

Bertie Wooster
Promising
Promising
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Now 2-0 - I know that its a nothing game, but the defending yet again was absolutely shocking for that 2nd goal - everything is so half hearted & lethargic, turning our player & running 30 yards un challenged from the half way line, shit goalkeeping & a very simple tap in, yet again un marked, very similar to the goals conceded at Accrington in the league game.

I didn't comment after Saturday's game, as it wouldn't have been very complimentary - we have gone significantly backwards, even taking into account the injuries there is no spirit, energy and organisation, it's difficult so see any progress under Hill.

nicholaldo
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:45 pm

I didn't want to go to Wembley anyway.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 17192
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 pm
Hill is playing Adam Senior as a holding midfielder & Lowe at LB
Meh

If he’d run Chicksen into the ground and got him injured, there’d be complaints from plenty who’d also say the competition ain’t worth it

As for Senior, he needs minutes and if he’s as good as is made out, I’m all for him getting a rounded education

This is the least important game of the month, so the deckchair-shuffling isn’t worth getting upset about

DJBlu
Site Admin
Posts: 3926
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:38 pm

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by DJBlu » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 pm
Hill is playing Adam Senior as a holding midfielder & Lowe at LB
Meh

If he’d run Chicksen into the ground and got him injured, there’d be complaints from plenty who’d also say the competition ain’t worth it

As for Senior, he needs minutes and if he’s as good as is made out, I’m all for him getting a rounded education

This is the least important game of the month, so the deckchair-shuffling isn’t worth getting upset about
Agree it's the least important however it's a chance to get the basics right.

https://twitter.com/TOMolloy/status/1204514861419581451

That goal is unacceptable under any circumstances.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38468
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Score goals. Win games. Basic aims of football. We need a spirit lift; right now we're the "nearly" men. We can live without cups if we're winning the league games...Our defence looks pub Sunday League, not League One.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8158
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:28 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:04 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 pm
Hill is playing Adam Senior as a holding midfielder & Lowe at LB
Meh

If he’d run Chicksen into the ground and got him injured, there’d be complaints from plenty who’d also say the competition ain’t worth it

As for Senior, he needs minutes and if he’s as good as is made out, I’m all for him getting a rounded education

This is the least important game of the month, so the deckchair-shuffling isn’t worth getting upset about
Agree it's the least important however it's a chance to get the basics right.

https://twitter.com/TOMolloy/status/1204514861419581451

That goal is unacceptable under any circumstances.
That's appalling whatever your views of the competition. Plus our exit now just leaves a 5 month limp towards inevitable relegation which will not be pretty and will leave the fans getting at Hill and vice versa.

Night everyone :D
...

nicholaldo
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:00 pm

The defending was poor on Saturday and atrocious in that clip. Putting it politely, it's now becoming concerning.

But at the close of the transfer window my opinion was that we'd signed a competitive starting eleven without enough depth behind it to cope even with the routine injuries we'd encounter during the course of a season, let alone the lengthy injury list we've had to put up with. Nothing I've seen so far has changed my mind.

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8511
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:34 am

Shambolic defending there. Reinforcements urgently required.

Now we are officially out of all cups before the turn of the year😕

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35827
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:39 am

Couldn't care less.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12783
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by Hoboh » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:51 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:39 am
Couldn't care less.
Getting very much my attitude to be honest. When you are having to dig deep into google to look up players you may or may not be interested in, their names mean little and that stretches to the current squad, half of them probably flip burgers part time or are recovering I could have once been a great player but for getting injured every week types, you have your own opinions about the resources of the owners and the manager seems to walk a fine line of sanity, it's hard to be interested.
Been a Wanderer since the late 60's early 70's and always will be at heart but got to the stage if I miss the result of a game, i really don't care. :cry:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7164
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:51 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:39 am
Couldn't care less.
Getting very much my attitude to be honest. When you are having to dig deep into google to look up players you may or may not be interested in, their names mean little and that stretches to the current squad, half of them probably flip burgers part time or are recovering I could have once been a great player but for getting injured every week types, you have your own opinions about the resources of the owners and the manager seems to walk a fine line of sanity, it's hard to be interested.
Been a Wanderer since the late 60's early 70's and always will be at heart but got to the stage if I miss the result of a game, i really don't care. :cry:
I suspect Bruce was referring to the competition rather than Wanderers/football in general.

Your view does surprise me Hobes. Personally, after the horrors of summer my love for the club is as strong as it's ever been. We're a patched up squad, with, as you allude to, a manager who walks a fine line between sanity and being a potential for sectioning but they represent us.
For now.

The footys better than it has been for a while, as is the spirit amongst the club and supporters. Embrace it! We'll enjoy the good times so much more when they come back :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25858
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:51 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:39 am
Couldn't care less.
Getting very much my attitude to be honest. When you are having to dig deep into google to look up players you may or may not be interested in, their names mean little and that stretches to the current squad, half of them probably flip burgers part time or are recovering I could have once been a great player but for getting injured every week types, you have your own opinions about the resources of the owners and the manager seems to walk a fine line of sanity, it's hard to be interested.
Been a Wanderer since the late 60's early 70's and always will be at heart but got to the stage if I miss the result of a game, i really don't care. :cry:
I suspect Bruce was referring to the competition rather than Wanderers/football in general.

Your view does surprise me Hobes. Personally, after the horrors of summer my love for the club is as strong as it's ever been. We're a patched up squad, with, as you allude to, a manager who walks a fine line between sanity and being a potential for sectioning but they represent us.
For now.

The footys better than it has been for a while, as is the spirit amongst the club and supporters. Embrace it! We'll enjoy the good times so much more when they come back :D
I agree with most of this. Apart from the football being better. It isn’t. It started well with high energy and we looked attractive and strong going forwards. In recent weeks it’s been very very poor football. Worse than I can remember. Losing 7-1 at Accrington. Struggling against MK Dons and Wimbledon. It’s been poor. Poor relative to what you’d expect probably not. But still, there is precious little in recent games to write home about.

But we are where we are. There isn’t a magic wand fix, and after the summer just being competitive in games is good.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35827
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:51 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:39 am
Couldn't care less.
Getting very much my attitude to be honest. When you are having to dig deep into google to look up players you may or may not be interested in, their names mean little and that stretches to the current squad, half of them probably flip burgers part time or are recovering I could have once been a great player but for getting injured every week types, you have your own opinions about the resources of the owners and the manager seems to walk a fine line of sanity, it's hard to be interested.
Been a Wanderer since the late 60's early 70's and always will be at heart but got to the stage if I miss the result of a game, i really don't care. :cry:
I suspect Bruce was referring to the competition rather than Wanderers/football in general.

Your view does surprise me Hobes. Personally, after the horrors of summer my love for the club is as strong as it's ever been. We're a patched up squad, with, as you allude to, a manager who walks a fine line between sanity and being a potential for sectioning but they represent us.
For now.

The footys better than it has been for a while, as is the spirit amongst the club and supporters. Embrace it! We'll enjoy the good times so much more when they come back :D
I did, Harry, and what's more I agree with the rest of your post.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7164
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm

^^ on reflection perhaps I should have said more entertaining than better. Accy aberration aside we're creating more chances per game than we did per month last season. Lower quality opponents for sure but a much better watch imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38468
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:51 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:39 am
Couldn't care less.
Getting very much my attitude to be honest. When you are having to dig deep into google to look up players you may or may not be interested in, their names mean little and that stretches to the current squad, half of them probably flip burgers part time or are recovering I could have once been a great player but for getting injured every week . :cry:
That brings back old memories Hobes. Remember the poster way back who had that handle and always claimed he'd won the pools? Not sure if it was on here or the 606 site, but good fun.. :lol:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25858
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:00 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm
^^ on reflection perhaps I should have said more entertaining than better. Accy aberration aside we're creating more chances per game than we did per month last season. Lower quality opponents for sure but a much better watch imo
We are scoring more goals but as you say against weaker teams. The standard we produce of late is certainly worse than our last league one trip. Different circumstances but I’ve not felt overly entertained past few games if I’m honest. Real test will be next season of course.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 19 guests