Tony Dunne R.I.P

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Tony Dunne R.I.P

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:58 pm

Sadly died today. One of our 78 promotion winning side and the left back when I first started watching Wanderers. He replaced Don Mcalister presumably.

Described as a Rolls Royce of a player in his Utd days. He was always our Mr Reliable and never seemed to flap under pressure. R.I.P
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tony Dunne R.I.P

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:27 pm

Really sad to hear this. As with Harry, Dunne was our Left Back when I first started going in 74. As far as I knew he'd been there forever - it'd be a further couple of years before I got to learn of his illustrious past.

On a personal note, in 1977 when I was 10/11, a number of Wanderers players took part in a fund raising Golf day at Dunscar GC on behalf of Eagley Sports Club and Tony Dunne allowed me to caddy for him. My two abiding memories are; a/ turning his trolley over on the 16th, and b/ him giving me a fiver at the end of it. It was a little like somebody handing you £500 in today's money. :)

As a player I remember him as never doing anything flashy and never doing any rash. Always calm. Always composed and accurate.

RIP Tony.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:42 pm

He was a very good polished full back, I started watching the whites in 1975, my 1st game being Sunderland at home with 42,000 on and big Sam's bullet header from a Peter Thompson corner, Tony Dunne played in that game.

RIP Tony.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:31 pm

RIP Tony. Great memories from back in the day.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:08 am

Rest in peace Tony. Another chapter of Whites history closed.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?