Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:37 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:11 pm
Charlie Adam - Nixon link.

Think that was called on here early doors!
I believe I hypothesised about him dropping into the back three as the Mackay to Evatt’s Clough. I wouldn’t say a centre-back is top of the list but that was only an idea and Evatt may think we need a pass master in midfield.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:53 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:11 pm
Charlie Adam - Nixon link.

Think that was called on here early doors!

Hmm not sure what to make of that. I’d prefer somebody younger who could cope with the amount of running expected of them - there’s still plenty of good young players out there who haven’t been signed yet. Whilst he has undoubted technical quality, range of passing etc, he’s not exactly mobile these days. Obviously the assumption would be he plays in a rotational/backup role, but does he really fit the high intensity pressing game Evatt wants to play?

He didn’t play much last season for Reading, only 778 minutes in the league, but when he did feature he seemed to play well if his WhoScored rating is to be believed, chipping in with an assist and two goals (one of those a penalty)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/8327/ ... arlie-Adam

1A20AC66-B36A-4D44-973F-62CCB9E18E41.jpeg
1A20AC66-B36A-4D44-973F-62CCB9E18E41.jpeg (193.02 KiB) Viewed 2355 times

Admittedly his highlight reel from last season is quite fun to watch, very Pirlo-esque

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:56 am

IMO Charlie Adam would be a fantastic signing in League 2. He's made plenty of money throughout his career so we have to assume that he'd come on League 2 wages to help out his old mate Evatt and prolong his career.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:38 am

Yep - he should be a cut above at League 2 level. Thumbs up from me if true.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:33 am

Evatt says Charlie Adam is just training with us.

“at the moment he is just training – it’s as simple as that. It’s amazing what I read sometimes, ‘Bolton throwing the salary cap out the window’. The truth is I have got a great relationship with Charlie and I am helping him get up to speed.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... wanderers/

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:06 pm

And at the same time hoping he likes enough of what he sees at Bolton to buy in to the dream ;)
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:37 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:06 pm
And at the same time hoping he likes enough of what he sees at Bolton to buy in to the dream ;)
Yeah I’ve no doubt he would be welcomed if he was happy with a realistic wage. And signing players before the cap came in has given us some lassitude there (I’m assuming FV aren’t writing cheques they couldn’t cash).
But it would be risky for us to spend too much of our budget on someone who might not play that many games. At a rough stab - and acknowledging that his last two paymasters, Stoke and Reading, appear to spend money like water - he’d have been on a ten-grand weekly wage. Would he accept a fifth of that? Or even slightly less if we want to keep our fiscal options open for further signings - like another left-sider and a striker or two? Seems to me he’s far more likely to end up a division higher, but also a pay-grade higher.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:22 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:06 pm
Exactly. A little like when Ginger was helping Eidur out.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:46 pm

Just having a little look back through this thread - by gum there's been some names mentioned. (My interest was piqued when I noticed Bolton-born goalkeeper Joel Coleman, released byHuddersfield, has joined Fleetwood.)

Anyway, most of the roles are covered, except strikers (difficult to predict as they may be released kids) and of course left wing-back. Callum McFadzean has still not signed for anyone, nor (as far as I can see) even been linked with anyone. Curious.

Less heralded but also possibly suitable was a 23-year-old Blackburn released called Sam Hart (10 Sep 96). Horwich-born, he was on United's books to age 16, then Liverpool's to 21; able to play left-back or left-wing, he was loaned to Port Vale and scored a consolation goal for them in their 3-1 defeat at ours. (Oct 2016, early Parky, we were 3-0 up by quarter past three through Zach, Vela and Wilson.)

The following summer, he was bought by third-tier Blackburn and after a dozen or so games was loaned in January 2018 to Rochdale, where Keith Hill needed cover for the recently-sold Joe Bunney. Hill borrowed him again for 2018/19 but in January Blackburn recalled him then loaned hm to (third-tier) Southend. He did enough to earn a year's extension at Blackburn but a hamstring injury kept him out for the first six months of last season, a loan at Shrewsbury (again third-tier) didn't work out and he was released. In all he's made 50 league appearances, all in the third tier, and seems to be the sort of hybrid Evatt might like – if we don't get a bigger fish like McFadz or even Carey...

Some more names I found, all potential left wingbacks, all released by League One clubs. No evidence of them being "linked" to us, but they're all free agents as far as I can tell.

JAMIE MASCOLL, 23 (15 Mar 97)
Catford-born 6ft2in left-back or left-winger. Played a fair bit for Londonish non-league clubs then signed for Charlton at 20; didn't break through and two years later joined Wycombe after impressing on trial, with Gareth Ainsworth saying “Jamie is very quick, very athletic and has shown he’s got an excellent delivery on him, so we believe he’s got the attributes that give us another option in the left-back role.”

ZAINE FRANCIS-ANGOL, 27 (30 Jun 93)
Another left-back/left-winger, but this time a much diddier 5ft 8in. London-born but plays for Antigua & Barbuda (another international would allow us to postpone games...) and has bobbed around the leagues - Spurs kids, Motherwell, Kidderminster, Fylde and then last season Accrington.

SEAN GRAHAM, 19 (20 Nov 2000)
Left-sided Norn Ireland U21er who played wingback for Blackpool's youths but was loaned back to Larne and then released.

JUNIOR BROWN, 31 (7 May 89)
Crewe-born, primarily left-back but also wing-back. 300-odd games for Fleetwood, Tranmere, Oxford, Mansfield, Shrewsbury, Cov & Scunny. Released by Cov this summer.

And a bonus striker who popped up while searching...
JORDY HIWULA, 25 (21 Sep 94)
Manc striker Hiwula was Cov's top scorer two seasons ago, then released. Vague word of Bristol Rovers, Lincoln and Shrewsbury being interested, but nothing's happened. 45 goals in 184 third-tier games. Played for City kids, England U18 and U19, and his school nickname was Deckchair.

Plus a couple more potential LWBs released by Division Four clubs...

BRAD (or BRADLEY) GARMSTON, 26 (18 Jan 94)
Bit of a flyer, this, in more ways than one: a pacy left-back (can also play midfield) whose mum Sonia Lannaman was a three-time Commonwealth gold medallist and dad was head physio for Team GB at the 92, 96 & 2000 Olympics. The lad himself, one of the fastest in the country at age 14, played for Ireland U21 after coming up through West Brom's ranks - he'd have overlapped with Reiss Greenidge, two years his junior. 97 third-tier games, plus five in Division Four on loan at Grimsby last season. He was born in Chorley, but not that one - the one in Staffordshire.

KGOSI NTLHE, 26 (21 Apr 94)
South African (apparently it's pronounced "Kosi N'Claire") who moved here at 11, came up through Peterborough's ranks and has since made 150 League appearances - 101 tier three, 40 tier four, 14 tier two - for Posh, Stevenage, Rochdale and Scunny. He whose girlfriend attracted Danny Drinkwater, who may consequently have learned to heed his own surname.

Then of course there's loanees, non-leaguers...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:00 am

Ooh, let’s play Guess The Mercenary!

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -jealousy/

Evatt:
To give one example, we spoke to a player who was released by a League One club this summer and he wanted a pay rise. If you are being released by a club you need to think carefully about why that happened.

I’ve said many times that we’re not a cash cow. We have a budget, we will stick to it, and if players don’t fall into what we consider value for money then we will move on.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:27 am

The first name that springs to mind is Spearing.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:46 pm

My guess would be Jordan Turbnull, evidenced by the fact he was heavily linked with us and then proceeded to sign for $alford.

Some good names there DSB, Jamie Mascoll is somebody I missed when trawling through released players from Division 3 and 4. It's always necessary to take Youtube highlights with a large pinch of salt, but it's not hard to recognise that he's got an abundance of pace, always useful when trying to cover any defensive deficiencies. Look at Antonee Robinson for example, not the most naturally gifted defender but has great athleticism to take on players and also get back sharpish - now a PL player.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:36 pm

On the guessing game, it depends on semantics. Were Northampton really "a League One team", and was he "released" or did he refuse to sign? It feels more like Spearing to me, although I don't know if Blackpool offered him a contract.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:59 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:27 am
The first name that springs to mind is Spearing.
Can’t see him getting a pay rise at Tranmere.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:24 pm

Two jobs now though hasn't he?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:59 am

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:46 pm
Some good names there DSB, Jamie Mascoll is somebody I missed when trawling through released players from Division 3 and 4. It's always necessary to take Youtube highlights with a large pinch of salt, but it's not hard to recognise that he's got an abundance of pace, always useful when trying to cover any defensive deficiencies. Look at Antonee Robinson for example, not the most naturally gifted defender but has great athleticism to take on players and also get back sharpish - now a PL player.

If Mascoll was released by Wycombe then I could still imagine him being a very good player at our level. He's a left back, so he was kept out of their side by Joe Jacobson - one of their most important players. He is their key set piece taker from what I've seen, so displacing him would be difficult for any player. I know nothing about Mascoll, but we obviously need competition at left wing back so I would love to see a signing there.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Weird one but late last night Lion of Vienna Suite tweeted a screenshot of an Instagram message exchange between a fan and Ian Evatt. Said tweet has now been deleted.

76037C80-3AEC-4648-8DEA-A9C73264F9F7.jpeg
76037C80-3AEC-4648-8DEA-A9C73264F9F7.jpeg (24.81 KiB) Viewed 1588 times

So Amoateng’s either been signed and not announced yet, or he’s been on trial so long that Evatt’s forgotten that he’s on trial. Either way I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t confirmed as a Bolton player in the next week or so.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:22 pm

There was a weird Twitter video the other day, like found footage of a grainy shot of someone doing one of those announcement videos in front of the tunnel. Some folk reckoned it was Amoateng.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:50 pm

I for one find it very disappointing that we haven't signed anyone in ages. Sort it out FV/Evatt :D

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:22 pm
There was a weird Twitter video the other day, like found footage of a grainy shot of someone doing one of those announcement videos in front of the tunnel. Some folk reckoned it was Amoateng.

I don't think that was Amoateng. The "player" on the video was far too tall for it to be him.