Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:31 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:24 pm
Iles reports that Crawford turned down offers from clubs in League One to re-sign with us.
Interesting. But/and it perhaps also depends where those clubs are, because geography means a lot at this level, where players aren't paid enough to make just any old move worthwhile. Crawford's 28; I don't know his personal circumstances, but it's entirely possible he's got kids at school, etc. Sometimes the upheaval of either moving to, I dunno, Milton Keynes or Bristol (or commuting for long hours between) isn't worth it for an extra £100 a week or a slightly better standard of football.

Or maybe Evatt's given him a gentleman's agreement: if we don't go up, I'll let you go next summer, but let's get a fee.

Anyway - whatever the reason, great news. Welcome back aboard, wee man, and let's see you bamboozle the buggers all season.

COYWM!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:48 pm

Crawford says he spoke to Evatt on Monday...that would be three days before he was announced...shows how long these deals are effectively done before they get announced.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:17 pm

So, that's £62,400 of the £1.5m accounted for.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:48 pm
Crawford says he spoke to Evatt on Monday...that would be three days before he was announced...shows how long these deals are effectively done before they get announced.
Think Evatt said in one of the interviews that he told Barrow on Friday he was leaving; since then it's been negotiations and contracts. I like that the guy wasted no time whatsoever. In fact, I know this is the honeymoon period but I'm very impressed all round so far.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:34 pm

Great signing. Statement of intent. I think there is even something in it that he is the first one we have re-signed - the best footballer in our side last year by a mile.

I’d be up for keeping Lowe and Remi next I think. Can’t see Bryan dropping down a level, albeit I agree with DSB that players are more likely to stay local in 1 and 2. He just seems a bit young to not want to push on. Josh Emanuel?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:38 pm

Grand news. Crawford was probably the number one re-sign for me. Very picky but would prefer him to call us, us, rather than them...

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:58 pm

Excellent signing. instantly Made my weekend a happy one when I saw the news...also the #1 on my list to be retained from last sesaon's team (And my list is very short). The Management team is very serious and this is a big statement of intent.

Need now to sign someone to bang in the goals created by Crawford and Darcy et al ...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:36 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:58 pm
Need now to sign someone to bang in the goals created by Crawford and Darcy et al ...

Mo Faal?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:38 pm

Emmanuel and Dodoo I reckon are both good shouts. V unsure about Matthews for the style.. It's going to be a high line and need good, quick decision making on when to come out and he was fecking disastrous at that every single time I saw him last season.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:48 pm
Think Evatt said in one of the interviews that he told Barrow on Friday he was leaving; since then it's been negotiations and contracts. I like that the guy wasted no time whatsoever. In fact, I know this is the honeymoon period but I'm very impressed all round so far.
Yep. Driven is the word that springs to mind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:36 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:38 pm
Emmanuel and Dodoo I reckon are both good shouts. V unsure about Matthews for the style.. It's going to be a high line and need good, quick decision making on when to come out and he was fecking disastrous at that every single time I saw him last season.
Could be coached into him, and add that to the rest of his game he'd be a very impressive keeper.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:02 am

Emmanuel is more of a wingback than a fullback, so he might suit Evatt’s system (similar also to Bunney on the left?). Whether Evatt/Phoenix think we can do better is another question. Buyer’s market.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:27 am

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:02 am
Emmanuel is more of a wingback than a fullback, so he might suit Evatt’s system (similar also to Bunney on the left?). Whether Evatt/Phoenix think we can do better is another question. Buyer’s market.
I agree but I think there's so much turnover I think there's a huge bias for getting in two or three minimum who knew the club. I mean, know the codes to the changing rooms, know the kitchen staff, the best place to live all that. Ideally I'd want two senior players from last year and two who've worked with Evatt. Think Emmanuel and Bunney will at least be considered.

I also heard him talk about Scott Quigley at Barrow and the description seemed very Dodoo like to me. I'm calling that now. Keep him and first 20 goal striker since Ricketts.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:23 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:27 am
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:02 am
I agree but I think there's so much turnover I think there's a huge bias for getting in two or three minimum who knew the club. I mean, know the codes to the changing rooms, know the kitchen staff, the best place to live all that. Ideally I'd want two senior players from last year and two who've worked with Evatt. Think Emmanuel and Bunney will at least be considered.

I also heard him talk about Scott Quigley at Barrow and the description seemed very Dodoo like to me. I'm calling that now. Keep him and first 20 goal striker since Ricketts.
You're saying Dodoo would score more than 20 goals? Can't say I saw much last season that would suggest he's capable of that.

In amongst Nixon's deluge of tweets yesterday regarding some nonsense Wigan betting story, I did see he again mentioned we're in for Doyle. Personally I'd be a little more reserved on him than most, given he's 32 and has only had two 20+ goal seasons in his career.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:41 am

I’d say Emmanuel is a player with huge potential. I’d be disappointed if we didn’t try and get him back. He needs the right manager to really get him focussed.

Matthews - not sure on really. I think he’s a decent keeper but as noted the flaws in his game would likely be highlighted in a high pressing possession based system. Not least quick distribution which is definitely a weakness, but would we get a better keeper at L2 level? Probably not.

Can’t say I’ve seen enough of Bunney to judge. Fancy he’s more a KH type.

Dodoo might suit an Evatt system. I like him but I feel he needs to become a regular scoring striker because he’s not going to feature as a right sided forward very likely from what I’ve seen of how Evatt plays. Question is can he regularly contribute with goals? I’m not sure either way.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:41 am
I’d say Emmanuel is a player with huge potential. I’d be disappointed if we didn’t try and get him back. He needs the right manager to really get him focussed.

Matthews - not sure on really. I think he’s a decent keeper but as noted the flaws in his game would likely be highlighted in a high pressing possession based system. Not least quick distribution which is definitely a weakness, but would we get a better keeper at L2 level? Probably not.

Can’t say I’ve seen enough of Bunney to judge. Fancy he’s more a KH type.

Dodoo might suit an Evatt system. I like him but I feel he needs to become a regular scoring striker because he’s not going to feature as a right sided forward very likely from what I’ve seen of how Evatt plays. Question is can he regularly contribute with goals? I’m not sure either way.
100% agree on Emmanuel - he looks like someone who could really flourish under the right manager and certainly has the talent to play at a much higher level.

Matthews I would also be in favour of keeping if we're able to. Whilst he's clearly never going to be an Ederson, he's still young for a keeper and has time to work on the weaknesses in his game. As a shot-stopper he's incredible - I'd say borderline Premier League level, and I would be really surprised if we were able to pick up a superior player from the free agent pool.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:08 am

I certainly wouldn't be upset if he stayed, and with a lot traditional approach I think he'd be close to the top of the list to try to keep, I just think his weaknesses (decision making with balls over the top and distribution) are likely to be highlighted with this style.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:56 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:08 am
I certainly wouldn't be upset if he stayed, and with a lot traditional approach I think he'd be close to the top of the list to try to keep, I just think his weaknesses (decision making with balls over the top and distribution) are likely to be highlighted with this style.
Yeah true, but what are the chances of bringing in someone who's good with their feet and a good shot stopper with the money we'll be able to offer? Perhaps I'm underestimating the lure of Evatt, but it seems a lot to ask of a League 2 keeper.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:13 pm

It's an interesting one for sure. Though you'd think that would apply even more so a league below with a bottom 6 budget. Interesting that Joel Dixon Barrow's keeper predated Evatt there. He might happen to be good with his feet anyway but he didn't do a Guardiola getting rid of Joe Hart immediately. Maybe he'll think he can teach Remi. I'm more bothered about his decision making. Every time I saw us live last year he came out rashly causing chaos. The kids were getting an admirable 0-0 at Wycombe on day 1 until he came flying out pointlessly.

We're obviously not going to get an Ederson but I don't think getting someone relatively confortable should be that much of a challenge actually, simply because most other teams just aren't going to value it.

And one of the points of the possession based and high pressing game is also that you try to limit the number of shots you face.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:39 pm

I think there have to be tempered expectations. The very best teams look good playing this style, but you don't have to drop far below very best for it to become shit scary. England have generally looked pretty good under Southgate, but to see McGuire knocking it to Stones is fcuking genuinely frightening. And by our standards those are two pretty skillful footballers..I'm all for more pressing and a higher line but I have more limited expectations of Boltolona.