Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:44 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:30 pm
As well as considering the D1&2 released lists, we should be looking at the better National League players coming to the end of their contracts. Pretty much all of the NL sides are professional these days and the difference in quality between the top half of the NL and D2 (and, to a degree, D1) is minimal. I saw my local NL side play Bristol R in the Cup a few months ago and there was absolutely no difference between the two sides.
Fine by me, Tony – you list 'em :mrgreen:

(Seriously though, I agree, and if we get Evatt you'd hope he'd know the form too)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:22 am

Well, I have to say that now Evatt is in the door I'm pretty excited about new players coming in. I hope/expect that we will be concentrating on players with residual value, as I don't see the sense in short-termism given where we are right now (Doyle would be too old for me).

When do we expect the rumour mill to kick in? I need something new to distract me from doing my job for the coming months.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 am

We can still only sign free transfers and I don’t think we will do without knowing how long we are paying them for with limited income. See Athletic,Wigan. Having said that it feels like a good summer to be under an embargo, if that makes sense. I think everyone will be operating on frees and loans at our level.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:56 am

Harsh - I’d be very happy with Doyle. Yes, we need to build, but we can also cope with one or two who would give us a season or two of good returns. All signings are free transfers so it’s not like we’re spending £30m of unrecoupable transfer fee.

One other thing. If Evatt continues with 3-4-1-2 - and that’s the formation he’s had most success with - that leaves room for two strikers (and without getting overloaded in midfield). Been a while since we regularly had that, a while which has seen good goalscoring strikers like ALF underused.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:03 am

I'll be very surprised if centre half Matthew Platt at Blackburn is not one of Evatt's 1st signings, apparently out of contract this summer and was a regular for Barrow last season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:03 am
I'll be very surprised if centre half Matthew Platt at Blackburn is not one of Evatt's 1st signings, apparently out of contract this summer and was a regular for Barrow last season.
Good spot. Played 29 of 37 games. Also registered on some sites as being capable of playing in midfield. 21 years old. Captained Rovers’ U23 team.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:08 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:03 am
Good spot. Played 29 of 37 games. Also registered on some sites as being capable of playing in midfield. 21 years old. Captained Rovers’ U23 team.
If David Dunn gets the Barrow job as rumoured then might be too straightforward - given he was U23 coach at Blackburn so may well know Platt....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:49 pm

Yeah possibly, but while he might like Dunn he presumably also quite likes Evatt. And geography is on our side: Bolton is closer to Platt's hometown Knowsley, to his 'adopted' town Blackburn, to the city of Manchester and basically everything except Sellafield and the Lakes. I'm not a billy-big-club but I wouldn't think we'd lose too many 1v1s if players were making straight choices.

On a wider note, we're not allowed to approach anyone under contract to Barrow. That rules out most of Evatt's regulars last season. Reposting this from the Barrow local press last Saturday:
several of the key players who helped them out of the non-League wilderness had already agreed to new contracts long before the coronavirus pandemic struck. That includes joint-top scorer John Rooney, who will get his first crack at the EFL since leaving Bury in 2014, wing-back Josh Kay, striker Dior Angus, midfielder Lewis Hardcastle and goalkeeper Joel Dixon. Twenty-goal frontman Scott Quigley has entered the second year of his three-year deal, while the futures of Patrick Brough and Brad Barry had already been secured for the coming campaign when they signed on two-year contracts last summer.

The club’s retained list is expected to be announced by the end of the week, which will reveal whether the likes of Jason Taylor, Sam Hird and club captain Josh Granite will be remaining in south Cumbria. What remains to be seen is whether Barrow will move to make the loan spells of Matt Platt, Tom White, Olly Dyson or Dan Jones permanent. The arrival of Platt from Blackburn in September turned their defence into a much more cohesive unit, while White coming in two months later made their midfield the most competitive area in the squad.
So, here's those details overlaid on Barrow's appearances last season. Grey is contracted, green is loanees and orange is lapsing contracts:
barrowsmaller.jpg
barrowsmaller.jpg (120.87 KiB) Viewed 3444 times
It's possible Evatt could consider Hird and Taylor as thirtysomethings to add a bit of experience - while he seems to prefer youth, he said yesterday that "you do need a bit of a strong spine, a strong integral spine, but then, as I said, we'll get some quick, energetic players around that." Introducing one or two players who know and like you is also a classic managerial gambit which gives you some 'ears' in the dressing room - see Allardyce and Nolan, Clough and McGovern, Fergie and Strachan and, er, Neal and Darby.

That said, it's equally possible that he'll think those lads have peaked in Division Five. And if Barrow offer them extensions - which they may well, given their own need for solidity and continuity - then you imagine they might be off the table (Evatt might be legally clear to approach them but morally less so).

Which leaves Matt Platt, and to a lesser extent Tom White and Olly Dyson, as the closest to a continuity candidate from the Barrow buffet. White is a "combative and ball-playing midfielder" also loaned from Blackburn, who'd signed him from Troubled Gateshead. He joined in November and had his loan extended in January to the end of the season. After his March goal against Dag&Red, Evatt said “We’ve been trying to get Whitey a bit higher up the pitch at times and he took his goal ever so well." Dyson is a 20-year-old striker borrowed from Huddersfield's academy, who made 13 starts and 15 sub appearances last season.

Platt seems the most likely to me.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:15 pm

Given a how important the "system" seems to be, that it took a full season at Barrow to get them up to speed, that managers like it anyway and especially the "patterns of play" types (see Sarri and Jorginho, Rogers and Joe Allen) I wouldn't be surprised to see us after the ones we can go after.

Guess who'll be the guinea pig for the coaching demonstrations :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:59 pm

Balls to the moratorium, we want Granite and Hardcastle. None of your Edson Arantes do Nascimento nonsense :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:55 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:59 pm
Balls to the moratorium, we want Granite and Hardcastle. None of your Edson Arantes do Nascimento nonsense :)
There's some bloke playing called Max Power. He'll do.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:56 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:55 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:59 pm
There's some bloke playing called Max Power. He'll do.
He'd definitely Energize(r) things

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:12 am

From today's BN. Promising.

NEW boss Ian Evatt will get the necessary resources to make his attacking brand of football work at Bolton Wanderers.

Head of football operations, Tobias Phoenix, officially welcomed his number one target to the University of Bolton Stadium yesterday, pledging to give the new head coach every bit of help he could to launch a tilt for League Two promotion next season.

Evatt wants to cherry-pick the best options available to suit the expansive, possession-based style he plans to bring to the UniBol.

And though Phoenix admits there are still ‘unknowns’ with regard to the pandemic and when football will officially return – making budgeting more difficult – he is confident Bolton will be able to attract a top brand of player this summer.

“Pre-pandemic and outside of a wage cap the board were going to give us the tools to bring the players to the club that we want,” he said. “We’re not looking to be a cash cow for players or agents – that isn’t the way we see it. We’re not going to buy our way out of the division.

“But we are going to recruit strategically, we’re working on blueprint for player types – how they are like on and off the pitch – because how they are around a football club is really important.

“We’ll work within our means and deliver the best players we possibly can for Bolton Wanderers Football Club.”

Should salary caps be voted in, Wanderers could be restricted to spending just £1.5million on salaries next season.

And while that decision will have a profound effect on football’s economy, Phoenix believes his own club could be better placed than most to take advantage of nearly 1,500 free agents who are now on the market.

“Salary caps don’t make any difference to my day – it’ll be outside my control, it’ll be outside of Ian’s control,” he said. “The difference for us is that we have a blank canvass. I have £1.5million to spend.

“If you already have ‘x amount’ in your building then you are working on the difference being headroom.

"We have physically got all the money to spend, so we can look at the positives. We’ve pressed the reset button and whatever tools we’re given by the board or the EFL we’ll maximise the value for money bringing players in.”

Phoenix also argues that Wanderers will be a big pull for talent this summer – both in terms of their facilities and the style of football that Evatt is going to employ, which is why the boat was pushed out to bring the 38-year-old in from Barrow at a six-figure cost.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:25 am

I’m not sure giving away his budget is the most sensible thing to do??? Couple of pieces with TP in the BN today. I hadn’t seen much from him before. Interesting reading.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:43 am

I'm excited and all, I really am. But I'm not looking forward to keep hearing people taking about "brands" of football for the next few years. :vomit: :vomit:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:54 am

Maybe it's the pessimist in me but my big worry reading that is the potential for a fall out between Evatt and Phoenix. The former has a track record to speak of. The latter, not so much. I'd hope it's Evatt that has the final say and the greater power in the relationship.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:58 am

Yeah - both pretty new to the world of football. It’s Phoenix I want to understand more about - but just becAuse he isn’t a ‘proper football man’ doesn’t mean he can’t be a success. Doing things our own way has worked for us before.
Last edited by officer_dibble on Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:58 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:54 am
Maybe it's the pessimist in me but my big worry reading that is the potential for a fall out between Evatt and Phoenix. The former has a track record to speak of. The latter, not so much. I'd hope it's Evatt that has the final say and the greater power in the relationship.
Surely people falling out is a risk in literally every business in the world?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:14 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:54 am
Not really sure why this would be a greater risk than a fall out between a chairman and manager (in old school money)? What you've got here effectively is a man between the manager/head coach and the board. Someone who will negotiate deals etc...

I'm not convinced its any more of a risk. We know nowt about Phoenix and that's where nervousness comes from. However, not sure I buy into track records - for a DoF job you want a track record in managing programmes and deals - anyone's record is unlikely to be public knowledge.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:17 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:25 am
I’m not sure giving away his budget is the most sensible thing to do???
£1.5m is the mooted D4 salary cap, which Iles mentions in the previous sentence and presumably did so in his question to Phoenix. He's not giving anything away except that we'll be offering wages as good as anyone in the division, which surely every agent/player would know.