COVID-19/20 season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: COVID-19/20 season

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:14 pm
Nothing before the 30th April now at the earliest.
...which means our first game might be at Oxford, Prufrock... (Except I doubt we'll be allowed out.)

In other moves: from their side, FIFA are happy to relax the "June 30" contract-ending rules, to allow potential flexibility to finish seasons. The FA, PL, EFL, WSL, PFA & LMA met today and (per Press Association) the idea of voiding the season wasn't even discussed: "We are united in our commitment to finding ways of resuming the 2019/20 football season and ensuring all domestic and European club league and cup matches are played as soon as it is safe and possible to do so."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1646728

Seems right to me. I still think we're a long way from kicking a ball – so much so that we might end up playing a half-season next time to level up the calendar. But the way the chairs were moved aside for a winter World Cup demonstrated that things can be done.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:46 pm

Johnson says we can "turn the tide" (whatever that might mean) in 12 weeks, but only if everyone follows the guidance. A very optimistic view would be that normality begins to return in mid-June. I think that's highly unlikely. Like you, DSB, I suspect 20/21 might well be half a season - ie teams play each other only once (or twice if half the sides go bust).
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Athertonian
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Athertonian » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:32 pm

I have no doubt this season is over and will probably struggle to begin a new one in August. I read earlier that amateur leagues have been called void which gives my home Town club Atherton colls another chance at the Northern prem.

As yet, nothing has been mentioned whether the Premier League or the EFL will follow suit. If this is called Bolton will begin next term on zero points and remain in the first Division? Which ever decision is made there will be controversy. How does everyone else see this?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:24 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:14 pm
Nothing before the 30th April now at the earliest.
...which means our first game might be at Oxford, Prufrock... (Except I doubt we'll be allowed out.)

In other moves: from their side, FIFA are happy to relax the "June 30" contract-ending rules, to allow potential flexibility to finish seasons. The FA, PL, EFL, WSL, PFA & LMA met today and (per Press Association) the idea of voiding the season wasn't even discussed: "We are united in our commitment to finding ways of resuming the 2019/20 football season and ensuring all domestic and European club league and cup matches are played as soon as it is safe and possible to do so."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1646728

Seems right to me. I still think we're a long way from kicking a ball – so much so that we might end up playing a half-season next time to level up the calendar. But the way the chairs were moved aside for a winter World Cup demonstrated that things can be done.
Or we could actually do something to save the lower leagues and call this season - null and void and start afresh. Without a new season and summer ST sales how many L1/2 clubs will survive? Not many. I fear for us in this scenario. I would set some parameters.

New season has to start by 1st September. There needs to be a minimum of a 6 week close season. So work back - if current season can safely complete by mid-July then ok. If not - cancel it and move on. The obsession with completing the season will destroy a lot of clubs.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:21 am

Emma Beaugeard speaks to 5 Live about the role of the hotel at the moment:
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/march/ ... io-5-live/

Well done BWFC
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Athertonian
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Athertonian » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:28 am

The longer this virus lingers the longer football will remain absent.
There are many clubs treading water and worried for their survival in these current climes. Who will be the first club to announce they're experiencing financial problems.
There are too many clubs relying on the money from TV rights, Sky being the main supplier. If what they say is true that normality will not return until next year I can see more than one club going to the wall. I will say either Ipswich or Derby will be one of the first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:30 am

Bolton furloughed lots of staff today. And warning of job losses.

Not good. Yet the premiership are still hell bent on protecting their season. Clubs like ours probably won't exist by the time we can raise significant income by selling STs for the next season. But so long as the big boys get to complete the season who actually cares?