COVID-19/20 season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: COVID-19/20 season

Post by DJBlu » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:32 am

Just shows how self serving the organisations are. Balls to the fact over 20 thousand people have died from this. Balls to the fact many more might. As long as we can continue the season.

Peter Ridsdale has piped up the past couple of days to say promotion and relegation must go ahead. Funny as his team sit in 6th in the Championship. He's today said the Premier League must distribute the cash more fairly down the pyramid.

Self serving slimey scumbags, the lot of em.

Football is not important right now. Not one bit. We are in the midst of one of the biggest crisises we will probably see in our lifetime.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:14 am

If the season does continue there's going to be claims galore, especially if any of the players come down with Covid. Resume or declare the season void will cause problems either way. Money at all cost regardless of safety.
The final decision should come from the PM not the PL.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:18 am

Athertonian wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:14 am
If the season does continue there's going to be claims galore, especially if any of the players come down with Covid. Resume or declare the season void will cause problems either way. Money at all cost regardless of safety.
The final decision should come from the PM not the PL.
I guess the premier league know the null and voiding will leave them open to claims from Liverpool and Man Utd. And the premier league are scared of that. Plus risk of big clubs taking ball home entirely. It really is time that these clubs were stood up to and had their bluffs called. But it won't happen, because you and I know that there is a real risk they just decide to do their own thing. So its a mess and clubs like us are the sacrificial lambs. What upsets me most is the media pretending this isn't happening - why aren't they reporting properly on the huge crisis facing well over half of the football league? Because if they actually reported on it someone might have to do something and I think much of football journalism is nose deep in the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea.....

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:42 pm

Indeed. A difficult decision has to be made. No matter what the outcome, someone will be more upset than the other. We all know Covid isn't going away quickly. If anymore Countries decide to call it a day, the more pressure on the PL to follow suit.
One thing for sure, we know life isn't going to be the same for a long time yet, probably longer than we believe.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:53 pm

We're staying up. According to WhatsApp.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ssion=true
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Fri May 01, 2020 10:13 am

There will be an announcement soon to call all leagues null and void. Some will be happy and others wont be. As for claims? I can't see how anyone can sue because the season becomes void, especially when a pandemic is the reason.

Should the season begin again in August, I'm sure the EFL have a little up their sleeve, they will hit us once more with another points deduction, they ain't finished with us yet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 01, 2020 10:21 am

Athertonian wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:13 am
There will be an announcement soon to call all leagues null and void. Some will be happy and others wont be. As for claims? I can't see how anyone can sue because the season becomes void, especially when a pandemic is the reason.

Should the season begin again in August, I'm sure the EFL have a little up their sleeve, they will hit us once more with another points deduction, they ain't finished with us yet.
An announcement? Or do you mean pressure? I can't see the premiership doing this - they are determined to finish.

I think we're a long way from null and voiding - I suspect IF season cannot complete and that seems quite likely in league 2 they will use an average PPG method. Not null and void it. And I'd be delighted with that.

The problem with null and void or PPG is that the leagues are open to claims because their rules and regs state leagues must be completed. And clubs who lose out at the higher ends of the game have deep pockets to pursue damages. Or indeed breakaway altogether.

The problem is clear - in August we'll still have to play behind closed doors if we can at all. In December that will still almost certainly be the case. BUT for me a brand new season would at least allow the sale of digital tickets. I worry that the takeup will be low though.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri May 01, 2020 10:25 am

Leaving aside our issues for the moment, as I can’t be fecked speculating, far more important things. What I don’t get is if say Sheff U have a bout of covid and they all come down with it, how is that then fair if they are being forced to complete games which they lose and miss out on Europe?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 01, 2020 11:33 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:25 am
Leaving aside our issues for the moment, as I can’t be fecked speculating, far more important things. What I don’t get is if say Sheff U have a bout of covid and they all come down with it, how is that then fair if they are being forced to complete games which they lose and miss out on Europe?
I guess the issue is that we're going to be living with the virus for the forseeable. Lets say best case is 18 months. You don't play football during that time and you effectively destroy most clubs even some premiership ones.

So I get the argument that like most businesses they have to try and return in some form. Its about timing and how you do it. And whenever you do it the risk is players get sick. Whether September or January or March I'm not sure the risk will change. It will go up and down but there isn't likely to be an "ok its safe to go back to normal" for a long long time. So say you start in July with a low R0 but then it goes up- that will happen until a vaccine is found if ever.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri May 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Club statement. Agreement reach on deferring player and management salaries.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/may/a- ... the-board/
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 06, 2020 4:23 pm

German season starting behind closed doors is good news!? What I don’t get though is if some team member does get a positive test result then surely the entire rest of the team has to self isolate? And the knock on effect that will have...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed May 06, 2020 6:36 pm

Torygraph reckons L1 & 2 clubs will vote to end the season next week. Paywall, but you get the gist from what you can read for free.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -efl-vote/
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 06, 2020 7:17 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:36 pm
Torygraph reckons L1 & 2 clubs will vote to end the season next week. Paywall, but you get the gist from what you can read for free.
A shame if so but understandable. What would they propose doing promotion/relegation wise in L1 and L2? Would you stay up?

I’m all for giving PL football a go behind closed doors, especially if it’s on tv, though will be very weird to hear no stadium noise, it’s better then nothing. 2 years ago today my son was mascot in Arsene Wengers last ever home match and I’ve been wallowing in football nostalgia this afternoon. I miss it so much!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:17 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
A shame if so but understandable. What would they propose doing promotion/relegation wise in L1 and L2? Would you stay up?

I’m all for giving PL football a go behind closed doors, especially if it’s on tv, though will be very weird to hear no stadium noise, it’s better then nothing. 2 years ago today my son was mascot in Arsene Wengers last ever home match and I’ve been wallowing in football nostalgia this afternoon. I miss it so much!

And do you miss your son? I assume he's in care now.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed May 06, 2020 10:08 pm

:lol:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 06, 2020 10:34 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:

And do you miss your son? I assume he's in care now.
:D He was only 7 at the time and just getting into football. That day made him as obsessed as I am with Arsenal. Now he’s aged 9 staring forlornly at you tube watching pre season games from seasons way back missing it too!
Attachments
9F52A094-20CC-424F-890E-E5FFD63D411D.jpeg
9F52A094-20CC-424F-890E-E5FFD63D411D.jpeg (162.39 KiB) Viewed 4891 times

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 06, 2020 10:50 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
though will be very weird to hear no stadium noise
Really? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 06, 2020 10:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:50 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
though will be very weird to hear no stadium noise
Really? :D
D’ya know what? As I wrote that I KNEW someone would make a comment that way.... :roll: :whack:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 06, 2020 11:17 pm

We've just bought a flat that looks out directly at the Emirates, 400m across the train tracks. Not sure it's even double glazed :)
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed May 06, 2020 11:40 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:17 pm
We've just bought a flat that looks out directly at the Emirates, 400m across the train tracks. Not sure it's even double glazed :)
Jealous! Come to a game next season Pru!