FV Recruitment Model

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:04 pm
Do you only get home games on iFollow with an ST? If you get home and away, then might be worth it, but if it's only home, I'd stick with picking matches as I have done (albeit only missed two home or away all season on iFollow, including all the fckin junk matches)...
Not sure but I don't think so at the moment. However, if we're to head into another COVID-covered season - and let me tell you that right now I'm looking (for a work thing) at some SAGE figures which are very scary – then there must surely be more thought given to iFollow. That might include a home+away season ticket wherein visiting clubs give a % of their iFollow money to the home team - a bit like the old gate revenue-sharing in reverse. But that's all for someone else to decide.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:17 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Do you only get home games on iFollow with an ST? If you get home and away, then might be worth it, but if it's only home, I'd stick with picking matches as I have done (albeit only missed two home or away all season on iFollow, including all the fckin junk matches)...
Not sure but I don't think so at the moment. However, if we're to head into another COVID-covered season - and let me tell you that right now I'm looking (for a work thing) at some SAGE figures which are very scary – then there must surely be more thought given to iFollow. That might include a home+away season ticket wherein visiting clubs give a % of their iFollow money to the home team - a bit like the old gate revenue-sharing in reverse. But that's all for someone else to decide.
The thing is not the numbers now (assuming its those you are seeing) because the vaccination program will reduce the numbers - its the variants and if any reduce vaccine efficacy to low enough points that vaccines don't offer good herd immunity. Given the fuss they are currently making re the SA variant, in spite of protestations to the contrary, I'm willing to bet there's a reasonable chance this thing is going to need a new vaccine to really achieve the levels of immunity required...which then leads you onto....what about other variants that exist now and arise in the near future.....

Obviously that's worst case scenario and in theory once enough are vaccinated and have even a small mitigation of any severity of disease from the variants you're better placed. But better placed is not necessarily thousands piling in under football stands across the country is it?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:25 pm
The thing is not the numbers now (assuming its those you are seeing) because the vaccination program will reduce the numbers - its the variants and if any reduce vaccine efficacy to low enough points that vaccines don't offer good herd immunity. Given the fuss they are currently making re the SA variant, in spite of protestations to the contrary, I'm willing to bet there's a reasonable chance this thing is going to need a new vaccine to really achieve the levels of immunity required...which then leads you onto....what about other variants that exist now and arise in the near future.....

Obviously that's worst case scenario and in theory once enough are vaccinated and have even a small mitigation of any severity of disease from the variants you're better placed. But better placed is not necessarily thousands piling in under football stands across the country is it?
Yep. Variants are a problem. So is vaccine nationalism. So is (while I understand the desire for blanket coverage) delaying second doses long enough for the virus to mutate, as viruses do. The mRNA vaccines look reasonably adaptable for variants but I can easily foresee a world in which we get new jabs every year, similar to seasonal flu*, based on a best-guess at might what hit that winter (or a reaction to what has). And that, I'm afraid, bringing it back onto football, would mean going to the match is more of a life risk than we've ever known. Same for other crowd scenes - gigs, festivals, etc.

*NB: Covid is not similar to flu. I never said that. It's really really not.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:59 pm

Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:25 pm

Yep. Variants are a problem. So is vaccine nationalism. So is (while I understand the desire for blanket coverage) delaying second doses long enough for the virus to mutate, as viruses do. The mRNA vaccines look reasonably adaptable for variants but I can easily foresee a world in which we get new jabs every year, similar to seasonal flu*, based on a best-guess at might what hit that winter (or a reaction to what has). And that, I'm afraid, bringing it back onto football, would mean going to the match is more of a life risk than we've ever known. Same for other crowd scenes - gigs, festivals, etc.

*NB: Covid is not similar to flu. I never said that. It's really really not.
Not convinced that delaying second doses will give the virus more chance to mutate than the other route....mutation chance is increased by spread so if 1 dose is say 80% effective at reducing infection then it lowers spread across 80% of those with one dose....I guess you need some quite clever modelling to work out that risk but SAGE are supportive aren't they of the approach?

You are right that these mRNA vaccines are miracles but a new strain a) will take 3 months to get the vaccine ready for large scale development then a few months to get it scaled up then however long to distribute and vaccinate...worst case scenario is something that doesn't respond at all to existing vaccines means another X months or years waiting for mRNA vaccine number 2...and of course no guarantees you can raise a vaccine to work effectively on a new strain. Obviously that's worst case.

I agree about large scale events - in the best case scenario these all resume in summer without a hitch as vaccine works to reduce risk sufficiently for majority of people. But that's worst case then best case. A lot in between those.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:06 pm

Chris Whitty has admitted (in press conference, 5 January) delaying the second dose increases the chance of a mutation evolving with vaccine immunity. As ever, they're modelling like Billy-O to see what's the lowest-risk, trying to immunise as many as possible, and it's a horrible job and a horrible decision that I wouldn't want to make. As you say, SAGE supports the dose delay (to an extent), but England's chief medical officer is on the record as saying it increases the chances, so yeah, there's that.

Anyway, sorry, I took us off topic. But yeah - pandemic uncertainty - not good for FV, BWFC, football, life. And having covered COVID-19 for a year now, I'm not confident anything like normality is returning any day soon.

Still, maverick front man!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Some League 1 clubs lobbied for that for next season should the worst happen and fans not be allowed in. Believe it's being looked into, as many have said it's the only way they can convince fans to buy a season ticket
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:45 pm

Cheers Boris, didn't know that. I mean let's be fair, an actual ST didn't get you into away games so it's a bit weird an iFollow one should. Also, judging by yet Colchester owner earlier in the season, they might want to take the on-the-day "gate money" of more popular clubs coming to play, rather than a pre-described slice. that would be more "normal".

However, we're in times best described as "a bit weird" and not "normal", and I suspect clubs will do whatever they can to sell STs. Expect summer bitch-fights about it though.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:49 pm

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:45 pm
Cheers Boris, didn't know that. I mean let's be fair, an actual ST didn't get you into away games so it's a bit weird an iFollow one should.
Aye, but fans aren't getting much value from shit streams on home matches only for £450 a year....
Also, judging by yet Colchester owner earlier in the season, they might want to take the on-the-day "gate money" of more popular clubs coming to play, rather than a pre-described slice. that would be more "normal"
feck em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:53 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:49 pm
Cheers Boris, didn't know that. I mean let's be fair, an actual ST didn't get you into away games so it's a bit weird an iFollow one should.
Aye, but fans aren't getting much value from shit streams on home matches only for £450 a year....
This is true. Didn't think of it that way. Personally I'd be happy to spring for an iFollow ST without any Actual Attendance – if I went, I'd just swallow th extra cost - but I can see that it's a difficult balance for all concerned.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:59 pm

Personally, I renewed being 90% sure I wouldn't set foot in the ground this season. Kind of keeping up appearances, wanting to keep my seat and support the club financially. Not sure if I'll do the same next season unless I get a little more value from it somehow

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:01 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:59 pm
Personally, I renewed being 90% sure I wouldn't set foot in the ground this season. Kind of keeping up appearances, wanting to keep my seat and support the club financially. Not sure if I'll do the same next season unless I get a little more value from it somehow
You and thousands of others, understandably – even if Klopp were manager with Guardiola as chief coach.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:36 pm

Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:01 pm
boltonboris wrote:
You and thousands of others, understandably – even if Klopp were manager with Guardiola as chief coach.
Would they want to play three at the fcuking back?!?!?! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:37 pm

boltonboris wrote:
It’s a good point. Expensive do for watching streams with the kids and missus pecking your head off.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:47 pm

What were you doing in my house?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:37 pm
boltonboris wrote:
It’s a good point. Expensive do for watching streams with the kids and missus pecking your head off.
Surely no one would watch in the same room?!?!

I watch on my phone.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:37 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Surely no one would watch in the same room?!?!

I watch on my phone.
ooh God no. Had to do that once with the match that wouldn't stream - my eyes and RSI are too bad...

Here's the preferred set-up: big Mac, fishfinger panini and a cup of tea... and you lot on the mither-box :mrgreen:
IMG_3123 copy.jpg
IMG_3123 copy.jpg (57.29 KiB) Viewed 1738 times

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:13 pm

When season kicked off, I was watching in pub, so got used to phone... :-)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:18 pm

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:05 pm

Here's the preferred set-up: big Mac, fishfinger panini and a cup of tea... and you lot on the mither-box :mrgreen:
IMG_3123 copy.jpg
Fusion cuisine at its finest.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:24 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:18 pm

IMG_3123 copy.jpg
Hell yeah. Give it a whirl.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:07 pm

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:24 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:18 pm

IMG_3123 copy.jpg
Hell yeah. Give it a whirl.
You know what? I will.
Had pek chopped pork on a brioche bun recently. Taste sensation. The future Mrs LE refused to let me kiss her until I'd cleaned my teeth. Apparently smells like dog food.