Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by The_Gun » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:04 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:06 pm
Forgot about keeper. That was my number 1 this time last week! Certainly a big risk at the moment.
Crellin has save us a goal on a few occasions so far - dunno what the back-up's like, but I don't have GK on my "urgent" list from what I've seen so far.
Matty Alexander looks to be a good keeper in the making but he only turns 19 in May. I'd probably be just about comfortable having him as the back-up and use the squad space on an outfield player. I would also guess that if Crellin were to get injured then we'd be lobbying the EFL to bring in an 'emergency' loan.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:39 pm

And Barton has sent him out on loan for the last couple of seasons and recalled him before the transfer window closed I think - sure someone said that anyway.

No, happy with him (and I was concerned he had limited experience) but more I am worried what the back up is.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:59 pm

I think we have to listen to what Evatt has said as well.

He's said Crellin is #1 and Alexander is good enough back up. He's said he's got enough depth in his defence and he's happy.

Whilst I see 6 players for 3 positions when I look at our midfield options, Evatt hasn't said he's happy with what he has there (that I'm aware of) and I can see issues - so I'm inclined to think that's where we might try for one more.

How I feel about this squad depends entirely on whether I'm being positive or critical. Critical me sees a lack of steel, leadership and individual creativity. Positive me sees technical ability, physicality and goals..with the creativity coming from our style of play instead of one man being the hub. I don't think I'm going to moan regardless of who comes in, except to say that I don't see a point in another body now except up front. If we are going to pay another player he needs to be the kind of lad who will give us a lift when he walks through the door.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:31 pm

It depends on the question. Is it what I think he needs? Or what I think, he thinks he needs? :-)

I think he should hold his shit a bit, with the focus being to see if he can sort the defence out.

I think he thinks he needs more attacking options.

I would temper this view a little coz he sees them every day and we've seen 180 minutes. But imo, that defence needs a lot of training ground work rather than a "bit of tinkering"...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:31 pm
I would temper this view a little coz he sees them every day and we've seen 180 minutes. But imo, that defence needs a lot of training ground work rather than a "bit of tinkering"...
Yeah, I've seen a lot of what he has said as a bit iffy and I'm not sure if he is kidding on or not.

Ian said we are "very, very close" to being where we need to be, but that we should be winning games now. He said we should have won both our games so far, except for individual errors.

I don't agree with him on either game and I think we are not far off being able to win games, but that we are miles off where he says he wants us and we need a lot of work.

As you say, he sees them all every day in training; but when he says we had enough chances to beat Crewe three times over and we just lacked concentration it worries me. We did miss good chances, but they missed far more and ripped us to bits at times. Hopefully he is just trying to give them confidence.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 pm

No chance we're in for a keeper.

I'm excited about Greenidge. Went away to learn and play football. Not like he's been not making it here.

Also don't see it being a wing back, or left footed centre back. One must be a forward. So you'd think it's another midfielder and Darcy off on loan, or a right sides cb and Brockers. My suspicion is the latter.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 pm
No chance we're in for a keeper.

I'm excited about Greenidge. Went away to learn and play football. Not like he's been not making it here.

Also don't see it being a wing back, or left footed centre back. One must be a forward. So you'd think it's another midfielder and Darcy off on loan, or a right sides cb and Brockers. My suspicion is the latter.
This is where I am also. Baptise first a few weeks ago when he signed and now our Head Coach talking up Greenidge. Must be special one.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:55 pm

Sorry, seeing Greenidge as a beanpole sprinter who can't play football but has been given chances based on his physical attributes.
I'm not excited at all, just crossing fingers that he proves me wrong.
The more I'm seeing and hearing, the more I'm.coming out in cold sweats and remembering Coyle.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:06 pm

The Coyle vibes are strong, I agree. As with Coyle, I'll be giving Evatt loads of time and I feel like he has more edge to him than Owen does. One thing that will help is that he doesn't think he's funny, which Owen definitely did and which alienated a couple of his key players.

IE will also benefit from not having to deal with Premier League egos. Add in that Evatt seems much more open to modern methods and I'm hopeful that he only shares bullshit cliches with Owen, rather than actually being a clone. It's Bolton, though, so worrying is natural.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:17 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 pm
So you'd think it's another midfielder and Darcy off on loan, or a right sides cb and Brockers. My suspicion is the latter.
From the recent video it looks like Zouma was focused on on purpose, so I'd not be at all shocked if we saw him come in now to be honest.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:39 am

The training regime sounds a lot different to Owen Coyle, club destroyer. I wouldn’t worry about that.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:46 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:39 am
The training regime sounds a lot different to Owen Coyle, club destroyer. I wouldn’t worry about that.
That's certainly true.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 am

Couple of things from Ilesy this morning.

First, an interesting Evatt quote on not overworking players:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -kick-off/
Rico (Ricardo Santos), even though he’s a lot younger than Alex, he has had a bit of a history with tendonitis so we have to make sure we don’t lose him for any length of time by breaking him down too early.
- which for me strongly implies we can expect a bit of rotation at right centre-back, be that with Brockbank, Zouma or other...

And in his Inside Wanderers piece:
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... wanderers/
I know for certain that Evatt is working on another very good attacking addition.
- so that confirms the Messi rumour...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:39 am
Yeah, I think it is just certain phrases they have in common.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:43 pm

Have we been linked to Graham Carey? Looks like something might be coming together there.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:49 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:43 pm
Have we been linked to Graham Carey? Looks like something might be coming together there.
A while back. Is he back on the radar?
https://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/viewtopi ... 3#p1092183

Was on the bench for CSKA Sofia today but...
Wouldn’t just be us interested in him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:02 am

Evatt said a couple of days ago that he had a proper player lined up but that he couldn't come in just yet. Sofia announced that Carey was definitely leaving now, but wouldn't be released until after their qualifiers for Europe. I'm told a report in Bulgaria has him going to us, but I don't know any more than anyone else. I'm just wondering if the pieces fit here. Supposedly he and Sarc are close and he has family in the North West. As I say, I'm just speculating.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:46 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:02 am
Evatt said a couple of days ago that he had a proper player lined up but that he couldn't come in just yet. Sofia announced that Carey was definitely leaving now, but wouldn't be released until after their qualifiers for Europe. I'm told a report in Bulgaria has him going to us, but I don't know any more than anyone else. I'm just wondering if the pieces fit here. Supposedly he and Sarc are close and he has family in the North West. As I say, I'm just speculating.
At least Sarc can't tweet him now to tell him what a bunch of impatient knobheads some Bolton "fans" are.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:03 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:46 am
At least Sarc can't tweet him now to tell him what a bunch of impatient knobheads some Bolton "fans" are.
I was wondering about that, actually. Our knobhead fans are unlikely to put players off, though. I mean, Arsenal still manage to sign players.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:32 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:03 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:46 am
I was wondering about that, actually. Our knobhead fans are unlikely to put players off, though. I mean, Arsenal still manage to sign players.
And speaking of ex-Plymouth players, Callum McFadzean is still without a club. Problem is we now have two left wingbacks - his primary position - but I can't help wondering, and I wonder if Evatt wonders too...