Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TheN5Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Summer 2020 transfers

Post by TheN5Trotter » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:31 pm

Who replaces Hill and Flitcroft
Who joins Bolton? How many? We have 10 1st team players under contract
Predictions for next season?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:48 am

To be frank there are far too many unknowns to make any kind of guess about the shape of the squad.

Firstly - when will the season start? Iles suggested mid September on his blog yesterday. I have no idea where he has got this from I have seen nothing official.

When it starts matters - when can we start selling season tickets and getting some income in? How long a pre season do we get - you have atheletes who have had 3/4 months off work, they need a training regime again.

Then you have a lot of signings to be made - some could stay from last seasons squad. Matthews, Lowe, Crawford, Emanuel, o Grady, Murphy (doubtful) I would take. Given the uncertainty around football are they going to be more tempted to stick with what they know? I would say Bunney owes us as well - ridiculous injury which the club did well to keep a lid on. Keeping those could give us a stable core to start pre season with and a bit of wriggle room for signings.

When can we make signings though? Will the windows be abolished this season? Premier league and championship playing on till August won’t help - no players going out there until the seaSon finishes. Then what? If we go straight into next season are bigger clubs more likely to keep hold of players as injury cover?

Wages - going to be a massive readjustment and that will be felt more at the bottom. Hopefully the gravitas of playing at Bolton will help us sign some reasonable players at this level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:58 am

Aye, you can also add - who's making the signings? Seems like Tobias Phoenix is the man in charge, but does he start making moves before a new managed - or effectively, head coach – is appointed? Possibly, as the idea is that the coach doesn't matter - but surely an experienced one would have some input, even if only on a suggestion basis.

We've got half a dozen players contracted, maybe half a dozen more who might stay if asked (if). So we've a dozen players to find. That's a hell of a turnover and while I repeat I'm glad that short-term contracts mean we are able to clear the deadwood every summer, it still makes it a big old job even in a normal summer. With a new man in charge, it's even bigger; with a new guy above him, it's bigger still; and then you've got the pandemic, the shifting of the timings, and the fact that lots of players are going to be out of contract because lots of clubs won't know what they can afford to pay.

I get the feeling this "summer" is going to involve a lot of trialists, at a lot of clubs. Again, not necessarily a bad thing but at that point you need a network - "I've passed on signing this lad but if you need a winger..." - and while I don't regret us potting Hill, you get the impression he and Flicker would have hit the phones hard. How many people does Phoenix know? He's an ex-agent so he presumably knows lots of numbers, but do they like him? Just one more unknown in a year full of them.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Surely you need a manager/head coach in place to make signings? Players will want to know who is picking the side before signing- if they sign and somebody they have fallen out with turns up in charge it’s a bit of an error! Only exception is players who were here last season who might re-sign for stability.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:03 pm

It is all very well Phoenix signing players, presumably to fit a general way/style of play, but you've got to get a manager/head coach to fit that way/style too. What if we sign players to fit a pass and move style of play but are only able to get a manager to come to us that can only manage clogging? Some players might also want to know who is bossing/mentoring them before jumping aboard.

I think it needs to start with manager/coach whilst figuring out who is amenable to to staying for what they'll be paid.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:55 pm

While I understand the objections above, presumably no DoF would be daft enough to hire a coach who is anathema to the desired brand of football. But anyway, they seem to be working on getting the "head coach" in first.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:06 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:03 pm
It is all very well Phoenix signing players, presumably to fit a general way/style of play, but you've got to get a manager/head coach to fit that way/style too. What if we sign players to fit a pass and move style of play but are only able to get a manager to come to us that can only manage clogging? Some players might also want to know who is bossing/mentoring them before jumping aboard.

I think it needs to start with manager/coach whilst figuring out who is amenable to to staying for what they'll be paid.
The idea of the system is that your recruitment of players remains a constant. Your coaching setup remains a constant. If your manager or head coach goes you have everything behind in place to continue with a new bloke and no need to rip up your youth systems or recruitment. It’s worked elsewhere.

I personally think the key is to just do it if you want to. Bringing managers in who don’t want to work in that system means you never end up in a position to build that way of working. The trouble with it is that it relies heavily on judgement of DoF, so they become critical.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:06 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

The idea of the system is that your recruitment of players remains a constant. Your coaching setup remains a constant. If your manager or head coach goes you have everything behind in place to continue with a new bloke and no need to rip up your youth systems or recruitment. It’s worked elsewhere.

I personally think the key is to just do it if you want to. Bringing managers in who don’t want to work in that system means you never end up in a position to build that way of working. The trouble with it is that it relies heavily on judgement of DoF, so they become critical.
Oh, I get the concept. My worry is that we're fishing in a very small pool for this head coach, so marrying that up to a way of playing may be more difficult for us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:22 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:06 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Oh, I get the concept. My worry is that we're fishing in a very small pool for this head coach, so marrying that up to a way of playing may be more difficult for us.
But we've got the perfect opportunity to do it. No players. No money and no manager. We''re at the point where - its worth a go. We've got little to lose.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:35 pm

Seems very likely we will be looking to build a team around Politic and Darcy, who I would assume will be two of the best players in the division.

Looking at who else from last season's squad we may have a chance of re-signing, I'd like Emmanuel, Bunney and Crawford. Lowe and Matthews would be nice but I can't see being short of more attractive offers at higher levels.

Edit: I suppose getting Crawford back might also be a tad ambitious, but perhaps his injury record might put other suitors off.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:57 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:35 pm
Seems very likely we will be looking to build a team around Politic and Darcy, who I would assume will be two of the best players in the division.
Woah, careful mate. Let's keep them in the Promising Youngsters category rather than assume they'll boss a division.
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:35 pm
Looking at who else from last season's squad we may have a chance of re-signing, I'd like Emmanuel, Bunney and Crawford. Lowe and Matthews would be nice but I can't see being short of more attractive offers at higher levels.
Here's the list of players whose contracts lapse this month and would therefore have been told by now, in the normal run of things, if they were being released or offered a new contract. Feel free to quote-paste your should-they-stay-or-go suggestions.

Remi Matthews
Josh Emmanuel
Jack Hobbs
Yoan Zouma
Joe Bunney
Jason Lowe
Luke Murphy
Jacob Mellis
Ali Crawford
Ronan Darcy
Joe Dodoo
Chris O'Grady
Daryl Murphy
Connor Hall

Loanees leaving: Ethan Hamilton, Toto Nsiala, Kean Bryan, Brandon Fleming and Anthony Georgiou; all bar Hamilton, whose contract length is unknown, still have a year left at their parent clubs.

Still under contract: Harry Brockbank, Ryan Delaney, George Thomason, Mo Faal, Liam Edwards, Dennis Politic

My tupporth:
Remi Matthews - no chance he won't get better offers
Jack Hobbs - has surely proved himself too risky
Yoan Zouma - there's a player there but I'm still not sure it's a centre-back
Luke Murphy - good luck but no
Jacob Mellis - not immediately. maybe later
Daryl Murphy - doubt he'll drop down again
Connor Hall - sadly hasn't proven himself
Jason Lowe - I'd keep him but I doubt he'll stay
Ali Crawford - it'd be lovely but I doubt it
Josh Emmanuel - I'd be happy for him to stay but won't weep if he leaves
Joe Dodoo - adaptable and showed flashes; as per Emmanuel
Chris O'Grady - adaptable and worked hard. not the worst option
Joe Bunney - probably won't get a better offer and I'd be intrigued to see what he's like
Ronan Darcy - will hopefully grab his chance here in the new fast-track set-up

So it seems there's not that many players that I would be both sad and surprised to see leave.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:57 pm

My tupporth:
Remi Matthews - no chance he won't get better offers
Jack Hobbs - has surely proved himself too risky
Yoan Zouma - there's a player there but I'm still not sure it's a centre-back
Luke Murphy - good luck but no
Jacob Mellis - not immediately. maybe later
Daryl Murphy - doubt he'll drop down again
Connor Hall - sadly hasn't proven himself
Jason Lowe - I'd keep him but I doubt he'll stay
Ali Crawford - it'd be lovely but I doubt it
Josh Emmanuel - I'd be happy for him to stay but won't weep if he leaves
Joe Dodoo - adaptable and showed flashes; as per Emmanuel
Chris O'Grady - adaptable and worked hard. not the worst option
Joe Bunney - probably won't get a better offer and I'd be intrigued to see what he's like
Ronan Darcy - will hopefully grab his chance here in the new fast-track set-up

So it seems there's not that many players that I would be both sad and surprised to see leave.
Can't disagree much with that DSB. I'd certainly be happy for any of them to stay, even Luke Murphy but not too sad at the idea of many if them leaving.

In the real world I'd want to keep
Zouma
Dodoo and Emmanuel- I think both of these could have options higher up.
Darcy

Hamilton, Crawford, Durphy or Bryan. I'd be delighted if we could persuade any of those to drop down a division.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:47 pm

Club's just tweeted a 15-minute countdown to a 5pm reveal of "one of our own" with a signing emoji. Fingers crossed it's Darcy done and dusted.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:47 pm
Club's just tweeted a 15-minute countdown to a 5pm reveal of "one of our own" with a signing emoji. Fingers crossed it's Darcy done and dusted.
It is....

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:02 pm

It's Darcy.

What fantastic news.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Two years. Good lad, and well done to the club.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:03 pm

How's your lower-league knowledge? Mine's rubbish but here's a list of players already released by D3/4 clubs, and those out of contract but still talking to their (current) clubs. Remember that even with a shiny new manager (whoever it is), a new transfer policy and a big-ass stadium we still can't buy anyone, so these lads may represent the bulk of our options.

Deadline for submitting released/retained lists to the EFL was 23rd June but there's no public word yet from D3 playoffers Wycombe, Oxford, Pompey and Fleetwood, plus Donny, Ipswich and Tranmere. In D4, no news emanating from Exeter or Northampton (play-off finalists), Colchester (who lost a playoff semi the other night) or Oldham (basket case). Colchester said back in April they wouldn't extend any contracts until the coronavirus mist has cleared, so apparently that leaves Luke Prosser, Frank Nouble, Ryan Jackson and Brandon Comley available.

NFW am I endeavouring to keep this up to date but it's perhaps a starting point for discussion and perhaps also an illustration of the potential fluidity in this summer's job market. You can also pore over it for ex-Wanderers, of whom there are plenty.

League One

Accrington Stanley
Released
Dimi Evitmov
Zaine Francis-Angol
Erico de Sousa
Wilson Carvalho
Phil Edwards

AFC Wimbledon
Released
Rod McDonald
Reuben Collins
Anthony Wordsworth
Mitch Pinnock
Finlay Macnab
Scott Wagstaff
Kyron Stabana
Kwesi Appiah
Tommy Wood
Dylan Connolly
Ossama Ashley

Blackpool
Released
Myles Boney
Yusifu Ceesay
Armand Gnaduillet
Sean Graham
Mark Howard
Chris Mafoumbi
Jay Spearing
Sean Scannell
Owen Watkinson
Negotiating/Contracts offered to

Chris Maxwell
Ollie Turton
Cameron Antwi

Bristol Rovers
Released
Tony Craig
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis
Liam Sercombe
Sam Matthews
Tom Nichols
Gavin Reilly
Ben Morgan
Josh Bailey
Lewis Clutton
Rhys Kavanagh
Theo Widdrington
Ollie Clarke
Liam Armstrong
Lucas Tomlinson
Harry Warwick

Burton Albion
Released
Stephen Bywater
Ethan Vale
Joe Sbarra
Kwame Thomas
Kieran Wallace
Ben Hart
Stephen Quinn
Colin Daniel
Oliver Sarkic
Scott Fraser

Coventry City
Released
Jordy Hiwula
Junior Brown
Reise Allassani
Charlie Wakefield
Callum Maycock
Dexter Walters
Bouwe Bosma
Jak Hickman
Tom Billson

Gillingham
Released
Mark Byrne (Invited to prove fitness at pre-season training)
Ouesseynou Cisse
Ben Pringle
Max Ehmer
Brandon Hanlan
Mikael Mandron
Regan Charles-Cook
Henry Woods

Lincoln City
Released
Charlie Andrew
Michael Bostwick
Neal Eardley
Lee Frecklington
Akeem Hinds
Jamie McCombe
Tom Pett
Jason Shackell
Alan Sheehan
Grant Smith
Josh Vickers
Ellis Chapman

MK Dons
Released

Dylan Asonganyi
Ben Gladwin
Ryan Harley
Joe Mason
Stuart Moore
Jordan Moore-Taylor
Charlie Pattison
Ben Reeves
Laurie Walker
Callum Brittain
Dean Lewington
Joe Walsh

Peterborough United
Released
Aron Chapman
Connor O’Malley
Rhys Bennett
Alex Woodyard
Callum Cooke
Marcus Maddison

Rochdale
Released

Ian Henderson
Aaron Wilbraham
Calvin Andrew
Josh Lillis
Callum Camps
Ryan McLaughlin
MJ Williams
Matty Gillam

Rotherham
Released

Julien Lamy
Laurence Bilboe
Lewis Price
Billy Jones

Shrewsbury Town
Released
Romain Vincelot
Joe Murphy
Lifumpa Mwandwe
Kian Taylor
Josh Laurent
Omar Beckles
Ryan Barnett
Harry Burgoyne
Cameron Gregory

Southend
Released

Mark Milligan
Luke Hyam
Sam Mantom
Theo Robinson
Henry Burnett
John White
Stephen McLaughlin
Sam Barratt

Sunderland
Released
Duncan Watmore
Alim Ozturk
Jack Baldwin
Ethan Robson
Joel Lynch
Jon McLaughlin
Tom Flanagan

League Two
Bradford City
Released

Kelvin Mellor
Jake Reeves
Shay McCartan
Jordan Gibson
Jermaine Anderson
Hope Apkan
Adam Henley
Daniel Devine
Joe Riley
George Sykes-Kenworthy
Richard O’Donnell

Cambridge United
Released

Jabo Ibehre
Reggie Lambe
Samir Carruthers
George Taft
Paul Lewis
Dan Jones
Sam Bennett
Jordan Norville-Williams
Greg Taylor
Harrison Dunk
Liam O’Neil

Carlisle United
Released

Adam Collin
Kelvin Etuhu
Louis Gray
Jack Iredale
Mike Jones
Keighran Kerr
Nathaniel Knight-Percival
Harry McKirdy
Mo Sagaf
Stefan Scougall
Jack Bridge
Gethin Jones
Byron Webster

Cheltenham
Released

Luke Varney
Rhys Lovett
Archie Brennan
Rohan Ince
Jonte Smith
Josh Debayo
Chris Clements

Crawley
Released

Ibrahim Meite
Jimmy Smith
Josh Payne
Jamie Sendles-White
Panutche Camará
Ollie Palmer
Dannie Bulman

Crewe Alexandra
Released

Paul Green
Connor Heath
Nicky Hunt
Aaron Lomas
Shaun Miller
Lewis Reilly
Rio Adebisi
Regan Griffiths
Travis Johnson
James Jones
Chris Porter
Dave Richards
Tyreece Onyeka
Joe Robbins
Nathan Woodthorpe

FGR
Released

Matt Mills
Farrend Rawson
Dayle Grubb
Liam Shephard
Elliot Frear
George Williams
Junior Mondal
Kevin Dawson
Chris Stokes
Nathan McGinley
Joseph Mills

Grimsby Town
Released

Bradley Garmston
Harry Davis
Brandon Buckley
Elliott Whitehouse
Elliot Grandin
Jake Hessenthaler
Harry Cardwell
Ahkeem Rose
Jordan Cook

Leyton Orient
Released

Arthur Janata
Dale Gorman
James Alabi
Matt Harold
Marvin Ekpiteta
Jobi McAnuff
Ruel Sotiriou
Sadrach Ogie

Macclesfield Town
Released

Jacob Blyth
Nathan Cameron
Reice Charles-Cook
Adam Dawson
Arthur Gnahou
James Pearson
Michael Rose
Ben Stephens
Donovan Wilson
Peter Vincenti
David Fitzpatrick
Harry Hamblin
Joe Ironside
Jak McCourt
Ben Tollitt

Mansfield Town
Released

Neal Bishop
Craig Davies
Otis Khan
Conrad Logan
Alex MacDonald
Bobby Olejnik
Krystian Pearce
Matt Preston
Omari Sterling-James
Noah Stokes
Hayden White
Tom Fielding
Jordan Graham
Lewis Gibbens
Nicky Maynard
Joe Riley
Alistair Smith
Aiden Walker

Morecambe
Released

Barry Roche
Kevin Ellison
Adam Buxton
Andrew Tutte
Ritchie Sutton
Tom Brewitt
Michael Howard
Rhys Oates
Lamine Jagne
Kyle Hawley
Carlos Mendes Gomes
Alex Kenyon
Steven Old
Cole Stockton
Aaron Wildig
Jordan Slew

Newport
Released

Scot Bennett
Jay Foulston
Jamille Matt
Dominic Poleon
Momodou Touray

Plymouth Argyle
Released
Alex Fletcher
Joel Grant
Tafari Moore
Michael Peck
Tom Purrington
Ryan Taylor
Luke Jephcott
Ryan Law
Klaidi Lolos
Callum McFazdean
Adam Randell
Antoni Sarcevic
Gary Sawyer

Port Vale
Released
Will Atkinson
Callum Evans
Kieran Kennedy
Ryan Lloyd
Johnny Maddison
Jordan Macfarlane-Archer
David Amoo
Rhys Browne
Shaun Brisley
Cristian Montano
Tom Conlon
Mark Cullen
Nathan Smith

Salford City
Released
Josh Askew
Craig Conway
Darron Gibson
Kieran Glynn
Kyle Letheren
Chris Neal
Michael O’Connor
Nathan Pond
Devante Rodney
Mark Shelton
Scott Wiseman

Scunthorpe United
Released
Yasin Ben El-Mhanni
Cameron Burgess
Andy Butler
Jordan Clarke
Adam Hammill
James Horsfield
Rory McArdle
Kgosi Ntlhe
James Perch
Yann Songo’o
Levi Sutton

Stevenage
Released

Adam El Abd
Sacha Bastien
Joel Byrom
Canice Carroll
Jake Cassidy
Jason Cowley
Diaguely Dabo
Tyler Denton
Paul Digby
Harry Draper
Andronicos Georgiou
Simeon Jackson
Jamie Jellis
Ben Kennedy
Ben Nugent
Dean Parrett
Patrick Reading
Alex Reid
Joel Rollinson
Tom Soares
Emmanuel Sonupe
Paul Taylor
Paul Farman
Danny Newton

Swindon
Eoin Doyle
Luke McCormick
Anthony Grant
Jordan Lyden
Zekki Fryers
Mathieu Baudry
Lloyd Isgrove
Kaiyne Woolery
Keshi Anderson

Walsall
Released
Shay Facey
James Hardy
Gary Liddle
Mitch Candlin
Kory Roberts
Danny Guthrie
Callum Cockerill-Mollett
Tom Leak

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:37 pm

Some blast from the past there. I was surprised to see Joe Mason released by MK Dons. I thought he looked a threat at the Reebok when it was one of his first games back(?) and iirc he scored a few afterwards. He'd have to have a haircut first though.

Hope Akpan is an odd one. Championship player 2 years ago and sought after by a few then released by Brazilford after a single season? Jordy Hiwula at Coventry is one who caught my eye in the past.

Of the many ex Wanderers in there, I'd not be unhappy to see Spearing back to guide the yoof.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:43 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:37 pm
Some blast from the past there. I was surprised to see Joe Mason released by MK Dons. I thought he looked a threat at the Reebok when it was one of his first games back(?) and iirc he scored a few afterwards. He'd have to have a haircut first though.

Hope Akpan is an odd one. Championship player 2 years ago and sought after by a few then released by Brazilford after a single season? Jordy Hiwula at Coventry is one who caught my eye in the past.

Of the many ex Wanderers in there, I'd not be unhappy to see Spearing back to guide the yoof.
Interesting. Note that a lot of these might not be getting released because they're pants, but because their clubs are unsure - a few have just blanket released all contract-lapsing players, to cut down overheads. Or maybe they're asking for more than the clubs are happy to commit to under the circumstances. It's a huge negotiation all round.

And while the salary cap (if it comes in) will be per club rather than player, there'll be some basic maths involved there and it might shave some off the top of what even the best players can expect: only the most self-assured players would demand they get the sort of wage that might leave you a squad member short. There are a hell of a lot of variables this summer.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:30 pm

As well as considering the D1&2 released lists, we should be looking at the better National League players coming to the end of their contracts. Pretty much all of the NL sides are professional these days and the difference in quality between the top half of the NL and D2 (and, to a degree, D1) is minimal. I saw my local NL side play Bristol R in the Cup a few months ago and there was absolutely no difference between the two sides.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!