The Keith Hill out thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Keith Hill out thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Just been named as Tranmere's new manager. fecking delighted for them 🤣🤣🤣
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:36 pm

Great news, I hadn’t realised they had given the last fella the boot. Thought they still blamed Accrington Stanley’s chairman for there relegation!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:48 pm

I think he'll do well for them.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:14 pm

Depends if he still has the voices in his head. No Flitcroft either - I thought he was the brains of the operation. I do think FV pulled the plug on him a bit - with Chicksen possibly not his decision. We are still well rid though - this club was too big for him. Tranmere is more his level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:00 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:14 pm
No Flitcroft either - I thought he was the brains of the operation. I do think FV pulled the plug on him a bit - with Chicksen possibly not his decision.
I think the deck-clearing that included Chicksen was his idea, partly in a fit of pique and partly to pave the way for another recruitment drive - but that never came, and I think that *was* FV cutting their cloth and their losses.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:02 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
No Flitcroft either - I thought he was the brains of the operation.
I was once sat no more than 10ft from the Bury dugout when Flitcroft was their manager.

Take a Sunday morning stroll down onto any parks pitch and you'll hear the managers of Ring o' Bells Villa / Ujpest Wagon and Horses and the likes trotting out the exact same banal, meaningless, dare I say embarrassing platitudes that you'll hear being bellowed out by Flitcroft. "Come on lads, we're better than this", "Hit the corners, hit the corners", "It's still nil-nil, lads" (upon his side going one up", "You're ball watching", "Come on (insert nickname), you're a yard quicker than him" and so on; a patter completely unencumbered by technical suggestions and coaching nous.

I'd venture that David Flitcroft isn't even the football brains in their house!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:02 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
No Flitcroft either - I thought he was the brains of the operation.
I was once sat no more than 10ft from the Bury dugout when Flitcroft was their manager.

Take a Sunday morning stroll down onto any parks pitch and you'll hear the managers of Ring o' Bells Villa / Ujpest Wagon and Horses and the likes trotting out the exact same banal, meaningless, dare I say embarrassing platitudes that you'll hear being bellowed out by Flitcroft. "Come on lads, we're better than this", "Hit the corners, hit the corners", "It's still nil-nil, lads" (upon his side going one up", "You're ball watching", "Come on (insert nickname), you're a yard quicker than him" and so on; a patter completely unencumbered by technical suggestions and coaching nous.

I'd venture that David Flitcroft isn't even the football brains in their house!
Certainly not the legal brains.... #superinjunction

i wouldn't argue with your analysis of his bedside manner. It's worth noting though that to some extent, it's worked: he got Bury promoted, had Swindon in the play-off zone with a 50% win record, and got Mansfield to the play-offs as well. I'll also note that a journalist who knows both men involved doubted Hill would have any success at Bolton without Flitcroft.

So where does that leave Hill, a man who twice led Rochdale out of this division? Well, while I rarely like to invoke negative emotions and I certainly wish Hill no ill for his Bolton reign, considering his new job I hope it leaves him struggling badly. But it's definitely worth noting that for all the touchline gormlessness, these men are far from the least successful managers to roam the planet, which – as well as giving one pause for concern as to the skill levels of the others - suggests that for some players, clappy-clappy is all they need... while things are going well. Ask Owen Coyle. My fervent hope is that our current manager, for all his airport self-help manual You Can Do This chatter, has a bit more depth to him. Certainly he seems to be turning things around from a bad start in a way some other managers never quite managed.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Let's hope the turnaround is for real. I would have been happy to jettison him early, perhaps due to running out of patience after such a run of BWFC misery or perhaps because I'm a massive bellend. However I'd love to be proved wrong and if so I'll happily sit down with my.knife and fork to a plate with some words on it.
What I'm trying to say is I'll eat my words.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:19 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:44 pm
Let's hope the turnaround is for real. I would have been happy to jettison him early, perhaps due to running out of patience after such a run of BWFC misery or perhaps because I'm a massive bellend. However I'd love to be proved wrong and if so I'll happily sit down with my.knife and fork to a plate with some words on it.
What I'm trying to say is I'll eat my words.
:lol: A Partridge for all seasons!

Hill still annoys me. The fanbase gave him such backing, ignored all the early warning signs and forgave him when he was quite clearly talking bollocks. Yet he repaid that by being critical of the supporters and the criticism he was supposedly receiving, that only he knew about.

To be fair, he did, for a short spell, have us playing some decent stuff and his hurried recruitment did find some decent players. I worry he may do well for that lot.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:38 am

Aye what was the game Hill went on a massive rant out of nowhere? It was even after the Accrington debacle which is the game that makes me think he has lost whatever he had - depends what their coaches are like for me, and how much he listens to them. He’s starting on a similar footing to Megson here when you read the reaction to it online. They are massively pissed off they have appointed our cast off.

We’re all basically sitting here worrying he might do alright - but we are playing a longer game with a young manager. Keith Hills a feck* dinosaur- he will get sacked eventually.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:33 pm
I'll also note that a journalist who knows both men involved doubted Hill would have any success at Bolton without Flitcroft.
But presumably wasn't daft enough to claim Hill would have any success at Bolton with Flitcroft either. :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 am

He's just been sacked by Tranmere :shock:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:53 am
Blimey! That's a bold move. They'd obviously lost any faith that he could get them back playing to the levels they were at around January/February.

I don't think many Tranmere fans will be sorry to see him go.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue May 11, 2021 10:05 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

😂 Not sure if that improves or diminishes their play off chances. Hopefully the latter!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 11, 2021 10:06 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:05 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:

😂 Not sure if that improves or diminishes their play off chances. Hopefully the latter!
Massively improves I'd say.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue May 11, 2021 10:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:06 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I think it means Ali Crawford has played his last game for em.

Poison chalice that man.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 11, 2021 10:12 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Well, it'll take a cleverer clog than me to make sense of Mark Palios's thinking. This is what he had to say prior to putting Ian Dawes (previous managerial experience Carshalton Athletic, Dorking, Redhill) in charge ahead of their opening game with Morecambe)

“Despite success achieved on the pitch in the form of securing a place in the Play-Offs and reaching the Papa John’s Trophy final, in the Play-Offs an entire season gets distilled into two or three games,” Palios said in a statement.
He added: “I have to do what I think gives us the best chance of achieving promotion in those games and I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that means making the change before the semi-finals begin.” :conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 11, 2021 10:13 am

DJBlu wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:10 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I think it means Ali Crawford has played his last game for em.

Poison chalice that man.
Not played that much for them and has no goals and no assists there. One to send on his merry way if we can.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 11, 2021 10:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:13 am

Not played that much for them and has no goals and no assists there. One to send on his merry way if we can.
I'm wondering how many of Crawford's issues are in his head? A fantastic player for us until getting carried off against City's kids.
Not even a shadow of his former self since he returned.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 11, 2021 10:21 am

Anyway, I bet that Brian Barry-Murphy's a nervous boy this morning!