FV Recruitment Model

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: FV Recruitment Model

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:59 pm

This is just an idle thought, and I don't know if it would've been financially possible, but we could've done much worse than to take advantage of the financial difficulties of that club down the road and hired their recruitment and coaching teams. I can't help but admire the quality of the players they've signed and brought through in recent years.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:22 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:59 pm
This is just an idle thought, and I don't know if it would've been financially possible, but we could've done much worse than to take advantage of the financial difficulties of that club down the road and hired their recruitment and coaching teams. I can't help but admire the quality of the players they've signed and brought through in recent years.
We could have definitely learnt a lot from them. Even in their premiership years they picked up several unknown players and sold them on for a tidy profit.

Their fans are upset at the fees Admin got for some of their recent lot, yet for what was a struggling championship side, they've sold several first team players for a million plus and half their youth team was snapped up. It's a marked difference from when we went into admin and the few assets we had to flog off.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:26 am

Club finally announce Academy departures. Info on restructure to follow next week.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2021/januar ... structure/
Bolton Wanderers Football Club has today confirmed that it has finalised the restructure of its Academy.

Following the departure of Academy Manager Jimmy Phillips which was announced in July, the Club has today announced that several members of staff, including former players David Lee, Nicky Spooner and Gavin McCann, have left the Club.
[...]
Also leaving the Academy are Steve Ellis, Paul Wroe, Ben Williams and Brian Morris.

Bolton Wanderers Chairman Sharon Brittan said: “On behalf of the Board, I’d like to place on record my sincere gratitude to David, Nicky, Gavin and all the other members of staff leaving our Academy. The restructure took longer than was originally anticipated due to the pandemic but I would like to thank them for their hard work and professionalism shown throughout this process. I wish them well for the future.”

Further details and an insight into the club’s new look Academy led by Mark Litherland will be published next week.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:39 am

Sooo..... they've fired everyone?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:24 pm

No great surprises I don't think. FYI, per BN, Steve Ellis is/was "recently retired safeguarding officer", Paul Wroe a youth coach, Ben Williams a goalkeeping coach and Brian Morris was head of recruitment but had already announced his departure on social media, like you do these days.

Spooner had been coaching the kids since 2004, Lee since 2007, McCann 2012.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:47 pm

A sad day, but not unexpected like you say. I wonder if they're on currently unaffordable contracts? The new guy came from Bury so would probably have different expectations. I wish them all well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:22 pm

Not so much the recruitment model but wider FV aims – interesting Andy Gartside quotes in today's BUFF.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... es-vision/

Partial quotes - there's much more there:
On the whole, looking at every different aspect of it going forward, we look at the term, ‘pragmatic ambition’. That’s the best way to frame it. It’s still having the ambition of being a top-end Championship club, that’s where we feel Bolton Wanderers should be, and when we get that point we’ll then assess and say ‘right, what do we need to do to get to that next level again?’. But for the first step it’s let’s get back to the Championship and then see where we are.

In terms of the long-term plan it would be remiss of any football club to predicate a business plan based on league status. There’s flexibility within the investors to carry us forward and while we don’t want to be there, we would be fine if we were to stay in League Two next season.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:22 pm

A decent summary in the BN of the Supporters' Trust's AGM. Andy Gartside goes into some detail about the financial position and the vision FV have for the club.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:24 pm

well that's weird :D

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:24 pm
well that's weird :D

Greats minds! :mrgreen:

It all sounds reassuringly under control to me. I'd much rather "pragmatic ambition" than Bassini-esque promises of a return to the PL in three years.

It interests me that there's reference to the board "and investors".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:04 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:33 pm
It all sounds reassuringly under control to me. I'd much rather "pragmatic ambition" than Bassini-esque promises of a return to the PL in three years.

It interests me that there's reference to the board "and investors".
Yep. Get the feeling there's some well-heeled folks in the background who might step forward if we do go up a notch or two.

For me, the fear is that the Championship is a miserable race to the bottom between basket-case clubs continually risking extinction by trying to get promoted to a Premier League systematically rigged against them. But that's not a very clear and present danger at the moment...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:40 pm

Arthur is a Phoenix signing I assume? Looks like our best chance at polishing a rough diamond for some money.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:40 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:40 pm
Arthur is a Phoenix signing I assume? Looks like our best chance at polishing a rough diamond for some money.
Yes, I would imagine so as they were both at Macclesfield together when Phoenix was DoF there

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:00 pm

Andy Gartside laying out nicely the ambition and I think most fans see Bolton as a top end of the championship club. Good to see FV believe they have the wherewithal to get us there then 'see what happens'. I think that's all you can do nowadays. There is no sense that you can guarantee premiership return with the money thrown at the level below now and parachute payments etc...

But the level we're at now can't be tolerated for long and I'd assume FV know this and understand the need for very fast, very vast and very deliberate improvement. Now we just have to hope they know how to achieve that. The bit that has eluded us bar a brief spell under Parky for well over a decade.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:00 pm
Andy Gartside laying out nicely the ambition and I think most fans see Bolton as a top end of the championship club. Good to see FV believe they have the wherewithal to get us there then 'see what happens'. I think that's all you can do nowadays. There is no sense that you can guarantee premiership return with the money thrown at the level below now and parachute payments etc...

But the level we're at now can't be tolerated for long and I'd assume FV know this and understand the need for very fast, very vast and very deliberate improvement. Now we just have to hope they know how to achieve that. The bit that has eluded us bar a brief spell under Parky for well over a decade.
The reports from Gartside does also point to "spending another year in L2 wouldn't be a financial disaster" - which seems to point to a plan that's not reliant on L1 revenue projections in the immediate term.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:00 pm

The reports from Gartside does also point to "spending another year in L2 wouldn't be a financial disaster" - which seems to point to a plan that's not reliant on L1 revenue projections in the immediate term.
I mean he can't come out and say otherwise when our chances of promotion are slim to none. So there better be a financial plan to get us through. But of course what the great unknown is what the plan actually is - and how reliant it is on projections. In normal circumstances the crowds would be down now there'd have been a lot of dissent and the prospects for reasonable crowds next season would be dismal. And therefore the pressure would be immediately felt - on any plan, regardless of breathing room.

My concern is that I know a few long standing ST holders some I sit with some I don't and some I used to who've all been going regularly since late 80s early 90s at the least. I've spoken to 4 of them and none have said they'd renew next season. I know its highly anecdotal and people say these things in heat of the moment. But personally I've watched the games and more often than not been relieved at the end to turn it off and not have the drive home or the cold toes to deal with! There is this big unknown - will crowds go up after people are 'released' or go down as people have simply got out of the habit of trudging down to the ground on a Saturday. Especially if we are looking hapless or even if we improve a bit - is it inspiring folk? Its a big unknown a big question mark and why any plan for me is likely to need very careful contingency planning to deal with at this end of the football pyramid.

If things look up I'd probably renew because frankly I always have and supported the club - if we end up finishing like we've played most of the season and Evatt is tasked with improving it next year I'd probably have some very serious thoughts. I'd certainly not want to renew but likely would simply out of 'duty'. But that's not a good place to be in and like I say I'm not alone. This is not FV's fault at all, the circumstances are unique but I do have my very deep worries about BWFC and its future right now - because FV are good people who have saved the club, but the circumstances around it through no fault of their own and the circumstances on the pitch are making this quite a risky venture on top of something that was naturally high risk.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:35 pm

ST renewals tend to go down in the second year after relegation. They were remarkably high in summer but I doubt they'd go up much if we got a dull pragmatic manager. Then again I'm still awaiting the 5k extra flooding back post-Megson and post-Freedman. Maybe, as you say, people talk a lot in the heat of the moment – and maybe if they don't renew it might be to do with the pandemic. Anybody going in the late 80s is likely to be pushing 50 at least and therefore perhaps ill-advised to join crowds right now. I know that if and when the doors reopen I'll be more worried about a virus than about Evatt.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:57 pm

I think that’s a big one - if you can’t, for example, go to the pub in July are you really going to risk buying a ST to be told it’s online only until Christmas?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:04 pm

Do you only get home games on iFollow with an ST? If you get home and away, then might be worth it, but if it's only home, I'd stick with picking matches as I have done (albeit only missed two home or away all season on iFollow, including all the fckin junk matches)...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:35 pm
ST renewals tend to go down in the second year after relegation. They were remarkably high in summer but I doubt they'd go up much if we got a dull pragmatic manager. Then again I'm still awaiting the 5k extra flooding back post-Megson and post-Freedman. Maybe, as you say, people talk a lot in the heat of the moment – and maybe if they don't renew it might be to do with the pandemic. Anybody going in the late 80s is likely to be pushing 50 at least and therefore perhaps ill-advised to join crowds right now. I know that if and when the doors reopen I'll be more worried about a virus than about Evatt.
Yeah I agree. I don't think anyone, even myself, is het up about Evatt per se. Its just the general failure - this season even by our dreadful standards has been yet another low point - yet was billed as the start of the glorious comeback. Supposedly everything was in place. Yet once again that was an illusion. Evatt says we've suffered without fans yet I think we've been quite lucky - many who in the ground would let emotion take over their decision making (fans I mean) are simply just deflated watching online.

But whatever the situation whoever the manager whether its bloody Mike Bassett or Ian Evatt or anyone else there needs to be success - on the pitch. Far less talking. Far fewer empty promises. But far far far far more delivered. And next season I'm not convinced there are more chances after that. So the pressure is on. I think pressure and demands are a good thing. Allardyce for example thrived here on the fact that if he couldn't take the club into the premiership its very existence was under huge threat. We need that because I personally think things have been too cosy in the past couple of years. We need to be cutthroat and take the bull by the horns.