Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 pm

Clipreel. Seems happy with the ball at his feet (for a big man :mrgreen: )

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:46 am

Taft's intro interview in video format:
. .
...and written: https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/july/- ... wanderers/
I’m so pleased to be here. I’m absolutely buzzing to have got the move over the line and to now be a Bolton Wanderers player. Seeing the type of players that have joined the club already this summer, it just shows what Ian (Evatt) is all about and what he wants from the season. It is exciting.

I’m a big lad so I’m good in the air, but I also like to play and bring the ball out from the back and start things off. How Ian wants us to play means it is crucial that I can do that. When he took over, I got a phone call and came up to look around the place a few days ago. It’s Bolton, it’s a massive club. Other clubs were interested in me, but as soon as I heard about Bolton’s interest it was a no-brainer. We had a real good chat and he went through everything; what he did last year and how he wants us to play this year. The football he wants to play is attractive, it will get the fans going and it’s what everybody wants to be a part of.

We know the goal this season, and that’s to get promoted. The squad that’s being put together, we should be well capable of that and we want to go out and show that on a Saturday. Working with the Gaffer, he’s an ex-centre half as well so I think I’ll learn a lot. I’ve probably got a few years until I hit my prime so I really want to hit the ground running and improve as a player.

I’ve been in and around League Two for a few years now and it’s a hard league. It’s going to be difficult but we need to remain confident throughout the season and try to get the results that will get us to where we want to be. We’re going to have pretty much a whole new team come the start of the season, so it’s important that we gel well together and know how each other plays.

I’ve been promoted out of this league before so I’ve been there and done it. We’ve got to work hard throughout the season but I think we can do that and be successful. I think I had a really good season last season at Cambridge. I played in a back three the same way that the manager wants to play here. He’s seen what I’m about and I think I can replicate that and push on.

I can’t wait to get going now. To put my boots on and get myself back out there on the grass. I know we start in small groups but it’s just going to be amazing to be playing football again.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:28 am

Today’s linked names (said to be training with us) are Alex Baptiste and Jak Hickman, a younger fella who played for Coventry before deciding to broadcast a drunken rant about the club via the medium of the interwebs. Like you don’t. Usual caveats, then - if he’s learnt his lesson, their loss our gain etc

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Jesus I remember that video. Wanted to chew my own fist off. As you say let's hope he's grown up a bit.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm
Jesus I remember that video. Wanted to chew my own fist off. As you say let's hope he's grown up a bit.
Having missed it at the time, I figured that looked like a decent recco! Fck me! :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm
It's a shocker isn't it? Huge confidence for a bloke who's played no more professional first team football than any of us on here!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:35 pm

Man, having just watched that video I think he'd need to be Messi on the pitch to win me over.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:40 pm

He was a young lad with probably too much money acting the idiot. I'd be wary and cautious but everyone deserves a second chance and good managers (and lets hope IE is) can reform players and help them fulfil their potential. Big Sam did this, even Parky turned Madine's career around. If he's having a trial then it lets the coaching staff look at his attitude up close and see how it might work.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:49 pm

Latest name is Brandon Comley. Midfielder, 24, contract at Colchester elapsed. Someone said he had the highest pass completion in Div 4 last season. Apparently training with us today; Wiki already says we’ve signed him on a two year deal, but that’s no guarantee.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:46 pm

Club twitter set to announce a signing.

I did an hour's research on the linked names but the site timed out and lost it. Oh well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:59 pm

SIGNING KLAXON

Brandon Comley joins the club.
Two-year deal.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/july/e ... er-comley/
Brandon Comley has put pen to paper on a two-year deal to sign for Bolton Wanderers ahead of the Sky Bet League Two campaign.

The energetic midfielder met his new team-mates on Monday when the Wanderers squad reported for training for the first time since Head Coach Ian Evatt took the helm at the beginning of July.

Born in London, Comley joined the Queens Park Rangers Academy at the age of nine and progressed through the age groups, eventually making his first team debut in 2015.

He enjoyed loan spells with Carlisle United, Grimsby Town and Colchester United to gain valuable first experience.

After a successful spell at the Colchester Community Stadium, he signed a permanent deal with The U’s in 2018 and made a total of 54 appearances, scoring two goals in his two seasons in Essex.

Comley has also played international football for the Caribbean island of Montserrat with whom he has won nine caps since making his debut in 2018.

Speaking to bwfc.co.uk following his arrival at the University of Bolton Stadium, the 24 year-old said: “I’m really pleased to have finally got the deal done because there are exciting times ahead.

“It was great to meet all the lads and get underway with that the gaffer wants us all to do.”

Ian Evatt added: “Brandon is a technically gifted midfield player who can build attacks with his range of passing as well as be dynamic out of possession. He is a player who I have admired for a long time and we are excited to have him on board.”
My notes: Islington-born (18 Nov 95), QPR graduate, made Premier League debut (replacing Karl Henry at 19 but only made one more league appearance. Loaned out to comically disparate fourth-tier clubs (Carlisle, Grimsby, Colchester) before signing for Colchester permanently in Jan 2018. One of the first four players to have their post-COVID release announced - Colchester said back in April they wouldn't renew his and other contracts - by which time he'd made a decent reputation. per WhoScored, he was the division's third-most accurate passer last season (85.8% completion from an average 33 passes per game).

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:32 pm

He seems to be a footballing defensive midfielder, ideally suited for one of the two No.8's in Evatt's 3-4-1-2 I'd imagine.

Given his age and his previous club's apparent underappreciation of him, I think he might be the first of what we could call the "Moneyball" signings.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Obligatory YouTube clip (I can't seem to embed it):

https://youtu.be/TFcW5npmdyo

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:59 pm
he was the division's third-most accurate passer last season (85.8% completion from an average 33 passes per game).
Having spent the past however many seasons watching some of the worst midfield passing I've seen at any level, I look forward to seeing this guy play with bated breath.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Another good one where you can see the plan. Sounds promising. Signings, before pre season! This is great.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:32 pm

There's a challenge for you, DSB - have we ever had a Montserratian international play for us before??

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:56 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:59 pm
he was the division's third-most accurate passer last season (85.8% completion from an average 33 passes per game).
Having spent the past however many seasons watching some of the worst midfield passing I've seen at any level, I look forward to seeing this guy play with bated breath.
Managers description of him doesn't resemble anyone I've seen in our team for a good while :-)

"Brandon is a technically gifted midfield player who can build attacks with his range of passing as well as be dynamic out of possession. He is a player who I have admired for a long time and we are excited to have him on board"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:34 pm

It would be great having a ball winning midfielder who will look for and can pass the ball forward instead of always sideways and back to maintain possession. I hope Comley is one of those. Welcome to our club Brandon.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:45 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:36 pm
Obligatory YouTube clip (I can't seem to embed it):

https://youtu.be/TFcW5npmdyo
Get the full URL (that's a shortened one), delete the "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" and anything after the "&" (if there is one), then click the T-W "youtube" button and put it between the brackets.

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:33 pm
Managers description of him doesn't resemble anyone I've seen in our team for a good while :-)

"Brandon is a technically gifted midfield player who can build attacks with his range of passing as well as be dynamic out of possession. He is a player who I have admired for a long time and we are excited to have him on board"
"Player X [let's call him Liam] is a technically inept midfield player who can build attacks for the opposition with his range of poor passing as well as being lethargic out of possession. He is a player who I hadn't even heard of till yesterday but we are desperate enough to have him on board." :mrgreen:

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:17 pm

With the amount of quality signings I feel the club are going for a double promotion. FV seem to be quite keen on arming the new manager with the weapons needed for both bottom two leagues. This season will be quite fun.